Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Internal muffler modification(OEM), would you suggest this to others???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
ScottyBud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does have the tractor sound when stock but once you add headers and a cam it sounds much better at idle.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have ridden in a car with the mod, most will not agree with me but the mod makes the exhaust more raspy and tinny, louder yes! but i prefer the more deep throaty sound and therefore i would not do this mod.

this mod effectivly gives you a straight pipe sound because the exhause simply goes right through the muffler without the benifit of a chamber to allow the exhaust to resinate in.
most will like it but the funny thing is i run my totally stock exhaust with the bypass open and on more occasions than i can count when i have left the stoplight under heavy throttle the next light will bring all sorts of questions about what exhaust i am running that it sounds really good and people are in total disbelief that it's stock.
for me, the rule applies, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

i control my exhaust bypass through my kenwood stereo with an external output i labled "exhaust bypass" i have another open switch and output for lights or anything else i want to control.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jgaches
Have you actually seen the inside of a 2011 muffler or did you just hear that is the case? I have yet to see anyone that has seen first hand the internal works/differences of the ZR1 or 2011 mufflers compared to 2008 mufflers....if any.
Verified during a disscusion with a GM Rep. at their setup in Carlisle. The mod caught their attention and deciced it was an easy design change for them.Makes the Z sound like the animal it is while appeasing the sound police.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
i have ridden in a car with the mod, most will not agree with me but the mod makes the exhaust more raspy and tinny, louder yes! but i prefer the more deep throaty sound and therefore i would not do this mod.

this mod effectivly gives you a straight pipe sound because the exhause simply goes right through the muffler without the benifit of a chamber to allow the exhaust to resinate in.
most will like it but the funny thing is i run my totally stock exhaust with the bypass open and on more occasions than i can count when i have left the stoplight under heavy throttle the next light will bring all sorts of questions about what exhaust i am running that it sounds really good and people are in total disbelief that it's stock.
for me, the rule applies, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

i control my exhaust bypass through my kenwood stereo with an external output i labled "exhaust bypass" i have another open switch and output for lights or anything else i want to control.
My favorite saying"aint broke,don't fix" But some things can be improved upon so that makes them an improvment.GM relized this one for 2011 and gave us their Improved exhaust system for the Z.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
My favorite saying"aint broke,don't fix" But some things can be improved upon so that makes them an improvment.GM relized this one for 2011 and gave us their Improved exhaust system for the Z.
i had heard that while i was at the corvette assembly plant 2 months ago watching thr 2011's roll off the line and start up for the first time.
however i still like the throaty tone of the stock exhaust pre 2011 but if i had a new 2011 i wouldnt waste my money trying to change it.
i guess the bottom line is it doesnt bother me either way.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jgaches
Have you actually seen the inside of a 2011 muffler or did you just hear that is the case? I have yet to see anyone that has seen first hand the internal works/differences of the ZR1 or 2011 mufflers compared to 2008 mufflers....if any.
I saw the video of the unveiling of the 2011 Z06. They specifically mentioned that the 2011 bi-mode mufflers had no perforations similar to the NNP and ZR1 exhausts. I don't know what, if any, other changes were made to the system, or even if they are exactly the same mufflers as on the ZR1 (though they have different part numbers).

Richierich, who had modded Z06 mufflers on his car and then switched to a set off a ZR1, said the ZR1 units sounded significantly better.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by diverdan
I saw the video of the unveiling of the 2011 Z06. They specifically mentioned that the 2011 bi-mode mufflers had no perforations similar to the NNP and ZR1 exhausts. I don't know what, if any, other changes were made to the system, or even if they are exactly the same mufflers as on the ZR1 (though they have different part numbers).

Richierich, who had modded Z06 mufflers on his car and then switched to a set off a ZR1, said the ZR1 units sounded significantly better.
Yep, that is why I ask the question. Lots of people say the tone sounds different from one to the next but it would be great to actually know what internal changes are being made to generate these differences. I have yet to see anyone post that they have actually seen the inside of the ZR1 or 2011 muffler to confirm. I suppose that will happen with time. It seems strange to me the new ZO6 mufflers is suppose to be a straight thru design, yet it is different than the supposedly already better sounding ZR1 muffler.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:07 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Regarding part numbers:

2009 started a 'kick' at the slip fit location, minor change
Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have American racing headers X pipe and muffler mod. The muffler mod with the headers sound very different than without. I love the sound of the mod with headers and think it was one of the best things I could have done to the car. At WOT the car sounds amazing and at idle the car sounds like this is not a car you should not be messing with. I wouldn't hesitate to do this mod again.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
I have American racing headers X pipe and muffler mod. The muffler mod with the headers sound very different than without. I love the sound of the mod with headers and think it was one of the best things I could have done to the car. At WOT the car sounds amazing and at idle the car sounds like this is not a car you should not be messing with. I wouldn't hesitate to do this mod again.
Mike, did you get the ARH installed at Carlisle?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Nickvet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EXCELR8
Definatley YES, huge difference and great sound with a cam and headers, mild to wild programmed to the visor still gives the best of both worlds.
I didn't realize that you could program the mild to wild to the visor. I have the mod with headers. I love it - very aggressive sound and not too loud for me. Much louder than stock. I love a loud burbling exhaust note.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
Alright, we need a couple NE cars to get the word out.

Call for pricing
I have my stock Z06 mufflers in the basement....just waiting to be modded. PM me a price if your doing these.....
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Absolutely without a doubt...YES
what he said!!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Definatley YES here also. Great mod.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 AM
EXCELR8
Racer

Originally Posted by Nickvet
I didn't realize that you could program the mild to wild to the visor. I have the mod with headers. I love it - very aggressive sound and not too loud for me. Much louder than stock. I love a loud burbling exhaust note.
Just have your remote program/learn to the visor like your garage door opener. Instructions in the manual, I think 2008 does not program but 2007 does, check it out.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I've heard this mod in person and it sounds AMAZING, I would never bother with an aftermarket catback if I had a C6Z.

Definitely see Steve for this mod if you are in the area, he has done a bunch of work for me in the past and I can highly recommend him!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks Bill

I should have a spare set of C6Z06 mufflers next week, this will make the swap quicker for Northeast members

Get notified of new replies

To Internal muffler modification(OEM), would you suggest this to others???

Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 PM
jbvaldez
Advanced

Had mine done when I installed cam and headers. On "quiet" almost sounds like stock, on open everyone stops, and looks. For the cost it can't be beat. You can spend much more money for a marginally better sound, and you won't have the option to switch back to quiet.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 PM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Recently did mine, have longtubes and no cats. TOO LOUD at WOT. Put cats back on and it's perfect. Louder than stock, little bit of backfire upon decel, and idle is deeper and not too loud. I'm a happy camper. I couldn't imagine this mod with no cats and a cam. Sick at idle, but probably kills too much of the stealthness of the car
Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I'm late to the thread, but in case anyone wanted another example of the muffler mod sound:

Quick Reply: [Z06] Internal muffler modification(OEM), would you suggest this to others???