Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,868 Likes on 1,165 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by ockie
If they had made them wider to accommodate and look better, I think it would be a winner hands down.
Right. Tires are such the fashion accessory these days....

Get real.

jas
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikC
There’s no "performance" tire in existence that will perform ideally in the cold. The composition doesn't yet exist to qualify to such a condition.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Get real.

jas
Fashion or not, how a tire looks can be important to many people. I like a tire that looks "right". And I wouldn't want a tire that looks thinner than stock. Would you?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Fashion or not, how a tire looks can be important to many people. I like a tire that looks "right". And I wouldn't want a tire that looks thinner than stock. Would you?
The tire is to serve a single set of functions that have to do with its grip and internal suspension characteristics (yes, your tires are a part of the car's suspension). As long as they serve those functions, and are black in color, I don't give a rat's *** what they look like.

Those that are concerned with how one tire looks compared to another have, in my opinion, their performance priorities all f*cked up.

I say again: get real.

jas
Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

There are millions of people that care how a tire looks on their car. That doesn't mean they don't care about performance. Give me two tires with equal performance, and I'll choose the one that looks better(to me) on my car.

I just installed the Bridgestone RE050A RFT's and I think they look great on my Z06. Great sidewall design, great tread design and the wide look. The OEM Goodyear's also looked good, but the Bridgestone has other features I'm looking for.

When I had my C5, I installed the Michelin A/S ZP's. I did not care for the look of the Michelin's that much, but I was willing to overlook that in favor of the improved performance that the Michelin's gave me over the OEM Goodyear's. But, I would have preferred that the Michelin's looked better then they did.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
The tire is to serve a single set of functions that have to do with its grip and internal suspension characteristics (yes, your tires are a part of the car's suspension). As long as they serve those functions, and are black in color, I don't give a rat's *** what they look like.

Those that are concerned with how one tire looks compared to another have, in my opinion, their performance priorities all f*cked up.

I say again: get real.

jas
lol, sure.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

lol, sure.
Phenomenal rebuttal.

Carry on.

jas
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Got the PS2 ZP's installed on my 10 GS LPE Maggie supercharged vette today. Replaced the OEM Gen 1 runflats ( total junk Imho). The Michelins don't tramline like the Goodyears do constantly trying to follow every line in the road heading left & right needing corrections. PS2's are smoother & less noisy. In all respects a far superior tire. Well worth the money. I guess there is a good reason why the PS2 ZP is OEM on the ZR1 & Z06/Z07( my 06 C6/A6/F55 with LPE Maggie supercharger also has the PS2 ZP tires I had put on 4 months ago & the results are the same. First rate tire all the way. When I had my 08Z, I replaced the OEM Goodyear junk as well with the PS2's although non run flat & they delivered awesome performance as well). I'll leave the good "deals" on all the cheaper tires to the super thrifty crowd.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Phenomenal rebuttal.

Carry on.

jas
Thanks! I accept your apology.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgpe
This is the third set of tires on the car 36 k miles. I have run the goodyear run flats 14 k , the bridgesone pole positions 22k and finally these Pilot sports
The are worthless in cold weather estimate 0.7-0.8 MU the bridgestones under the same conditions new were about 1.08 mu now after 22kmiles 1.0 mu. I feel more confident in the handling and stopping performance of my diesel pick up truck than the Z06 with these tires. They are even worse than the goodyears which were also awful in the cold . For reference I am a licensed PE I make my living by doing accident reconstruction and vehicle testing.

The car is currently parked awaiting the arrival of a new set of pole positions. The only place the car is going to be driven to is the tire shop to get these tires taken off. IF you like to drive your ZO6 on those nice winter days or early spring days and you just street driving these Michelin are scary. The Michelin tires pick up every bit of road debris and grit blast the bottom of the car. I am sure for some these are great tires. The tire rack people (Penny) were great they have a set of pole positions being shipped on monday and they are going to take the Michelins back.
Ps-2's equal overrated. I had two sets so I know!
One reason I like my Invo's! They work fine in 33 degree's.
They work great in the rain.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I never lost control of my Z had any handling problems I could not easily deal with the PS 2 ZP. BUT the performance of the tires especially braking when cold was a real issue. You can drive as gently as you want but if you have to do emergency braking for a child running out into the road or the like the abysmal cold performance is unacceptable. I am sure the PS 2 ZP is a great tire for what it was optimized for but for what I do it is not a good fit.
My new set of PP are here they go on tomorrow and the PS2 ZP are waiting for the call tag from the tire rack when they come off the car
Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 PM
ockie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Get real.

jas

What an amazing rebuttal you have here....

