Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Wheels/High Speed = Dont Mix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Z0inHtx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels/High Speed = Dont Mix!

So as stated in another previous post last week I just purchased a set of 20x9.5 & 20x12.5 360 Forged Spec Multis wrapped in Nitto Invos from another forum member. I had them Roadforce balanced at a very reputable place where ive been taking car for years. Today is the first day since Ive had them that Ive had the car over 50mph. First of all once getting onto the freeway this morning I climbed to 80mph and noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel (not like feeling the road like vibration). So no big deal just figured i'd take it back in Monday and rebalance them. BUT then I get to my grandmothers and we did the whole Christmas thing and then like usual every year we ended up in the garage watching sports and my uncle started asking me about my car. I took him for a ride in it and we went out to this old road 521 between Lake Jackson and Brazoria, TX and slowed down to a stop. I got on it as hard as I could all the way through 4th and this is where my questions come in....

in 3rd and 4th gear it felt like the car was breaking loose and the Dash read "Active Control System" or whatever like it was been activated due to the tires slipping at this speed? Now mind it was a cold day and new tires has this happened to anyone else? Also the new wheel and tire setup provided a very rough ride....this from the small tires and bigger wheels or from the smaller tires and bigger wheels mixed with bad balancing??

Does anyone that has aftermarket wheels have any issues getting them dialed in so they ride smooth?

Last edited by Z0inHtx; 12-25-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These aftermarket wheel sets are a shot in the dark.Very few run smooth as silk,most you can balence all you want and never get the vibration out. The 20's ride way rough compared to stock.The AH/TC lights that come up are a constant problem with aftermarket wheel/tire combo's. I went with 10 ZR1 wheels and tires to get back to a great ride and try and get rid of all the lights in the DIC.The Michlins do like to create wheel hop when it's cold. Always seems to be a problem with Michlins. But the Michlins are like glass all the way to redline in 5th.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:05 PM
45Z06
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0inHtx
So as stated in another previous post last week I just purchased a set of 20x9.5 & 20x12.5 360 Forged Spec Multis wrapped in Nitto Invos from another forum member. I had them Roadforce balanced at a very reputable place where ive been taking car for years. Today is the first day since Ive had them that Ive had the car over 50mph. First of all once getting onto the freeway this morning I climbed to 80mph and noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel (not like feeling the road like vibration). So no big deal just figured i'd take it back in Monday and rebalance them. BUT then I get to my grandmothers and we did the whole Christmas thing and then like usual every year we ended up in the garage watching sports and my uncle started asking me about my car. I took him for a ride in it and we went out to this old road 521 between Lake Jackson and Brazoria, TX and slowed down to a stop. I got on it as hard as I could all the way through 4th and this is where my questions come in....

in 3rd and 4th gear it felt like the car was breaking loose and the Dash read "Active Control System" or whatever like it was been activated due to the tires slipping at this speed? Now mind it was a cold day and new tires has this happened to anyone else? Also the new wheel and tire setup provided a very rough ride....this from the small tires and bigger wheels or from the smaller tires and bigger wheels mixed with bad balancing??

Does anyone that has aftermarket wheels have any issues getting them dialed in so they ride smooth?

Yes I have the same problem. I just put on new wheels (OZ ultraleggaras) with Nitto invos. 20's in the back and 19's in the front. The other day I was on the highway doing about 70, I dropped it from 5th to 3rd and punched it and the tires started to "slip" a little and the "traction control" came on. This NEVER happened to me with the stock rims and goodyears. I thought this happened because it was about 60degrees outside when I did this. When I did it with my stock set up it was 20 degrees hotter outside. So basically I thought it was due to the colder weather (less traction) on the road. Also I thought it could be due to the car feeling much stronger in the cooler weather (it does feel stronger). I really dont have an answer for this, just letting you know it happened to me also and we are both running Nitto Invos. Maybe these tires arent that great?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Z0inHtx
Advanced

Well It caught me by surprise because they were breaking lose at such a high speed. I'm gonna have them rebalanced Monday and see if they smooth out a bit too the ride at 120mph+ is very rough. Also I forgot another thing I noticed is once your over 140mph the front tires kinda "float" like....
Old 12-25-2010, 11:19 PM
45Z06
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0inHtx
Well It caught me by surprise because they were breaking lose at such a high speed. I'm gonna have them rebalanced Monday and see if they smooth out a bit too the ride at 120mph+ is very rough. Also I forgot another thing I noticed is once your over 140mph the front tires kinda "float" like....
Interesting. I didnt get any vibration in my steering wheel at all which makes me believe that my tires are balanced properly. It's just strange that at 70mph the tires would slip a little when they didnt before on the stock goodyears. Keep me posted once you get the rebalanced, I wanna know if that happens to you again.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 614 Likes on 228 Posts

I had the exact same thing when I installed 19/20 HRE's. The vibration eventually screwed up my brakes. Someone in this forum suggested I remove the washers that hold the rotor. I did and it helped a lot. Now my brakes need to be replaced though.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 PM
bchataroo
Instructor

Hey ZoinHtx,

You from the area? I'm over in Alvin.

