Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

There is a guy in a little town about 50 miles from me that won a new ZR1 in a NCM raffle. Not long after he got it he left his house when the temp was in the low twenties. Lost it, went through a chain link fence and did ~$40,000 damage. Now you have heard of someone wrecking their car.
Thanks, now I am better informed!

Curious though...was wrecking the car due to poor handling, smoking the tires when he shouldn't have been or the fact that it was 20° outside and there was ice, frost or a frozen glaze on the roadway
Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Ii live in the Pacific Northwest and our temps this time of year have been in the 30's to low 40's and when I drive with the PS2's I just don't try anything crazy handling-wise while the tires and car are cold and I haven't observed any issues. Compared to the OEM GY GEN II runflats, they are smoother, quieter and although they pick up some road debri when driving it is 10 times less than the OEM runflats.

Each to their own, but I would personally still recommend the PS2's to anyone over the OEM runflats......GM puts PS2's on the Z07 & ZR1 and I don't recall hearing anyone wrecking their car or losing control of it with these tires on them based on poor cold weather handling performance!
I agree.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB

Curious though...was wrecking the car due to poor handling, smoking the tires when he shouldn't have been or the fact that it was 20° outside and there was ice, frost or a frozen glaze on the roadway
My understanding was that he gave it more gas then what the tires could hold, driving to work. He had just left his home in the morning, the car coolant/oil was still cold, so I doubt if he was being stupid(but you never know). Roads were dry.

Based on my 505 HP experiences with the OEM GY's in temps below 50 degrees, it only takes a little gas to set them spinning. I suspect that with 638Hp it's even worse getting traction.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stock supercars still have some usable tread and they are worthless for any type of spirited driving in colder temps. Driving conservatively, I don't have any trouble. Foot to the floor and its trouble all the way.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB

The ZR1 is insanely fast and at that temp you would bust the tires loose with very little pressure on the pedal.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
I just ordered a set of PSIIs for my car from TireRack and I live in northern NJ. Got them because the summer is almost here and they are made for that kind of climate. Nice handle name there harrydirty!

Harry
Yeah, I tried for Dirty Harry when I registered, but that (and some variations) were already taken!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I disagree with your evaluation but I agree the Michelin PS2 tires slip quite easily when cold, but so do all the other extreme performance summer tires. You have to give them a few minutes to warm up, especially if it is damp and cold out. When new, they need to be heat cycled before they work properly. When I put the new set on my Z06 last year I pulled out of the tire shop and almost did a 180. I heat cycled them a few times, let them warm up, and then they are absolutley great!

Think about your remarks. You say they pick up every pebble in the road. They do that because they are sticky. But, they are a dual compound tire and to work properly on a 500hp car the entire tread needs to warm up for a few minutes. Remember, they are the tire GM chose for the ZR1 and Z07.

Michelin is coming out with a new Super Sport tire to join the Pilot Sport lineup. Just not sure when the Z06 sizes will be available.

Best of luck with the Bridgestones.

Last edited by Vito.A; 03-26-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Ive yet to find a tire good when cold with 500hp. Running Bridgestones right now, might find out today seeing there brand new and it is cold here in Chicago. Winters never seem to end til May here, it sucks...
NT05's did fine in snow with 690 rwhp. Surprised me. But any tire in the cold is going to give subpar performance. Esp. at high HP levels.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Vito.A,

could you please explain how one heat cycles the tires
(assume they are mounted on the car) ?

thx Gary
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Vito.A,

could you please explain how one heat cycles the tires
(assume they are mounted on the car) ?

thx Gary
Not trying to speak for Vito, but basically, take the car out for a sufficiently long drive (could be 30 minutes on the highway if it's cold enough), and monitor your tire pressure on the DIC, they will eventually max out, typically 3-4 psi above cold pressure (maybe 2 psi more if it's absolutely freezing). At that point they're warm. Take the car back home and they'll cool down. After you repeat the warming/cooling process a few times, the tires will be broken in.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

boost2na,

thank you for the explanation.

I've basically done this already; just wasn't sure if there was more to it...

Gary

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 03-26-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be way off track but I would have thought a licensed PE would have been a lot smarter than this.
Gary
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
boost2na
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
boost2na,

thank you for the explanation.

I've basically done this already; just wasn't sure if there was more to it...

Gary
No problem. I think others have said it best, with the Z06 (and especially the ZR1), there's only so much you can do in cold temperatures. I've taken my Z06 out a few times in ~45 degree dry weather, the absolute best I could do, with the tires hot (hour of highway driving, 34 psi, from 30 psi cold) was easing into first then increasing to about 80% throttle before the shift to 2nd, briefly easing into 2nd then steadily increasing to full throttle. And it stuck.