I wonder why you bought a corvette, it certainly is not for the looks according to you.... maybe you should get hub caps

Some people are hilarious... they will blindly defend something and attack others simply because thats what they blindly use.

Fashion accessory, lmfao, too funny
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
ockie
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
There are millions of people that care how a tire looks on their car. That doesn't mean they don't care about performance. Give me two tires with equal performance, and I'll choose the one that looks better(to me) on my car.

I just installed the Bridgestone RE050A RFT's and I think they look great on my Z06. Great sidewall design, great tread design and the wide look. The OEM Goodyear's also looked good, but the Bridgestone has other features I'm looking for.

When I had my C5, I installed the Michelin A/S ZP's. I did not care for the look of the Michelin's that much, but I was willing to overlook that in favor of the improved performance that the Michelin's gave me over the OEM Goodyear's. But, I would have preferred that the Michelin's looked better then they did.

Exactly what you said here. When the performance metrics match and it's a matter of looks, most certainly I am going to go then for looks.

Also, when you can potentially get more miles and save 600+ to boot, it's a no brainer.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Ps-2's equal overrated. I had two sets so I know!
One reason I like my Invo's! They work fine in 33 degree's.
They work great in the rain.
Are you talking about the PS2 ZP? I'm not even convinced we know which Michelins the OP is talking about either. No where does he say if they were the ZP's or the earlier non-ZP which was made in the 345 size, but not 325.

I have the newer PS2 ZP (which btw don't say PS2 anywhere on them). The coldest I have driven them is in the 40's. I've been very pleased with them. In cooler weather they still broke lose as just about any tire will in cold weather.

With the temps around 70 last weekend they did not break lose at all in second gear. My factory Goodyears always broke lose in second gear.

Even in cooler weather (upper 50s) I've seen 1.00 G in the curves with them and they felt great.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Thanks! I accept your apology.
Hell has yet to freeze over; you've received no such apology from me yet. I encourage you to hold your breath while you wait for it though.

I wonder why you bought a corvette, it certainly is not for the looks according to you....
Hm. I see what I'm working with here. At no point did I say the car can't look good. Of course I appreciate the looks of the Corvette. I'm not really sure how you read what I posted and comprehended it as: I can't appreciate a car's beauty.

Tires are a set of 4 ablative chunks of rubber whose single goal in life is to be destroyed, bit by bit, on roads or race tracks. They're not a fashion accessory. They're a functional one. The wheels can be both a fashion and functional accessory. The tires are not. They're simply there to live and die in a slow but hopefully productive manner by keeping the car glued to the road.

they will blindly defend something and attack others simply because thats what they blindly use.
Is English a second language for you? I'm not sure I can quite grok that statement. I'm going to take a stab at it and say it in a slightly different manner, please correct me if I'm wrong:

"..they will blindly defend a product and attack others who don't use that product."

Is that basically what you were trying to say? If so, know that I'm not defending any product here. For all out summer performance, the Michelin PS2s can't be topped by anything Bridgestone makes for the road. Can you argue that point? Read it CAREFULLY before you attempt to, please.

Now, that said, I fully understand that there are other performance, and cost(!) reasons for picking a different tire. Perhaps the performance in this case is: you want something that'll last a bit longer. Hey, no sweat there. I'm all over that. Remember the old Firestone Firehawk SZ50s? I quickly trashed the Goodyears on my C4 and replaced them with Firehawks. Loved 'em. Remember the Firehawk SZ50 Run-Flats? Did the same thing with those on my C5 after the F1s died.

(Psst... Firestone == Bridgestone...)

What about track time? Do you think I use my supposed "blindly defended" PS2s on the track? Oh hell no. R-compounds all the way. Because I don't need to worry about them lasting as long, nor do I need to worry about getting a flat tire. Or a quieter and softer, more compliant ride.

You have no idea what my understanding is of tires. So don't attempt to attack me for a lack of knowledge and "blind defense". Trust me, m'boy, you haven't clue one here.

When the performance metrics match and it's a matter of looks, most certainly I am going to go then for looks
Fine. But the performance metrics here DON'T match, depending on which performance metrics you're looking at. Such as: dry grip, wet grip, cold grip, ride comfort (hard to quantify that one), overall tire life, etc.

jas
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUwwx...layer_embedded
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 AM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

How are the New Goodyear F-1 RFT's? Overall, are they bettyer than the older gen?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Are you talking about the PS2 ZP? I'm not even convinced we know which Michelins the OP is talking about either. No where does he say if they were the ZP's or the earlier non-ZP which was made in the 345 size, but not 325.