Later
Old 12-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the diameter of your tires check the specs on the front and then the rear post them it would be interesting to see what they are divid them smaller front I hope into the diameter of the rear, do the same with your stock wheels. See how close they are. Also the larger wheel will make your car ride like a stage coach with the use of a low profile tire.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luweegy
These aftermarket wheel sets are a shot in the dark.Very few run smooth as silk,most you can balence all you want and never get the vibration out. The 20's ride way rough compared to stock.The AH/TC lights that come up are a constant problem with aftermarket wheel/tire combo's. I went with 10 ZR1 wheels and tires to get back to a great ride and try and get rid of all the lights in the DIC.The Michlins do like to create wheel hop when it's cold. Always seems to be a problem with Michlins. But the Michlins are like glass all the way to redline in 5th.

With all due respect, I hope this isnt everyone's opinion. Obviously 20's are rougher riding, but at 4-6k even discounted, I would expect a pretty high quality, smooth ride throughout all speeds. More than just a few forum members, including many modded z's and some zr's, have gone aftermarket wheels and nittos, so seem opinions vary.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Finnan
With all due respect, I hope this isnt everyone's opinion. Obviously 20's are rougher riding, but at 4-6k even discounted, I would expect a pretty high quality, smooth ride throughout all speeds. More than just a few forum members, including many modded z's and some zr's, have gone aftermarket wheels and nittos, so seem opinions vary.
and before I could finish my post, here you all are
Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

shocked that none of the wheel manufacturers or dealers aren't posting in here....
Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geared
shocked that none of the wheel manufacturers or dealers aren't posting in here....
X 1,000,000

i just ordered a set of vossens, they better be worth every penny
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I initially had this problem...make sure you have taken care of this.

http://www.ccwheel.com/incs/technica...iner_clip.html

"Many domestic production vehicles come with retainer clips on their rotors. They keep the rotor from falling off the car during the production. Most aftermarket wheels DON'T have a recess in the pad of the wheel to accept these clips and will cause the wheels not to seat correctly against the hub of the car and CAUSE VIBRATION ISSUES! You can remove this with needle nose pliers or a pair of cutters. "
Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonypittman

"Many domestic production vehicles come with retainer clips on their rotors. They keep the rotor from falling off the car during the production. Most aftermarket wheels DON'T have a recess in the pad of the wheel to accept these clips and will cause the wheels not to seat correctly against the hub of the car and CAUSE VIBRATION ISSUES! You can remove this with needle nose pliers or a pair of cutters. "
Another excellent point
Old 12-26-2010, 12:21 AM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 19x10s front and 20x13 rear CCW wheels with Nitto invos, been up to 170mph, smooth as silk.. Check your wheel studs for the brake caliper retainer clips and remove them if there on the car..
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 AM
therodguy
Instructor

the selling point for aftermarket wheel companies is super high performance apps and they smother thier sites with high end cars to make that point. that was sure a concern of mine when i went with something different. would be very dissappointing to hear that the general consensus here is stockers ride way better. im not trying to put words in anyones mouth, but I'm interested to see where this goes to say the least. cant wait to see this topic aired out, and get some vendors and more senior members weighing in.

Last edited by therodguy; 12-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Z0inHtx
Advanced

Originally Posted by bchataroo
Hey ZoinHtx,

You from the area? I'm over in Alvin.

Later
I am in Spring, North Houston.

Originally Posted by tonypittman

Yes I remove these on all my vehicles once I get aftermarket wheels.

Well I know that the machine they were balanced on is a RoadForce Balancer which is supposed to be the absolute best machine there is right now. There are only 3 of them in the entire city of Houston. Monday Im going to go back and have them redone again and then head to the alignment shop for a fresh alignment and then see if it betters the vibration. I jsut got back from driving it and I was on a road that is flat and longggg and fresh new black asphalt. It was smooth until about 85-90mph and then it slowly got worse as I got faster.

As far as the tires breaking loose at 100mph+ speeds im gonna warm them up pretty good before I take it out after the new alignment and balance.

Get notified of new replies

To New Wheels/High Speed = Dont Mix!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

When I got my new 360's I had the same issues. Instability under acceleration at high speeds and the active handing light coming on. IN my case, the fix was simple.. Getting the air pressure correct. Too much or too little will cause issues. I run between 26 and 28PSI cold and no longer have any issues. 32PSI hot seems to be ideal.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Never had any of these issues with my D2's. Mine felt like it rode better with the 19/20's & Goodyears versus the stock wheels/BFG combination that was on prior.(Standard C6) I never had any lights or traction problems do to the change in wheels/tires.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
DSCHULTZ
Racer

I have modular concepts 19 and 20 combo i havent had an issues at all..

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Wheels/High Speed = Dont Mix!