Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just Got T-Boned !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Heliman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got T-Boned !!!

Right after dark I was going through an intersection about 40 mph and a woman pulled out just as I was going through the intersection. She was as a stop sign and I had the right of way. Fortunately no one was hurt but my baby is seriously screwed up on the passenger side. The brunt of the force was on the door and it is completely destroyed and the front and rear fenders are cracked near the door. The glove box will not open and there is thousands of pieces of glass throughout the interior. It has a flat front tire and possible rim damage. None of the air bags deployed. Had a good chat with the OnStar lady.

My main concern is that there may be frame damage. Is there anyone here that has ever had experience with dealing with their insurance company regarding frame damage to a C6Z?

Also is there some kind of checklist for owners to make sure they get the car back in shape? I run at VIR and question if it will ever perform the same.

Other than that I've had a great day.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Sorry, for the hit... glad every one is ok... sounds like your car is toast..

But on the bright side, with insurance, just replace her.

Garry
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM
SquashAZ
Advanced

Good luck with whoever's insurance company is paying. be prepared for a long drawn out process and they will do any thing to not total your car. Hold you ground and remind the insurance about the existence of CAR FAX as even if they repair your car is will be more or less worthless when it comes to resale...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Heliman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ranger1
Sorry, for the hit... glad every one is ok... sounds like your car is toast..

But on the bright side, with insurance, just replace her.

Garry
I wish I could find a bright side right now.
In my dreams I guess they could just offer me a new Z06 Carbon Edition as replacement.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Heliman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SquashAZ
Good luck with whoever's insurance company is paying. be prepared for a long drawn out process and they will do any thing to not total your car. Hold you ground and remind the insurance about the existence of CAR FAX as even if they repair your car is will be more or less worthless when it comes to resale...
Yep, I have already thought about resale value. Basically I just took a 20k hit if they don't total it. I know if I were buying a 15,000 mile car with damage history I'd think twice.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I was just talking to my agent last week. Depending on your policy your company may represent you instead of you having to do battle with the company of the party at fault. That can be a big advantage and can expedite the solution, assuming your company is a good one. However it works for you, best of luck getting the result you want.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Heliman
I wish I could find a bright side right now.
In my dreams I guess they could just offer me a new Z06 Carbon Edition as replacement.
That really SUCKS sorry to hear about this very distressing to say the least.

Here is the bright side though, its an insured car that will be either replaced or properly repaired, and thank GOD you are not lying in a hospital bed having e/r surgery to see if you wiill be able to walk again or not so extreme, getting ready for serious back surgery b/c of a herniated disc or fractured vertebrae.

The car will be replaced/fixed, yes it REALLY SUCKS and would bum me out also, but you HAVE TO keep things in perspective and be thankful that you were not injured, b/c a bad injury pales in comparison as to what your going to have to endure. I mean getting T-Boned is one of the worst accident scenerios and you could have been killed!!

Best of luck, but that should help you put things in perspective, its an insured piece of personal property, and things could have been MUCH, MUCH WORSE for you and thank GOD it was not!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Pics?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Roidz
Pro

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy

Here is the bright side though, its an insured car that will be either replaced or properly repaired, and thank GOD you are not lying in a hospital bed having e/r surgery to see if you wiill be able to walk again or not so extreme, getting ready for serious back surgery b/c of a herniated disc or fractured vertebrae.

The car will be replaced/fixed, yes it REALLY SUCKS and would bum me out also, but you HAVE TO keep things in perspective and be thankful that you were not injured, b/c a bad injury pales in comparison as to what your going to have to endure. I mean getting T-Boned is one of the worst accident scenerios and you could have been killed!!

Best of luck, but that should help you put things in perspective, its an insured piece of personal property, and things could have been MUCH, MUCH WORSE for you and thank GOD it was not!
Good to hear you're alright.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Let's hope the woman doesn't have the same insurance as you. Don't accept anything but replacement. Aluminum frame isn't easily repaired. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
Pics?
As much as I too would want to see pics, I'm sure it's better we don't have that image in our heads! Let's remember these cars as they should be: in one piece and w/o frame damage! To the op...I really hope they total the car. I would be irate if they didn't.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 AM
SpeedyGjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy

Very well said!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

When I had my accident I allowed them to use used parts.(Silly I know now.) I had a lot of mods that I would never recoup if it totaled. I just wanted my car back. Demand new parts, total it out and start over.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Used parts are ok but the mark on your car fax will devalue the car forever. That sucks but buyers prefer clean history cars. I doubt the insurance company takes that into account.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Used parts are ok but the mark on your car fax will devalue the car forever. That sucks but buyers prefer clean history cars. I doubt the insurance company takes that into account.
If the insurance company doesn't take into account "dimished value", a letter from your attorney might help.
Glad to hear that you are OK.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Sorry to hear of the accident. Hold out for a new Z.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Heliman
Intermediate

I talked to the dealership owner who is a friend and his body shop man and they are almost positive there is no frame damage. They are going to put it on some kind of a frame machine to check it though. So far their estimate is a little over 16k for repairs. The amount of repairs needed for the car to be totaled is $44,000. According to the body shop guy they can leave some sort of open account so if anything pops up 6 months from now it would be covered. He also said they will use only new GM OEM parts. If there is any frame damage he said they would total the car.

I also have a GM protection plan extended warranty that is good for several more years and about 50,000 miles so I am good from that end. (I knew there was some reason I kept it stock)

Anyway, I'm feeling better about the fact that there appears to be no frame damage cause I'd be pissed off as hell if they would only give me $44,000 for the vehicle. I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that it will now have a "criminal record". It also might be a situation that they will give me some kind of cash settlement on top of the repair but I'm not holding my breath.

I've taken some pics and will try to put them up later for all you gore lovers.

Last edited by Heliman; 02-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Got T-Boned !!!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Wow.

Thankfully you're alright, the car can be replaced.
Hopefully the gal's insurance company won't try jacking you around.

You're not alone, though.
Last Wed my wife was t-boned in her CTS-4 while she had 3 passengers with her, also.
Every airbag & air curtain deployed except the steering wheel, one has to SEE the inside to believe it. As much as those things can & do prevent serious injury they also result in serious expense, too.

Good luck, you're safe and that's the important part.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Landru
Wow.

Thankfully you're alright, the car can be replaced.
Hopefully the gal's insurance company won't try jacking you around.

You're not alone, though.
Last Wed my wife was t-boned in her CTS-4 while she had 3 passengers with her, also.
Every airbag & air curtain deployed except the steering wheel, one has to SEE the inside to believe it. As much as those things can & do prevent serious injury they also result in serious expense, too.

Good luck, you're safe and that's the important part.
The fastest and easiet way is for him to go through his own insurance company and they in turn will go after her insurance for reimbursement (called subrogation law), and its much faster and painless that way on the original poster, and no doubt is the way I would go!

Also, his rates should not go up b/c the accident is not chargeable to him (not his fault).
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The $44K figure you mention is probably the dollar amout of damage required to total the car, not the figure you would recieve if they indeed do claim it a total loss.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just Got T-Boned !!!