Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question: Difference between Z06 vs GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
It's not that uncommon. Have you wandered into a Porsche showroom lately? Or watched how the 911 models have leapfrogged/canabilized each other over the last 5 years or so? Heck, I can't keep 'em straight. . . they all look the same to me. . .(ha ha, sorry, just a little funny to provide a bit of a pick-me-up before folks go nuclear on this thread).

Some folks would have really struggled with the C2s. Aside from the stinger hood, it's not easy to pick one from another until you get up close to and study it a bit. Heck they had engine options out the wazzoo back then - half a dozen engines to pick from. Imagine the carnage that would occur today on this forum if that were still the case with the C6.

To the OP - if the removeable top and option of having an automatic aren't big deals to you, and you want a higher performing car, then get the Z. You'll love the car. It's a fantastic machine.

If the auto or the top are big deals, then go with your gut and enjoy a vette that is also a great ride. I have a friend in fact that's a hard-core ragtop guy. He likes performance, but he's got to have the wind in the hair. And that's cool.
Can't we all just get along? I had a C5Z which I eventually supercharged and I loved it. I had a C6Z06 for 2.5 years and I loved it. Both of these cars had their flaws/weaknesses, but overall I loved owning them because they were very special.

My other half has an '08 auto coupe which she loves and it is a great looking/riding and performance vehicle for the price.

My new '10 ZR1 totally eclipses the previous Vettes I had and is just in another league.

Point is, they are all great cars in their own right. Let's agree to that and respect each other's preferences.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
GS also gets the diff cooler, oil cooler, and dry-sump (at least the manual coupes) setup.

Same tires, same brakes.

Is the coolers, and dry-sump the same as the Z06.....?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
blkvette1
Pro

I do not like the Gills on the front fender or the color of the calipers
Yep - it is a Chevy Malibu/Ford Taurus look - makes me vomit!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
IHTFP
Instructor

I don't know if it was just my bias, but I took delivery of my Z06 at the museum, and it was right next to a GS and there was no comparison. The Z06 seems to have a different stance than the GS and just looks more put together. Maybe it was the color, or the chrome wheels on the GS, but the GS simply looked cheesy.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The ZO6 FAQ sticky will tell you all you need to know about what the ZO6 is and what the differences are between it and the other models
Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 PM
twobit
Advanced

Z06 RULE
Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Can't we all just get along? I had a C5Z which I eventually supercharged and I loved it. I had a C6Z06 for 2.5 years and I loved it. Both of these cars had their flaws/weaknesses, but overall I loved owning them because they were very special.

My other half has an '08 auto coupe which she loves and it is a great looking/riding and performance vehicle for the price.

My new '10 ZR1 totally eclipses the previous Vettes I had and is just in another league.

Point is, they are all great cars in their own right. Let's agree to that and respect each other's preferences.

I agree. And that was kinda my point (at least the point I intended).
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
The Grand Sport is only a perpetrator. It's the Camaro RS not the Camaro SS or the Shelby GT not the Shelby GT500 or one more, the Jeep Grand Cherokee not the Jeep Cherokee SRT-8. Same basic looks but lesser of a lot of things and GM's way to reach the buyer who is not willing to pay Z06 prices but will to pay fo Z06 looks. Boy, they just don't know what they are missing. They should have just put a V-6 in the GS.

