Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Tender

Well, winter has definitely made it to central IL. 13 degrees this morning, brrr. I hate to put this car away for the winter but conditions here are a crap shoot this time of year. I always hate to ask dumb questions especially for my first post as a ZR-1 owner!!- but here goes- I have always had a battery tender on my ZO6 during storage. In looking at my ZR-1 I was wondering how do you guys hook up a tender considering the battery is in the trunk?? On the ZO6 I just ran the leads up through the engine compartment to the battery. Can you use the remote jumping terminal in the engine bay?? Do you get a good ground as everything up there is aluminum?? I'm not real crazy about running wires out the deck lid and marring the paint although I suppose you could put a microfiber under it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if you disconnect the battery and take it out don't you lose all of your memory settings?? Thanks for any help. I just hate letting it sit for several months. This car is just awesome. I love my '03 ZO6 but this car is in a different world!! Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 50yrzo6
Well, winter has definitely made it to central IL. 13 degrees this morning, brrr. I hate to put this car away for the winter but conditions here are a crap shoot this time of year. I always hate to ask dumb questions especially for my first post as a ZR-1 owner!!- but here goes- I have always had a battery tender on my ZO6 during storage. In looking at my ZR-1 I was wondering how do you guys hook up a tender considering the battery is in the trunk?? On the ZO6 I just ran the leads up through the engine compartment to the battery. Can you use the remote jumping terminal in the engine bay?? Do you get a good ground as everything up there is aluminum?? I'm not real crazy about running wires out the deck lid and marring the paint although I suppose you could put a microfiber under it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if you disconnect the battery and take it out don't you lose all of your memory settings?? Thanks for any help. I just hate letting it sit for several months. This car is just awesome. I love my '03 ZO6 but this car is in a different world!! Thanks.
I feel your pain, it's -4 here in Minnesota today and there is already plenty of salt residue on the roads. This is my first year ever of storing a vehicle for the winter. I filled the gas tank while adding a bit of Sta-bil every few gallons. I did hook up the permanent wires with the small grommets to the battery under the cover. This is the first car that I have had with this sort of battery terminal connectors and they worked great to hook up the adaptor. I routed the wire from the maintainer at the corner of the hatch between the weather stripping and the metal. I like your idea of a micro fiber towel under the wires. It lays in so nicely that I will probably use it even when spring arrives. We will just have to be content to occasionally dust our cars and armor all the tires until then.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by 50yrzo6
I feel your pain, it's -4 here in Minnesota today and there is already plenty of salt residue on the roads. This is my first year ever of storing a vehicle for the winter. I filled the gas tank while adding a bit of Sta-bil every few gallons. I did hook up the permanent wires with the small grommets to the battery under the cover. This is the first car that I have had with this sort of battery terminal connectors and they worked great to hook up the adaptor. I routed the wire from the maintainer at the corner of the hatch between the weather stripping and the metal. I like your idea of a micro fiber towel under the wires. It lays in so nicely that I will probably use it even when spring arrives. We will just have to be content to occasionally dust our cars and armor all the tires until then.
this is exactly how I keep my Zr1 year round. Battery Tender with quick release inside the trunk and wire over the moulding and rag underneath. Both my ZR1's have had NO issues and best of all it works.

Of course I will have to say that the guy at the Museum who delivered my car said that chargers should be hooked up under the front hood at the fuse panel?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIRSTC6Z06
this is exactly how I keep my Zr1 year round. Battery Tender with quick release inside the trunk and wire over the moulding and rag underneath. Both my ZR1's have had NO issues and best of all it works.

Of course I will have to say that the guy at the Museum who delivered my car said that chargers should be hooked up under the front hood at the fuse panel?
I also would like to know how to hook up a charger under the front hood instead direct on the battery. Anybody know how?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Torched
I also would like to know how to hook up a charger under the front hood instead direct on the battery. Anybody know how?
Easy. Open the under-hood fuse panel on the passenger side. See the big bolt sticking up? There's your +12. For the ground, I use a bolt on the chassis along the frame rail. A few inches behind the front bumper, along the rail, you'll see a couple of bolts that don't look like they have anything connected to them. They're grounded. Connect the clip to one of them and carefully close the hood.

