Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 Crashes @ TX2K11

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

When no one gets hurt....it's all good.
I was on an L-1011 that taxied off the runway into mud.......people who are really good at things still make little mistakes.....then it is all about being embarrassed.

Here is the real answer to this.......

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Teddy Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by LTVN68
Here is the real answer to this.......

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Teddy Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Nice words, but he was just trying to do a burnout, not save a country.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Nice words, but he was just trying to do a burnout, not save a country.
Hey......this country is about beyond saving thanks to our out of control budget busting congress.......I was just trying to find nobility in the lesser things. LOL!
But you are right...it was just a burnout.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

probably inner fender liner too that is glue to the frame is f'ed as well

prolly more like 6k damage
Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by dvandentop
probably inner fender liner too that is glue to the frame is f'ed as well

prolly more like 6k damage
Plus any property damage suffered by the drag strip.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TFocker
It sure looks like he would have tagged the car in the right lane if that guard rail hadn't been there. That would have sucked even more.
I'm glad the guardrail was there, because that was me in the right line, in my Z06. I heard a KABOOOOOM! and thought the guy had blown his engine doing a burnout. I was about to pre-stage when the accident happened, I didn't see it happen but I heard it loudly and saw the track crew guys jump. It was a terrible mess to look at, parts of the car were scattered all over my lane too.

I only suffered minor carnage yesterday, a burnt up factory clutch. I guess it can't handle 620 rwhp and 600 ft-lbs. LOL

Tony
Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
Embarrassing at any angle.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately learning of a personal inability is never rewarding.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
milo337
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch...suxs for the owner.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:54 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So sad!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineBall
I'm glad the guardrail was there, because that was me in the right line, in my Z06.
THAT would have truly sucked T. Missed some good runs last night...should have unloaded her to see what was left on the clutch...although Sam Adams looked like he was holding the keys.

Ironic his forum name fits the bill...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:46 PM
nspec
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were suppose to run each other sometime soon.
Hopefully the car recovers very fast.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Always start your burnout in the box, and drive out of it until you feel the rears start to bite. When he tried his second burnout he was already too close to the lights.
Sorry, but that's bad advice and doing so could potentially cause more damage than what happened on the video both to you and other drivers.

The point of the water box is to drive through it, not do your burnout there. If you're not getting your tires wet enough you need to either blip the throttle as you're passing through it or have them spray it a bit more. As soon as you start doing burnouts in the water box you end up splashing water all around (and in some cases dragging it right up to the staging lights) which can make it dangerous for everybody in that lane.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

What bothers me is the "Fire Guy" checking the damage before he checks on the drivers condition

Clif
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by rattt g
i you look good he had the front weels locked up, with the wheel
turned to the rite, so when he let the brake go it just shot rite, the
2 nd video shows the front wheel sliding while turned to the rite
Good eye, you're correct, front wheel(s) were locked up and sliding. I bet the driver didn't realize the front wheels were sliding forward locked and thus didn't realize they were pointed so far right. I'm hatin' it for him, what a horrible way to ruin a raceday.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
Sorry, but that's bad advice and doing so could potentially cause more damage than what happened on the video both to you and other drivers.

The point of the water box is to drive through it, not do your burnout there. If you're not getting your tires wet enough you need to either blip the throttle as you're passing through it or have them spray it a bit more. As soon as you start doing burnouts in the water box you end up splashing water all around (and in some cases dragging it right up to the staging lights) which can make it dangerous for everybody in that lane.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

When you open a thread like this you expect to see a crash halfway down the track, not before the car even stages.

I feel sorry for him. This is part of the reason I don't drag race anymore. I really don't want to pay for the damage out of my own pocket if something does go wrong - and it could be the other driver.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Crashes @ TX2K11

Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jschindler
When you open a thread like this you expect to see a crash halfway down the track, not before the car even stages.

I feel sorry for him. This is part of the reason I don't drag race anymore. I really don't want to pay for the damage out of my own pocket if something does go wrong - and it could be the other driver.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 AM
DriftKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by rattt g
i you look good he had the front weels locked up, with the wheel
turned to the rite, so when he let the brake go it just shot rite, the
2 nd video shows the front wheel sliding while turned to the rite
Originally Posted by DriftKing
Good eye, you're correct, front wheel(s) were locked up and sliding. I bet the driver didn't realize the front wheels were sliding forward locked and thus didn't realize they were pointed so far right. I'm hatin' it for him, what a horrible way to ruin a raceday.
The videos don't show it, but I wouldn't be suprised if the driver drove the front tires through the water instead of driving around and backing only the rears into the box. Would certainly explain why the fronts slid locked. Good reminder to ALWAYS drive around the water to keep your fronts dry!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
I'm glad the guardrail was there, because that was me in the right line, in my Z06. I heard a KABOOOOOM! and thought the guy had blown his engine doing a burnout. I was about to pre-stage when the accident happened, I didn't see it happen but I heard it loudly and saw the track crew guys jump. It was a terrible mess to look at, parts of the car were scattered all over my lane too.

I only suffered minor carnage yesterday, a burnt up factory clutch. I guess it can't handle 620 rwhp and 600 ft-lbs. LOL

Tony
I was like 10 feet from you guys leaning on the fence. Watching it that close was brutal, but knowing your car and the tech crew were safe made it easier to swallow. I'll never understand why people don't just turn trac off w/stab on, and stop burning out once the car rolls out. It was a 2 stage disaster.

Seriously, your clutch is toast! About 5-8 seconds after your last 2 passes the cloud of clutch smoke caught us. Nice 10.8 run, car was haulin the mail before it let out. May want to give RPS a call now. I was in your shoes last summer, couldnt be happier now.

Hopefully you got your car out of Frankensteins unscathed, that turned into a sloppy mess. People were draggin beer bottles across fenders, putting their kids on the lambos to take pics, just careless and thoughtless. I wasn't the least bit upset I didn't tow my Katechz down at that point. It was a great weekend all in all. I will load up some pics we took soon.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 Crashes @ TX2K11