Next time you see one, walk up to the driver and say "Nice Z, oh sorry, it's just a Grand Sport".
I guess everyone should know my reasoning for asking. I owned a 2007 Z06 and sold it before I started to get the bug for tracking the car (road race). I bought a 09 C6 Z51 and procharged it and have tracked it for two fun filled years. I would like to upgrade to Z06 or GS for the track. I know the Z06 is better car but I was trying to find out what the real differences where between the two before buying the Z06. I could get the GS and get the wider tires, better suspension, brakes, coolers, wider wheels..dry sump ..etc from the GS and then procharge it. I already have a procharger from the C6 so I didn't want to waste my money if I could slap it on the GS. Please don't turn this into my Z06 is better then your GS and I'm better then you. Believe me there are better cars out there then a Z06...and just because someone has a GS doesn't mean they couldn't afford a Z06. My neighbor with his 250K bentley could care less about my Z06.. Everyone buys a car for a different reason...In general I find most corvette owner to respect eachother...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
I guess everyone should know my reasoning for asking. I owned a 2007 Z06 and sold it before I started to get the bug for tracking the car (road race). I bought a 09 C6 Z51 and procharged it and have tracked it for two fun filled years. I would like to upgrade to Z06 or GS for the track. I know the Z06 is better car but I was trying to find out what the real differences where between the two before buying the Z06. I could get the GS and get the wider tires, better suspension, brakes, coolers, wider wheels..dry sump ..etc from the GS and then procharge it. I already have a procharger from the C6 so I didn't want to waste my money if I could slap it on the GS. Please don't turn this into my Z06 is better then your GS and I'm better then you. Believe me there are better cars out there then a Z06...and just because someone has a GS doesn't mean they couldn't afford a Z06. My neighbor with his 250K bentley could care less about my Z06.. Everyone buys a car for a different reason...In general I find most corvette owner to respect eachother...

If your really interested in tracking your car (HPDEs) I'd skip the procharger route all-together. Too much heat. And the GS/Z06 already has enough power for 95% of drivers. I know I don't have the skill to push my base Z51 to its limits yet.....
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The Z06 was designed for track use (though it is NOT a race car and racing it will void your warranty, just an FYI).

It's lighter and it has the power without having to add a supercharger. A GS is substantially heavier, add that procharger and the weight just get's worse.

You said nothing about wanting an automatic or a removable roof. So, there is really good reason to get the GS, particularly with what you want to do with the car.

Z06 all the way.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jeffreystar
GS = Pretty Ugly IMO
Z06 = Just about right
ZR1 = Fricking Sick!
I know we all have our opinion but, IMO the GS, Z06 AND ZR1 look alike. The only difference in appearance is the gills....all three are diff in that area and the hood on ZR1 of course. Otherwise to see either of them from any distance I cannot tell one from the other so far as looks. Of course, from the frame up (internally) they are HUGELY different, each has their particular niche. The initial plan was C6 and C6Z. Then came C6ZR as a second thought. And a great one it was.

But to say one is ugly doesnt make much sense to me since they all three look alike. A NON-Vette person sure would not know the difference in them. Their all IMO
Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Streetrod
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XII Veteran

Default Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Yeah, the aluminum frame and 7 liter motor with CF fenders is most of it.

I agree with the poster that compared Porsche 911s to this line....that's so true. Each year of 911 brings out a new model that you just must have and that's obsolescence too.

It would be awful if the GS performed like a stone, but in fact, it performs very nicely thanks!

There is a place for this car in the line-up.

SR
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by tim414
I know we all have our opinion but, IMO the GS, Z06 AND ZR1 look alike. The only difference in appearance is the gills....all three are diff in that area and the hood on ZR1 of course. Otherwise to see either of them from any distance I cannot tell one from the other so far as looks. Of course, from the frame up (internally) they are HUGELY different, each has their particular niche. The initial plan was C6 and C6Z. Then came C6ZR as a second thought. And a great one it was.

But to say one is ugly doesnt make much sense to me since they all three look alike. A NON-Vette person sure would not know the difference in them. Their all IMO
Very well said
Old 11-16-2010, 10:06 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I believe just the emblems????
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nowhere did I say one was better than the other, I said "they don't know what they are missing". Nowhere did I say that one buys a GS because they couldn't afford it, I said "the buyer who is not willing to pay Z06 prices but is willing to pay for Z06 looks".

My point was, the GS is a budget version of the Z06 with less performance.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msnbound
i think the GS just cheapened our z's.....but then again, the base c6 should have come out of the factory looking like the Z, just more aggressive in terms of looks.....

I don't care, cuz i have the 427 under my hood, so i know why i chose a Z over the GS....kinda like people who buy fake louis vuitton products.....pretenders.....lol but hey, in the end, i love all corvettes, just the Z a little bit more
I don't feel that way. Originally, I was going to buy a Grand Sport 3LT (I wanted the HUD and telescoping wheel (I remember how my WS6 was always a juggling act with the clutch, shifter, and wheel to get comfy), could care less about the other crap, interior is still junk, HUD is cool, though).