I have the newer PS2 ZP (which btw don't say PS2 anywhere on them). The coldest I have driven them is in the 40's. I've been very pleased with them. In cooler weather they still broke lose as just about any tire will in cold weather.

With the temps around 70 last weekend they did not break lose at all in second gear. My factory Goodyears always broke lose in second gear.

Even in cooler weather (upper 50s) I've seen 1.00 G in the curves with them and they felt great.
You're wasting your breath Jim.....he must have been picked on as a child by a french kid,he never misses an opportunity to trash Michelins and sing the virtues of the Invo.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
ockie
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
Hm. I see what I'm working with here. At no point did I say the car can't look good. Of course I appreciate the looks of the Corvette. I'm not really sure how you read what I posted and comprehended it as: I can't appreciate a car's beauty.
You clearly stated that you're not in it for looks, so which is it now?

Originally Posted by jvp
Tires are a set of 4 ablative chunks of rubber whose single goal in life is to be destroyed, bit by bit, on roads or race tracks. They're not a fashion accessory. They're a functional one. The wheels can be both a fashion and functional accessory. The tires are not. They're simply there to live and die in a slow but hopefully productive manner by keeping the car glued to the road.
... And when performance is the same... why would you settle for the one that looks uglier and takes away from the aggressive stance plus save some money and you can run in colder weather?

Originally Posted by jvp
Is English a second language for you? I'm not sure I can quite grok that statement. I'm going to take a stab at it and say it in a slightly different manner, please correct me if I'm wrong:
Actually, it's one of the 5 languages I can fluently speak. How many do you speak? I love it when people bash your English but they are unable to speak anything else.

Originally Posted by jvp
Is that basically what you were trying to say? If so, know that I'm not defending any product here. For all out summer performance, the Michelin PS2s can't be topped by anything Bridgestone makes for the road. Can you argue that point? Read it CAREFULLY before you attempt to, please.
I read it CAREFULLY If you're looking at driving on public roads only on warm/hot days, do not care what your tire looks like, get less mileage, and are willing to spend over $600 more... then I will FULLY AGREE with you

Originally Posted by jvp
Now, that said, I fully understand that there are other performance, and cost(!) reasons for picking a different tire. Perhaps the performance in this case is: you want something that'll last a bit longer. Hey, no sweat there. I'm all over that. Remember the old Firestone Firehawk SZ50s? I quickly trashed the Goodyears on my C4 and replaced them with Firehawks. Loved 'em. Remember the Firehawk SZ50 Run-Flats? Did the same thing with those on my C5 after the F1s died.

(Psst... Firestone == Bridgestone...)

So we can agree with this.

Firestone? Big deal. There is goodyear, known to be a great company but obviously produced **** for us... every tire company has garbage out there, some more than others. I'm sure I can find a garbage bridgestone somewhere too.

Originally Posted by jvp
You have no idea what my understanding is of tires. So don't attempt to attack me for a lack of knowledge and "blind defense". Trust me, m'boy, you haven't clue one here.
Sure sure.

Originally Posted by jvp
Fine. But the performance metrics here DON'T match, depending on which performance metrics you're looking at. Such as: dry grip, wet grip, cold grip, ride comfort (hard to quantify that one), overall tire life, etc.

jas
No they don't match, the Bridgestones are better overall.

I'm done in this thread, I provided some actual information, you did not besides your fashion comments (I'm sure if we're in a fashion forum we would care what fashion critiques you have). I've ran with both tires and seen both tires side by side, so I can actually give some input. I decided with the PP's because I feel that they are better over all, the benefits are hard to ignore when the performance is virtually the same. I would prefer to take a better looking tire when the performance metrics is the same, especially when I saved $600 to boot. Had the PS2's been $600 cheaper than the bridgestones, I would have had to sit down and think about it for a long time (because now it would be looks over price).

Us Z06 drivers love our cars for it's performance and it's LOOKS. If we wanted more performance and less looks, there would have been other options out there (think Ariel Atom 500 for example). To say looks do not matter, well, I do not know what to tell you..

Do not bother quoting or responding to my post, as it's the last time I'm posting in here. It's time to move onto another subject.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD