Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Seat harness question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Nolyaw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat harness question

Anyone install harnesses in their car using the factory seats? Using the Vetteworks sharkbar, and lap belt mount?

I understand seats would be better, but I have not decided the road I want to go down yet as far as seats go.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the following before doing a Sparco seat:

1. Hardbar Lap Belt Bar, Link: http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=40

2. Brey Krause harness bar, Link: http://bkauto.com/corvette/r1120.php

3. Belts that snap in easily, I use SABELT.

BK bar is much better braced than the Shark or Hardbar. The seat is the best option as it can go in/out in 15 minutes and holds you in. The biggest pain is the telescoping wheel, and I use the PFADT harness for that, but requires taking out the black box under seat.

Once you push it, a race seat is best for fatigue and ability to feel and focus on the car.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Nolyaw
Instructor

So you used the BK bar, Vetteworks harness anchoring system and harness, all with the stock seat. How did it work out for you? How many weekends did you run like that before it was not good enough?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here's a quote from the tech standards for the NCM HPDEs:

Harnesses – Restraints must be the same for driver and passenger. A driver cannot use a harness unless there is an equal one for the passenger. The stock 3-point seatbelt is perfectly fine for this event. If a person chooses to put in a “race harness” they must do so for both seats. A driver cannot use a harness unless there is an equal one for the passenger. Race Harnesses must pass through the seat and not around it and be installed as per manufacturers guidelines. Installation accuracy is the responsibility of the student.

A number of owners here on the forum have cut holes in the C6 seatback and installed large grommets for the shoulder harness to pass through. Many years ago people used to use a sternum strap to hold the shoulder harness straps together if they passed around the headrest on the seat, but the sternum strap has been determined to be unsafe is not allowed by any of the major organizations.

However.....many track day sponsoring organizations require that, if harnesses are installed, you must have a fixed-back race seat built with harness pass-through holes.

Also, the stock seat doesn't very well accomodate the sub straps of your 5 or 6 point harness.

So.....a stock seat is just not really an acceptable seat to use a harness with.

Check with the tech guys of whatever organization you do track events with, but I bet you'll find that many will not accept harnesses with a stock seat.

Bob
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nolyaw
So you used the BK bar, Vetteworks harness anchoring system and harness, all with the stock seat. How did it work out for you? How many weekends did you run like that before it was not good enough?
It worked well for the first year until I went to Hoosiers, then I couldn't stay put any longer. As stated above, depends on your club. I track at the Glen and you can push 1.2+Gs on stock GYs so it really helped, until I went to Stoptechs and Hoosiers, then the Sparco was really the best.

If you are just getting to know what the car can do and need to be strapped in firmer, then you will be fine until you figure out your racing seat situation. Many to choose from with different mounts, etc. I use the PFADT mounts, but I don't think they make them any longer.

In the end, however, this may not be as safe as the stock 3pts, but you will be strapped in much better for control, etc.

Hope it helps,
bob
Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Nolyaw
Instructor

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Bob
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

You can use a 4 point belt just like in this picture and also pull the stock 3 point belt over top of (or underneath of) the 4 point harness.

Some argue that the 4 point belt is unsafe without pass thru holes in the seat because you will squirt out between the 2 shoulder belts.

But when you only have the one stock shoulder belt you would be more likley to squirt past it. If you use both belts at the same time you are going to stay put pretty good.

....... ..... The weak link at this point is not the belt system, .....it is your head detaching from your body because you don't have a propper HANS device.

But this picture shows a safer mo better setup... a proper 6 point setup with race seat

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-14-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 PM
k w f z06
Instructor

You can look at the TEAM TECH jet pilot , with the Hardbar lap belt , and the Brey Krause harness bar , i run that set up for a while wtih factory seat . I have a Jet pilot Harness for sale , if you are interesting . (retail $435.00)
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
But this picture shows a safer mo better setup... a proper 6 point setup with race seat

WOW!!!! Very nice setup!!!

It's easy to see that your body will be held erect in the seat by the harness system.

However, because of that, many of the real knowledgeable guys in the Autox/Roadrace section advocate for a rollbar/cage like you have if you're going to run a harness.

With the harness holding you up in the seat, there's no possibility of your body "slumping" forward or to the side in the event of rollover, and if the roof collapses it's coming right down on your head and rigidly erect body.

Just a thought.........

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Seat harness question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Seat harness question