Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] wheel shimmy at 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racer10
GM will respond if corvette owners stop making excuses for them and stop buying. It is unreal how many corvette owners are willing to accept poor quality in the name of its a corvette and look at all the other wonderful things it can do, therefore I can overlook this problem or even fix it myself.
Just think of yourself as part of the GM Quality Control Department. Personally, I don't understand how GM can release cars with known problems...problems that should have surfaced during long term/high mileage testing.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zr1

I am on my 5th ZR1 and 3 of them have had the vibration problem.....
Can't believe they are still letting these cars go out with this problem....Even more stupid is that I am still buying them......
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Default Reply

Originally Posted by zeeohsixer
Well, it worked! Smooth as a baby's butt. Tires probably contribute but the main culprit is the rotors. They were out of balance. One rear rotor was out 1oz., the other 1.50oz. One front was .25oz. out the other .75oz. It's amazing to me these rotors got by quality control so far out of balance.
If what you're saying is true you give splitting hairs a whole new definition. I have been a mechanic since 1962 & sorry I know B.S. when I hear it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
racer10
Advanced

I believe GM will find a solution to this issue if corvette enthusiasts complain loud enough including those that are currently living with this problem. As my dealer said "no one should have to buy a car as expensive as this and to worry about whether their new ZR1 has, or will develop ,this issue" For my own edification does GM scrap this site to gain an understanding of how the customer is viewing their products?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM
zeeohsixer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by turbolou
If what you're saying is true you give splitting hairs a whole new definition. I have been a mechanic since 1962 & sorry I know B.S. when I hear it.

You must work for Chevy....
Old 11-22-2010, 08:39 AM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious if it happens no matter what setting you have the TC?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
racer10
Advanced

Is this vibration problem also present on 2011's or just 2010? Does anyone know?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Just curious if it happens no matter what setting you have the TC?
I don't know how TC or AH would have anything to do with it, but I'll try it in different modes to see.

Bob
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I'm interested in seeing if my vibration is similar to what some other owners are experiencing. I went out this afternoon to try to take some video of my vibration so others can let me know if my vibration is like what you're getting.

I've had the vibration since new, and I've got 11,000 miles now - it's a 2009.

I had the fronts balanced and I thought it was gone, but there is a very, very slight steering wheel vibration around 80 mph.

I've indexed the wheels a couple of times (one lug stud at a time) and it seems to get a little better, but it's still there. I haven't removed the calipers to index the rotors yet.

I tried to take a video, but the vibration is so minor it didn't even show up in the video. I wasn't on a real smooth road, and the wheels were tramlining a bit, so I was steering back and forth slightly When I put in a steering input the vibration isn't noticeable at all.

I'll try to find a smoother road tomorrow and take a video that I hope will show the very slight buzz in my steering wheel.

BTW, no difference with TC off, Comp Mode, or AH completely off - 2009, so no launch or PTM.

Bob

Quick Reply: [ZR1] wheel shimmy at 80mph