Then I figured...this is going to cost me about $56K + TTL.

The C7 'vette is supposed to have a $40K car interior and not a Cobalt interior.

I will be in a C6 with less than 2 years paid on it when a car with equal power, a bit less weight, and a (hopefully) LOT! nicer interior comes out. My car will lose serious value, both monetary and perceived.

Enter the Z06.

Same cobalt interior, but I only need the 2LZ option to get the steering-wheel and the HUD comes in all levels. It will be $70K+TTL or so.

14K more.

Roughly $100 a pay-check more.

When the C7 comes out, it will be AT LEAST! another year before the Z06 model comes out. Further, I would not buy the first year-model Z06 that comes out. I just wouldn't trust GM, They always change things RADICALLY on the next year model for the better. Maybe not appearance, but engine, transmission, etc. almost always gets a huge refinement. Then you have to wait for ANOTHER year to make sure the refinement was really a refinement.

So basically, if the C7 is a 2014 model (which is as good a guess as any), we will see it in 2013. Then the next Z06 (assuming there is one) will be a 2015 or a 2016 model seen in 2014 or 2015. Then give it a year or two for the platform to have all the bugs worked out, and it will be 2016 before you can buy a fully functional, demon-exorcised C7 Z06--all assuming cars like that still exist, along with GM.

My point is, besides the ZR1, which is in another price-bracket entirely, there is not going to be another Corvette that can touch the 2011/2012 Z06 until at LEAST 2015, at which point if I really want to, I can trade, as I will have pretty decent positive equity in the car. if I bought a GS, I would kick myself a short 2 years from now, with minimal positive equity, and only $200 more a month to play with in compensation.

For me, buying a Z06 just makes infinitely more sense since I don't want an automatic and I hate non-fixed-roof vehicles. IF you want an auto or a targa or a vert, then it may not be so cut and dried.

Just my long-winded summary of why I am going to wait a few more months and spring for another $200/mo in car-note instead of buying a bit sooner and saving $200/mo. In the long run, I think it would be a losing deal.

Another thing to consider is that the Z06 is still stone-age regarding the technology involved. It does not shut off at redlights like the BMW M3. It does not de-activate cylinders. It still has pushrods. It still has a honest manual transmission. It is still RWD. It has a traction-control nanny that can be FULLY defeated. It is possible to change the oil and brakes (and a whole lot more if you have the tools/time) in your own drive-way if you really want to do it yourself/enjoy working on it without a bunch of computer interface junk, etc.

Will a C7 Z06 (if it exists) be that way, or will it have non-defeatable nannies, cylinder de-activation, turn itself on and off at will, a true manual option, or a DCT etc? Who knows. Rather not risk it. It's just more crap to break and I really like the current Z06. It's not as raw as some cars like the Viper, but its a real monster if you want it to be. It's a great balancing act between a civilized "modern" car and a 60's muscle car.

Originally Posted by tim414

Personally, if I were to have decided to go with a GS, I would take the fenders off and put de-badged Z fenders on it. I can't stand the gills on the GS. It would be worth the money to me if things fit up properly.

Don't forget that the fixed roof is also very nice. It takes structural rigidity up a much-needed notch.

Last edited by BSSN; 11-17-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Really........................???????? //art

Get notified of new replies

To Question: Difference between Z06 vs GS

Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Not this **** again.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Not this **** again.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You realize the Z51 you have now (before the supercharger) performs nearly identical to a GS right? AND is lighter?

You already have a nice platform that your enjoying on the track, you can add WB fenders and rims to your car for a fraction the cost you'll lose in resale/purchase of a newer GS.

IMO, there must be more to this story. Do you just want a widebody car?

Cause as I said, the 09 Z51 and 2010 GS are pretty much a dead heat in performance. And there are TONS of suspension options that can be fitted on your 09 Z51 to improve it on the track. Going to a GS is a lateral move.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question: Difference between Z06 vs GS