Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery Tender and Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
augydog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Battery Tender and Dead Battery

I've got a 2007 Z and had a Deltron Battery Tender Plus on it for 3 years.

Never had a problem till today. Went out to start it, and just clicked, clicked, clicked. Lights, doors, radio, worked ok.

I guess its the battery? Anyway, I thought the battery tender would take care of the battery for at least 5 or 6 years.

What's your experiences?

Tia,

augydog
Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I keep a battery tender on mine at all times when home. My '07 battery went south after 3 years too.

My '01 Z06 was still going after 6 years.

Sorry, I had to try the new Smiley.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I would guess you bought it from a dealer and did not put the new battery in yourself If you did, the history of the battery is unknown. On dealers' lots some batteries have gone flat dead several times and charged back up before you buy the car. Keeping it on the tender is the way to go but if it was damaged before you bought it, it may not last or hold a charge over the long term. Just my thoughts....
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
I would guess you bought it from a dealer and did not put the new battery in yourself If you did, the history of the battery is unknown. On dealers' lots some batteries have gone flat dead several times and charged back up before you buy the car. Keeping it on the tender is the way to go but if it was damaged before you bought it, it may not last or hold a charge over the long term.

Happened to me, if a trickle charger doesn't keep a cell charged, it's because the cell is bad. Not the charger.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by foremaw
I would guess you bought it from a dealer and did not put the new battery in yourself If you did, the history of the battery is unknown. On dealers' lots some batteries have gone flat dead several times and charged back up before you buy the car. Keeping it on the tender is the way to go but if it was damaged before you bought it, it may not last or hold a charge over the long term. Just my thoughts....
Happened to me on my 05.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A dead/shorted cell can happen at any time, even on new battery's. Had a two month old battery in a pick up truck a few year's back and happened. Also coming back from a business trip, drove my car home from the airport parking lot just fine. Went for a grocery run a bit later, and click. Age and as mentioned, what went on at the dealer early on are important factor's, but vibration is usually the worst thing.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:20 PM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Kept my tender on my 04 Z06's original battery (7/03 production) for 7 years without any issue. In July of 2010 I replaced the battery with another Delco just because it was beyond the normal life time for a battery. I still have the battery and it holds a charge without any problems.
I now have my tender on my 09 Z06. I keep it on there all the time when not driving the car. It is set up with an external connection so it is easy to plug in and unplug.
Who knows why batteries go dead. One of the mysteries of the world why one battery lasts longer than another.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

When my Museum Delivery C6 was ready to be driven outside it needed a jump start. (:

My Trans Am's Optima red top did the clicking 2 weeks ago while the BT Plus was attached, but only need the positive cable tightened to come to life. This might be the OP's problem.

The 07Z was delivered on 1/25/07, has never been attached to a charger and has always started.

All 3 are true.

Joel
Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

First thing I would check is the battery cable connections to the battery. For many years battery cables and posts have caused replacements of batterys when all that had to be done was to clean the posts and cable ends and make sure the cables were bolted back into place correctly. With the rear battery position the Z06 is more susceptible to high resistance connections than the base Vette due to the added resistance of the long battery cables running from the rear of the car to the front. Also check the grounding point for the negative battery cable and the B+ connection of the positive battery cable at the underhood electrical center.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-31-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by fly a Z06
When my Museum Delivery C6 was ready to be driven outside it needed a jump start. (:

My Trans Am's Optima red top did the clicking 2 weeks ago while the BT Plus was attached, but only need the positive cable tightened to come to life. This might be the OP's problem.

The 07Z was delivered on 1/25/07, has never been attached to a charger and has always started.

All 3 are true.

Joel
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
First thing I would check is the battery cable connections to the battery. For many years battery cables and posts have caused replacements of batterys when all that had to be done was to clean the posts and cable ends and make sure the cables were bolted back into place correctly. With the rear battery position the Z06 is more susceptible to high resistance connections than the base Vette due to the added resistance of the long battery cables running from the rear of the car to the front. Also check the grounding point for the negative battery cable and the B+ connection of the positive battery cable at the underhood electrical center.

Bill
Good points, I did check the connections before pulling out the battery.
All were good an tight.

I've installed a new battery, and it fired right up.

I took the old battery back for the core charge and had them check it.
No dead cells as far as what they told me, just very weak. I'm not really sure what the problem was, as the battery tender was connected at all times when not driven and showed the green light which indicated it was properly charged.

When I bought the car in May of 2007, it only sat on the dealer's lot for a week. Anyway, I'm just glad it died in my garage.

augydog
Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

I had to replace the battery in my 07Z last month. It went from lasting for months and months without being started to dying after less than 24 hours. Tiem for a new battery!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
k w f z06
Instructor

I start havin problem with mine as well , my car is been built late 07 , i just bought a Braille (21 lbs) .

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender and Dead Battery

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery Tender and Dead Battery