These cars are animals.

Rob
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

they are; I just try to learn as much as I can about their capabilities and peculiarities every day

as has been said: ...have come far, but still have far to go...

thx again G

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 03-27-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default duty cycle and tire selection THERE IS NO "BEST TIRE"

Originally Posted by boost2na
No problem. I think others have said it best, with the Z06 (and especially the ZR1), there's only so much you can do in cold temperatures. I've taken my Z06 out a few times in ~45 degree dry weather, the absolute best I could do, with the tires hot (hour of highway driving, 34 psi, from 30 psi cold) was easing into first then increasing to about 80% throttle before the shift to 2nd, briefly easing into 2nd then steadily increasing to full throttle. And it stuck.

These cars are animals.

Rob
THERE IS NO "BEST TIRE"
Tire selection is a function of the duty cycle. I know this is stating the obvious. My typical drive is about 8-9 miles to and from my gym I go 5 days a week sometimes more. It is a short drive. Within 2 miles
I am getting onto a parkway with a tight on ramp with severely polished concrete with a short acceleration ramp. SO FOR ME and what I use the car for cold traction IS a big issue. The Z is a daily driver with a short commute. IF I wanted to drive a car with the performance of a some nondescript econo box I might as well drive that as the Z with either the goodyears or michelins due to poor cold traction performs about the same. So for all of you who love their tire great you selected the "right" tire for what is important to what YOU do.
For me and what I do the Bridgestones are the best. When warm they pull 1.27 latteral on a traffic polished asphalt. So warm they are ok too
They may NOT be good at the track when hot I don't know I don't track the car.
I think these tire posts are really worth while if I knew what I know now could have saved myself the two tire mounts and balance and not lost the use of the car for 3-4 days.
BTW today is very pretty clear blue sky sunshine but 27 degrees, I would be driving my car to the gym today if I had my old bridgestones on it. I will be driving my 02 STS instead it performs way better than the Z right now.

Last edited by cbgpe; 03-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
boost2na
Racer

Originally Posted by cbgpe
THERE IS NO "BEST TIRE"
I should have been more specific, I meant best traction I could achieve in cold weather. Also, wasn't trying to knock you in any way. If you found what works best for you, that's all that matters.

I think you nailed it though, for your type of drives, it's probably better to take something else if you can.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you guys describe what "heat cycling" is? Pardon my mechanical ignorance.

Harry

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boost2na
I should have been more specific, I meant best traction I could achieve in cold weather. Also, wasn't trying to knock you in any way. If you found what works best for you, that's all that matters.

I think you nailed it though, for your type of drives, it's probably better to take something else if you can.
I appreciated the clarification , THANKS !!!
The Bridgestones work quite well when cold even very cold. When they were new, when it was below freezing they would pull 1.08 lateral g new. The goodyears would do a big slide at .9 under the same conditions with active handling on. as the pole positions aged the got down to about 1.0 g with no slide that is why they are coming off @ 22k miles about 0.125 tread over the wear bars on the fronts less on the rear (I wonder why ...LOL ). This was after about 2 miles of slow suburban driving and maybe 2-3 stops. This was on a worn out concrete surface a challenge for most tires as the aggregate was worn smooth with no sharp asperities. These levels of performance are plenty for the street and as they warm up they get better quickly, so it makes the Z a livable daily driver for much of the year, a plus for me. SO the Bridgestone for those who need this aspect of performance might be the best choice but well may not be that good very hot day or on the track. The right answer depends on the the question that is being asked, to state the obvious yet again
Thanks for everyone's comments
Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM
dagartdan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This topic has been beat to death! Summer tires suck when the temp is below 40 degrees and don't have the traction as they do in the warm season. This being said, Michelin does have an All Season tire that works well on c5 size rims, but doesn't make a tire in an z06/GS size to fit the rear end of a c6. My question is , why not? You can get a front All Season tire but no one makes a rear A/S tire -325 30 19? BTW, the Michelin A/S will get 40000 miles under normal driving conditions and I believe the speed rating is Y? Why can't they produce a tire that will fit our rims with A/S features?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 PM
ldimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question for all of you folks that have gone through different manufacturers tires........Have you found any real difference any that really do seem to throw less stones and road cinders? Or are they all pretty much the same especially when warmed up. I've only experience with original GY's which seem to me at least to throw quite a few stones.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 SCARY WHEN COLD