Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD

This is the third set of tires on the car 36 k miles. I have run the goodyear run flats 14 k , the bridgesone pole positions 22k and finally these Pilot sports
The are worthless in cold weather estimate 0.7-0.8 MU the bridgestones under the same conditions new were about 1.08 mu now after 22kmiles 1.0 mu. I feel more confident in the handling and stopping performance of my diesel pick up truck than the Z06 with these tires. They are even worse than the goodyears which were also awful in the cold . For reference I am a licensed PE I make my living by doing accident reconstruction and vehicle testing.

The car is currently parked awaiting the arrival of a new set of pole positions. The only place the car is going to be driven to is the tire shop to get these tires taken off. IF you like to drive your ZO6 on those nice winter days or early spring days and you just street driving these Michelin are scary. The Michelin tires pick up every bit of road debris and grit blast the bottom of the car. I am sure for some these are great tires. The tire rack people (Penny) were great they have a set of pole positions being shipped on monday and they are going to take the Michelins back.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,022 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgpe
This is the third set of tires on the car 36 k miles. I have run the goodyear run flats 14 k , the bridgesone pole positions 22k and finally these Pilot sports
The are worthless in cold weather estimate 0.7-0.8 MU the bridgestones under the same conditions new were about 1.08 mu now after 22kmiles 1.0 mu. I feel more confident in the handling and stopping performance of my diesel pick up truck than the Z06 with these tires. They are even worse than the goodyears which were also awful in the cold . For reference I am a licensed PE I make my living by doing accident reconstruction and vehicle testing.

The car is currently parked awaiting the arrival of a new set of pole positions. The only place the car is going to be driven to is the tire shop to get these tires taken off. IF you like to drive your ZO6 on those nice winter days or early spring days and you just street driving these Michelin are scary. The Michelin tires pick up every bit of road debris and grit blast the bottom of the car. I am sure for some these are great tires. The tire rack people (Penny) were great they have a set of pole positions being shipped on monday and they are going to take the Michelins back.
Ive yet to find a tire good when cold with 500hp. Running Bridgestones right now, might find out today seeing there brand new and it is cold here in Chicago. Winters never seem to end til May here, it sucks...
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Ive yet to find a tire good when cold with 500hp. Running Bridgestones right now, might find out today seeing there brand new and it is cold here in Chicago. Winters never seem to end til May here, it sucks...
The Bridgestones (second set) are the "least scary", I think.
I have been driving this winter on the clear but cold days (down to 25F) without issue, BUT it is done with great trepidation and no mokey business! Besides, the motor just loves the cold days...Talk about a conundrum...loves the cold, but too much Go pedal and.....
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

There’s no "performance" tire in existence that will perform ideally in the cold. The composition doesn't yet exist to qualify to such a condition.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:24 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Least worst

Originally Posted by QwikC
There’s no "performance" tire in existence that will perform ideally in the cold. The composition doesn't yet exist to qualify to such a condition.
I agree performance tires in the cold don't work anywhere near as well when cold. The bridgestones are at least livable. I moderate my driving in the cold. The bridgestones delivered 1.08 lateral g with cold tires on polished concrete (aggregate showing through ) when new and after 22 k miles still pulling 1.0 g lateral
is decent. My assistant who took the car down to the tire shop said when it got home with the new tires the Michelins said it was like driving on marbles, I agreed with him. The only reason I bought the Michelin was on the recommendation of the tire rack people. I am sure these Michelins would be great for someone in Florida but not here in NY unless you only want to drive 5-6 months a year .
BTW mine Z puts down 543 RWHP & 504 #ft torque straight line traction with these michelins was a joke EVEN WITH THE TRACTION CONTROL ON !!!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikC

I've run the OEM Z06 Goodyears and the ZR1 Michelins on my Z06. Both are equally scary when cold and stick great when warm. I'm used to it after 5 years. For owners who take their Z06s out in cold weather, Bridgestones are a compromise worth considering.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you know ps2's are summer ONLY tire right?

but just as a side note lol i agree full heartedly! Actually did a 180 on the highway last week from 20mph INSTANT spin when i tried to accelerate a bit to quick lol
Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

This is off topic, but how did you convice Tire Rack to take the Michelins back when they were mounted/used? I just looked at their web site and under their return policy it clearly states that only unused items can be returned?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
This is off topic, but how did you convice Tire Rack to take the Michelins back when they were mounted/used? I just looked at their web site and under their return policy it clearly states that only unused items can be returned?
I just ordered a set of PSIIs for my car from TireRack and I live in northern NJ. Got them because the summer is almost here and they are made for that kind of climate. Nice handle name there harrydirty!

