Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Gen IV Viper to.....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
AZDevilFan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen IV Viper to.....?

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this forum for some time now and have been a certifiable car nut for many, many years now. My latest "fun" car was a 2008 Viper and absolutely LOVED that car, but sold it because I felt I needed a performance car with a back seat. Well, the only three cars that grabbed my attention were the GT-R, the new 911tt, the 2011 GT500 or a couple AMG cars. With business continuing to lag, I started to feel that I needed to limit my price point to sub $100k, so the 911 was out of the equation. Here's the thing, the upcoming GT-R revisions are grabbing my attention, but I just don't like what I'm hearing from forums and owners regarding maintenance and warranty issues. I like the GT-500, but it's not a true sports car and I'm concerned I won't like the handling and weight (also don't like the interior). The AMG cars are cool (E63 and C63), but again they're not true sports cars and coming from a Gen IV Viper, I think they might end up boring me after a couple months. So, I had a long discussion with my wife and she's trying to convince me to go back to a true sports car (ie, two seats) and get back into a Viper...maybe an ACR. That brings me to why I'm hear. I've never been a Vette owner and have always had a little bias towards Vipers. However, the ZR1 is totally grabbing my thoughts during every hour of every day. After looking at one at a local dealer, I really liked the looks of the grey and the white exterior colors and actually liked the interior compared to some of the other cars I was looking at. So, here comes my questions. Has any ZR1 owners come from a Gen IV Viper? If so, would you like to share your thoughts? There are a couple Viper owners that also own ZR1's, and I'm going to try and find them on the Viper forums and ask them to provide some feedback. Also, I would love to be able to meet any ZR1 owners in the metro Phoenix/Scottsdale areas of AZ. If any of you would be willing to sit down with me, take me for a spin, and just give me some insight into these cars, I'd be really thankfull. Sorry for such a long post everyone, and thanks in advance for any thoughts you'd like to share.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Ray W
Advanced

I have both 2009 ZR-1 and 2008 Viper. I love both. It is literally like saying which is your favorite child (if you have more than one).

1. They are both fairly equal in performance.
2. Viper gets at little more respect and attention.
3. City driving goes to the ZR-1.
4. Highway driving goes to the Viper.
5. Smoothness goes to the ZR-1.
6. Driver comfort Viper.
7. ZR-1 engine sound under full power-addictive
8. Viper engine sound-disappointing
9. Electric muffler by-pass on the ZR-1,my favorite thing.
10.Carbon fiber brake rotors on the ZR-1,my second favorite thing. "never" ever any brake dust. Amazing.

I am glad I don't have to choose.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM
rkvett
Instructor

my son just about a month ago traded his 2009 jet stream blue zr1..to buy one of the last 6 acr vipers made.. nothing wrong with zr1, low miles but said droping value, fast ! he thinks this speical viper will/might hold value like his 2006 ford gt does ? time will tell..
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
AZDevilFan
5th Gear

Thanks for the replys. I think my issue is two fold...

One, I can't get a feel for the ZR1 while it's sitting in a showroom and I really don't need to drive the car, just ride as a passenger to get a good idea of whether or not I'll like it and I don't want to even ask a dealer for a test drive. I know I like to purchase my new cars with no mileage, and I can understand why a dealer wouldn't want a ZR1 to be taken out for a test.

Two, I'm just not sure if I want to go with a back seat or not. As a family, we enjoy going on day trips up to the mountains. Unfortunately, doing it in a diesel E class doesn't exactly ooze "excitment". If I stick with a two seater, the decision comes down to another Viper (specifically an ACR) or the ZR1.

Ray W, I find your comments interesting. I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but I actually didn't like my Viper on long runs specifically because of the lack of cruise control. I would have assumed the ZR1 would be far more comfortable on longer trips. You also say comfort goes to the Viper which blows my mind. Again, I would of thought it would be the other way around. I agree about the sound of the V10. It sounds like a wounded UPS truck.