Works like a charm.

jas
Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Easy. Open the under-hood fuse panel on the passenger side. See the big bolt sticking up? There's your +12. For the ground, I use a bolt on the chassis along the frame rail. A few inches behind the front bumper, along the rail, you'll see a couple of bolts that don't look like they have anything connected to them. They're grounded. Connect the clip to one of them and carefully close the hood.

Works like a charm.

jas
Thanks JasI prefer this method since sometimes I cover the car and a under hood connection is easier than a trunk hook up with a car cover.Greg
Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Works like a charm.

jas
Thats what i do also. Works like a charm. This is my second season for doing it. I purchased 3 of these thru the Corvette Museum.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by barduch
I feel your pain, it's -4 here in Minnesota today and there is already plenty of salt residue on the roads.
Yep, they salted our bridges the other day

Originally Posted by jvp

Works like a charm.

jas
Using a bolt on the engine for the ground, say one that connects the alternator to the block, won't give you a good ground will it?? Good idea using one on the frame. Thanks for all the good ideas!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Works like a charm.

jas
Hook up the ZR1 and ZO6 rhat way.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Underhood connection is better when putting a cover on. Drop the feed straight down and nothing laying over the painted exterior.
Make sure you use a battery tendor or comparable that has technology to NOT overcharge. B Tender has lots of choices. Have used them for more than 10 yrs. They have two car units and four car units and more.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZR Guy
Underhood connection is better when putting a cover on. Drop the feed straight down and nothing laying over the painted exterior.
Make sure you use a battery tendor or comparable that has technology to NOT overcharge. B Tender has lots of choices. Have used them for more than 10 yrs. They have two car units and four car units and more.
Thanks that's how I want to do it from now on. I use the Battery Tender Plus 1.25a and have never had a problem with this unit. My car just shipped from Detroit on the way to California. The dealer installed a new battery due to weak starts plus the car was sitting on the dealers lot almost a year.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Thanks that's how I want to do it from now on. I use the Battery Tender Plus 1.25a and have never had a problem with this unit. My car just shipped from Detroit on the way to California. The dealer installed a new battery due to weak starts plus the car was sitting on the dealers lot almost a year.
Congrats on your new ride that's coming!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by curvesman
Congrats on your new ride that's coming!
Thanks Bro, should be here this Wednesday
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Leroy Amy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bro, should be here this Wednesday
Is this a Les Stanford ZR1, Great People there.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
2011ZR1CYBERGREY
Heel & Toe

Default Battery Tender hook up

Hello All:

I'm new to the forum and have a (stupid) question about hooking up the battery tender to the battery located under the panel of the hatchback in my ZR1. If you leave the hatchback open a crack for the cord how do you get the inside trunk lights to go off?

If I hook up the tender under the hood like some of you explained does any one have any images of the excat method to attach the alligator clips?

Thank you,
David
Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
c5-pacecar
Instructor

Hi to all, i did a trickle charge on saturday, battery took 8 hrs+ to fully charge, i would like to keep battery charged up over the winter and I am not sure if this is the way to do it, i noticed on ebay a solar panel 12 volt, trickle charger, states it wont over charge, puts out 5 watts, has anyone used this method for charging ?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a picture right on the fuse box cover on how to connect the clips, just hook the neg to one of the frame ground bolts below the alternator instead of on the alternator like the picture shows.
Originally Posted by 2011ZR1CYBERGREY
Hello All:

I'm new to the forum and have a (stupid) question about hooking up the battery tender to the battery located under the panel of the hatchback in my ZR1. If you leave the hatchback open a crack for the cord how do you get the inside trunk lights to go off?

If I hook up the tender under the hood like some of you explained does any one have any images of the excat method to attach the alligator clips?

Thank you,
David

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender

Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If you leave the the trunk cracked, the lights will automatically turn off after 5-10 minutes

Ian
Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 PM
2011ZR1CYBERGREY
Heel & Toe

Thank you for thre quick reply on fuse box cover on how to connect the clips and about the lights automatically turning off after 5-10 minutes.

Otherwise the car is awesome, totally intoxicating power. This is the third vette I have owned and by far, very far the best!

David
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Manatee
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
There is a picture right on the fuse box cover
Out of curiosity, does your picture match the LS9 engine? Mine doesn't.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Battery Tender