Harry
Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default one good thing 30 day return policy

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Michelin has a 30 day return policy. They had no problem see below Dear Bruce,

It was nice talking to you. Once the Michelin tires are off the car please let me know and we can issue a UPS pick up and we will credit the original form of payment.

Please access the link below to survey the Michelin tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/index.jsp
Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
I just ordered a set of PSIIs for my car from TireRack and I live in northern NJ. Got them because the summer is almost here and they are made for that kind of climate. Nice handle name there harrydirty!

Harry
CAREFUL WHEN THEY ARE COLD I live in Rockland county just over the boarder I suspect the climate is about the same in both places
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robertaj
you know ps2's are summer ONLY tire right?

but just as a side note lol i agree full heartedly! Actually did a 180 on the highway last week from 20mph INSTANT spin when i tried to accelerate a bit to quick lol
OF course but the tire rack people recommended the PS2 ZP over the pole positions & I told them I do drive in the cold and the bridgestones were satisfactory. I should not have listened the only bad advise in many purchases @ the tire rack
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will give my Nitto Invo's the test later today or tomorrow.....should be interesting with 609 RWHP......
Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Ii live in the Pacific Northwest and our temps this time of year have been in the 30's to low 40's and when I drive with the PS2's I just don't try anything crazy handling-wise while the tires and car are cold and I haven't observed any issues. Compared to the OEM GY GEN II runflats, they are smoother, quieter and although they pick up some road debri when driving it is 10 times less than the OEM runflats.

Each to their own, but I would personally still recommend the PS2's to anyone over the OEM runflats......GM puts PS2's on the Z07 & ZR1 and I don't recall hearing anyone wrecking their car or losing control of it with these tires on them based on poor cold weather handling performance!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My nitto nt05's are pretty slick on my bone stock z before they get warm too. But when they are warm they hook!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Ii live in the Pacific Northwest and our temps this time of year have been in the 30's to low 40's and when I drive with the PS2's I just don't try anything crazy handling-wise while the tires and car are cold and I haven't observed any issues. Compared to the OEM GY GEN II runflats, they are smoother, quieter and although they pick up some road debri when driving it is 10 times less than the OEM runflats.

Each to their own, but I would personally still recommend the PS2's to anyone over the OEM runflats......GM puts PS2's on the Z07 & ZR1 and I don't recall hearing anyone wrecking their car or losing control of it with these tires on them based on poor cold weather handling performance!

I prefer the PS2s over the OEM Goodyears. Any tire in the cold will need a pilot that exercises some discretion.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I was going to replace the OEM Goodyears on my Z06 with the PS2 ZP's but saving $800 on a set of tires(plus the great reviews) made me order the Bridgestone RE050A RFT's. I'm getting them installed Tuesday. Your post makes me feel a lot better in my decision to go with the B'stones.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD

Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 PM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I like the Michelins, but boy are they sticky! Like the OP says, they find every pebble and can pit the paint unless you cover the affected panels with clear mask.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

[QUOTE=JMB;1577168974]Ii live in the Pacific Northwest and our temps this time of year have been in the 30's to low 40's and when I drive with the PS2's I just don't try anything crazy handling-wise while the tires and car are cold and I haven't observed any issues. Compared to the OEM GY GEN II runflats, they are smoother, quieter and although they pick up some road debri when driving it is 10 times less than the OEM runflats.

Each to their own, but I would personally still recommend the PS2's to anyone over the OEM runflats......GM puts PS2's on the Z07 & ZR1 and I don't recall hearing anyone wrecking their car or losing control of it with these tires on them based on poor cold weather handling performance![/QUOTE]

There is a guy in a little town about 50 miles from me that won a new ZR1 in a NCM raffle. Not long after he got it he left his house when the temp was in the low twenties. Lost it, went through a chain link fence and did ~$40,000 damage. Now you have heard of someone wrecking their car.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:51 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

OF course but the tire rack people recommended the PS2 ZP over the pole positions & I told them I do drive in the cold and the bridgestones were satisfactory. I should not have listened the only bad advise in many purchases @ the tire rack

If you sent the Michelins back to the Tire Rack facility in Windsor Locks CT please tell them there's a guy nearby that will pick 'em up and take those old used PS2's off their hands before they toss 'em in the recycle bin.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD