Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Those with an Odyssey PC925 please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Those with an Odyssey PC925 please step inside.

Hi guys,

So my Z06 has been in storage for a while -- long story short, moved to a place and don't have a garage. Storing it at the parents until things improve. (no there is nothing shady going on as it's paid for)

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925.htm

I had a Brailled 11# battery in it... worked fine. Although I didn't have the foresight to put a charger on it and now it's sulfated. Kaput!

I need a replacement battery and am going with something slightly beefier - I have my eye on the Odyssey PC925. It's 24lbs, so it has plenty of juice to do what I need it to do.

My question: I see on their site that it's a right side Positive terminal. While my Braille was a left side positive. Is this a problem at all? I know the red and black hookup cables don't have much slack down in the battery compartment.

Looking at the dimensions and the fact the battery is mostly a cube (vs a tall rectangle for the Braille) it looks as if it won't be an issue as I can just spin the battery around.

Did you guys with the PC925 have any issues with fitment or getting the terminals to reach proper? I already have the universal mounting hardware leftover from my braille which is the same type of hold down Odyssey uses. This looks to be just the right battery for me, it's 8 pounds lighter than stock but not as anemic when it comes to reserve capacity and ability to crank. This is a Texas vette so there will be no issues with "cold cranking".

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

bump?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 AM
eeagle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the Odyssey PC1200. Definitely smaller and lighter than stock plus terminals are on the correct side. Fits easily in the battery compartment and the stock hold down works fine.

Don't know about the PC925.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem with the PC925 fitting. Initially I though I was going to need to get the one with the reversed posts (it costs about 10 bucks more) but when I realised I could just stand the standard version on it's side I got it. But ultimately I didn't even have to stand it on it's side to get the cables to reach.

Interestingly the PC925 I got replaced a 15 lb Braille which only worked well for about 6 months before it started to make me nervious.

I'm a weight-wennie so adding 9 lbs to my car really bothered me, but what bothered me more was getting stranded

Cheers, Paul.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
08jetvette
Instructor

http://www.dekabatteries.com/ZipSearch.aspx?pageid=843

Heres a Deka distibutor in Carrollton. I've been running their EXT18L for over a year. It has been holding up way better than the 15 lb Braille I had. Since I've found them, I've been buying all my batteries there. I paid less than a 100 bucks for that one. Might swap out to the ETX30L when I finish the audio install.

Link to the info.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0278(6.10).pdf
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how well the ETX18L manages to live over the long term with an automotive charging system.

The guys around the corner who sold me the PC925 said it absolutely would have NO issues over the long run dealing with the amperage of an automotive charging system. The reason I believe them is because, they are just around the corner, so they know if they're wrong I'll be back and it wont be with a smile on my face.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 08jetvette

Heres a Deka distibutor in Carrollton. I've been running their EXT18L for over a year. It has been holding up way better than the 15 lb Braille I had. Since I've found them, I've been buying all my batteries there. I paid less than a 100 bucks for that one. Might swap out to the ETX30L when I finish the audio install.

Link to the info.

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah my 11# braille battery made me nervous more than a few times. With a mild to wild system and the wireless FOB system... I might have been able to leave my car parked for 5 days only before I lost enough power to be able to crank the engine.

I kept a charger on it religiously when I had my vette at my old place with my own private attached garage. My Z has been in storage though for almost a year with my folks, so I think a fresh start battery wise is what's needed. I did learn my lesson though on leaving a battery connected to the car but not charged. I know it got dropped to below 10V and has been compromised in terms of integrity. I left my trickle charger on it for 2 days straight and the light on the charger never went to "green/charged"
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 08jetvette

Link to the info.

They make the batteries for Braille but are much cheaper. I am running one in my turbo S2000 and have had great luck
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM
08jetvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
It'll be interesting to see how well the ETX18L manages to live over the long term with an automotive charging system.

The guys around the corner who sold me the PC925 said it absolutely would have NO issues over the long run dealing with the amperage of an automotive charging system. The reason I believe them is because, they are just around the corner, so they know if they're wrong I'll be back and it wont be with a smile on my face.

Cheers, Paul.
Its been in the car for almost two years. Haven't had a problem so far. The last five months its been cranking the car with 12.5 compression. I'm sure the odesey is great, but the deka distributor is around the corner from me.

Get notified of new replies

To Those with an Odyssey PC925 please step inside.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Those with an Odyssey PC925 please step inside.