Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Headlight Black out

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James M. Poklasny
So is it a film or an actual cover?
I've been shading with paint for almost 9 years now, I've always used paint over film...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ones on e-bay are FILM. But they are not like window tint fil. They are VERY thick (like thicker than duck tape).

They are pre-cut and you just put them on (carefully and pull it back up and re-apply if you get bubbles).

You can also call just about ANY tint shop and have it done, just ask for the thickest tint possilbe.

I'd personally go with the e-bay ones because they are so thick that rocks or other debris will not cut them or mark them. Again, they are NOT covers (like the stuff they sold for mustangs in the 80's with velcro). These will not come off even at 160+mph.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
James M. Poklasny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had some replys from people that say sometimes the stock covers crack like a spyder web after the film is applied. Is it from driving at night?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't you just have the headlights opened up and have the insides repainted to Black then put the covers back on with a new sealant/gasket/etc...to prevent moisture from getting inside the lights? I would assume a body shop or paint shop could do that? Seems like the better way to go since it does not interfere with your lighting performance with tints, films, or shades.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lane_change
Can't you just have the headlights opened up and have the insides repainted to Black then put the covers back on with a new sealant/gasket/etc...to prevent moisture from getting inside the lights? I would assume a body shop or paint shop could do that? Seems like the better way to go since it does not interfere with your lighting performance with tints, films, or shades.
And how many times have you heard of new windshields leaking....I personally wouldn't touch that seal. If you get ANY moisture in there, it will totally ruin it and there is a good chance that will happen.

I'd love to hear how film can cause cracking of plastic? We are not talking glass, but plastic? If somone has had one crack or is cracked please post a picture. People add protective film to all kind of things (window tint, 3M clear bra's, headlight covers, rear lenses), how could it make it crack, it just seams physically impossible unless you hit something and then of course any plastic will crack
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
The ones on e-bay are FILM. But they are not like window tint fil. They are VERY thick (like thicker than duck tape).

They are pre-cut and you just put them on (carefully and pull it back up and re-apply if you get bubbles).

You can also call just about ANY tint shop and have it done, just ask for the thickest tint possilbe.

I'd personally go with the e-bay ones because they are so thick that rocks or other debris will not cut them or mark them. Again, they are NOT covers (like the stuff they sold for mustangs in the 80's with velcro). These will not come off even at 160+mph.

I bought the ones from ebay and they really are very thick. I have tried in the past to put the thinner film type stuff on and found it nearly impossible to put on without bubbling but these are much easier to work with. They look better than any I have ever had too.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZO6Gal
I bought the ones from ebay and they really are very thick. I have tried in the past to put the thinner film type stuff on and found it nearly impossible to put on without bubbling but these are much easier to work with. They look better than any I have ever had too.
I found them to still be a bit difficult, but we don't do these things like the pro's do all day.

I got one bubble on the left side and just took a little pin, made a tiny hole and pushed out the air, it worked and you can't see the pin hole.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
blkvette1
Pro

I've had the clear on my lights over a year w/o issue.
I had it on the headlights of an '06 for 4 years - never an issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you but from the link I posted or from someone else? Have any pics?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
James M. Poklasny
Intermediate

Default Options and colors

How can find out how many Vette's where made in a certain year, with certain options etc...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Originally Posted by HoustonSVT
Did you but from the link I posted or from someone else? Have any pics?

Yes I bought via that link. I haven't taken pics yet but I will. The thing is, they are not as dark as they appear in the pics on his car in that link. They turned out very nice and were not too bad to put on. I started in the corner rather than in the center and it is much easier that way in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I found them to still be a bit difficult, but we don't do these things like the pro's do all day.

I got one bubble on the left side and just took a little pin, made a tiny hole and pushed out the air, it worked and you can't see the pin hole.

I had one bubble but fortunately it was very near the edge so I just pulled that part off and used the blade thing to smooth it out. I did not use any water to put them on. I've seen that movie before and it is a pain to get them on right. I put them on dry and it was much easier for me.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Yes I bought via that link. I haven't taken pics yet but I will. The thing is, they are not as dark as they appear in the pics on his car in that link. They turned out very nice and were not too bad to put on. I started in the corner rather than in the center and it is much easier that way in my opinion.

Thanks for the info, I would love to see pics if you get a chance.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Xpel makes tinted film as well as a few other companies. I have been installing it for years and the results are great. It is illegal to tint headlights but with the film you can peel it off (if they won't pass inspection) and replace them. Painting them is a permanent job so you are SOL if you get pulled over. The other benefit o the film is it will protect the lights from rock chips where tint and painting will not.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

95Jersey,

when you remove them, what kind of residue is left on the lights and do you have any tips on how to remove it? I think I might pick up a set but if the cops harrass me too much I want the ability to take them off and have the headlight look like new. Hopefuly this is possible! thanks for the reply in advance

Jonathan
Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon man
95Jersey,

when you remove them, what kind of residue is left on the lights and do you have any tips on how to remove it? I think I might pick up a set but if the cops harrass me too much I want the ability to take them off and have the headlight look like new. Hopefuly this is possible! thanks for the reply in advance

Jonathan
bump, anyone?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Thanks for the info, I would love to see pics if you get a chance.

I took these today. They still have a little haze but are clearing up more every day which is exactly what the instructions say. I do have one bubble in the left one that I have got to get out but I think they turned out great.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Black out

Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Z06GAL,

OMG,

Your car is absolutely amazing.

Those covers really complete the look perfectly.

Thanks for the pics, I'm ordering them!

Last edited by HoustonSVT; 02-11-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Z06GAL,

OMG,

Your car is absolutely amazing.

Those covers really complete the look perfectly.

Thanks for the pics, I ordering them!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did all my lights 3yrs ago, No problem. I removed the bubble I had with a insulin needle and sucked the air out.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Luweegy; 02-12-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Headlight Black out