What I loved about my Viper was that it felt very special. The paint was incredible, the power was amazing and it looked like an "exotic". Even the dash layout is unique and cool and engine bay is clean and beautiful. However, the Vette appears to be the more comfortable and easier to live with car (well, at least I thought it would be). And, it has some nice creature comforts that the Viper doesn't have.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to get engaged but get stuck on the whole "back seat" need. A ZR or Vipet don't qualify,... pretty
obvious .
Buy
a mini
van & a man-car
, or consider something like a M5 or M6. Kids can puke in the back seat while you have fun in the front seat!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR Guy
I was going to get engaged but get stuck on the whole "back seat" need. A ZR or Vipet don't qualify,... pretty
obvious .
Buy
a mini
van & a man-car
, or consider something like a M5 or M6. Kids can puke in the back seat while you have fun in the front seat!
One of the funnier posts I've read around the forum lately. And a very nice garage you have.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 PM
95PoloGreen
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkvett
my son just about a month ago traded his 2009 jet stream blue zr1..to buy one of the last 6 acr vipers made.. nothing wrong with zr1, low miles but said droping value, fast ! he thinks this speical viper will/might hold value like his 2006 ford gt does ? time will tell..
I never thought of a 2006 Mustang GT as a valuable collecter car that holds its value.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
AZDevilFan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ZR Guy
obvious .
Buy
a mini
van & a man-car
I'm not looking at the ZR1 as a daily driver. Even though it will only be a toy, the idea of having a back seat to take the entire family on group runs is attractive versus going by myself. On the other hand, I'm stuck with knowing no ZR1 in my immediate future. Obviously, only I can answer the seating question. I guess I'm looking for more personal opinions on the similarities and differences between the Gen IV Vipers and ZR1, outside of performance.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
AZDevilFan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 95PoloGreen
I never thought of a 2006 Mustang GT as a valuable collecter car that holds its value.
Ford GT, not Mustang GT.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Isn't the Viper scheduled to return in 2012?
Why not wait and get that?
If you're entertaining the ZR1 you don't need a back seat.

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/vipe...o-dealers.html

Last edited by 05dsom; 10-25-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

New Lotus Elan and Elite are 2+2's
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I have been looking at a new ACR and was hoping that an aftermarket cruise could be added?.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

How tall are you? How tall are your children? Have you seen the back seats in a GT-R, 911, and Lotus? I have, and unless you are fairly short (or don't mind sitting very close to wheel), plus your kids are very young (or extremely short), forget about those cars for a useable back seat. Matter of fact, when I sat in a GT-R the seat back was AGAINST the rear seat. The Lotus is just as bad. No, it's worse. The 911 probably almost as bad as the GT-R. In other words, no one can sit behind me in any of these cars, unless we're talking infant seat. I am 6 ft. even on a good day, so far from Andre the Giant.

The Mustang could probably swing it with kids. M3 as well. Have you driven the newest M3? Very impressive IMHO. I've driven lots of stuff, and I was pleasantly surprised. Night and day from the previous M. It's not going to have the power of the ZR1/Viper, but it's no slouch either. And the overall 'feel' of the car is fantastic. Corners great. BY FAR, BMW's best product. And yes, I've driven the M5. M3 is far superior IMO and feels 'as close' to a sports car as I've felt in a sedan. RX8 feels great to, but no power/reliability issues/poor fuel economy/low HP/Torque.

If you're now set on a 2 seater, simple. Test drive both see which one you prefer. A 10 minute 'proper' test drive will tell you more than 100,000 post on this or any forum. And your opinion is the only one that matters.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 10-25-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zrracer
I have been looking at a new ACR and was hoping that an aftermarket cruise could be added?.
Not as of 1 month ago. The Gen IV Viper is FLY BY WIRE. No one has a kit from my understanding. 2006 previous could be done (had throttle cables which the kit controlled).

P.S. - I believe you're the first person ever to desire cruise control in the latest ACR. That's kind-of-like wanting roll-up windows in a S-Class Benz, but in reverse.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 10-25-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Ray W
Advanced

On most highways cruise control is useless here in Florida. I do use it on the Zr1 to set a minimum speed instead of a cruise speed.

I wish the Viper had it but I can live without it.

The reason I pick the Viper on the highway is better gearing for quieter cruising and about 6-8 more mpg. At 5'8'' the seats in the Viper are much more comfortable and armrests and shifter are at good locations compared to the ZR-1.

My back never hurts in the Viper but my limit in the ZR-1 is about 2hrs even with all the adjustments.

On a daily basis getting in and out of the Viper is a chore for that reason I prefer the ZR-1 when making multiple stops.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray W
On most highways cruise control is useless here in Florida. I do use it on the Zr1 to set a minimum speed instead of a cruise speed.

I wish the Viper had it but I can live without it.

The reason I pick the Viper on the highway is better gearing for quieter cruising and about 6-8 more mpg. At 5'8'' the seats in the Viper are much more comfortable and armrests and shifter are at good locations compared to the ZR-1.

My back never hurts in the Viper but my limit in the ZR-1 is about 2hrs even with all the adjustments.

On a daily basis getting in and out of the Viper is a chore for that reason I prefer the ZR-1 when making multiple stops.
The Viper seats are very comfy/supportive, once you're in.....
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

how can you go wrong with either one? Its a win, win situation.

Get notified of new replies

To Gen IV Viper to.....?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
AZDevilFan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
How tall are you? How tall are your children? Have you seen the back seats in a GT-R, 911, and Lotus? I have, and unless you are fairly short (or don't mind sitting very close to wheel), plus your kids are very young (or extremely short), forget about those cars for a useable back seat. Matter of fact, when I sat in a GT-R the seat back was AGAINST the rear seat. The Lotus is just as bad. No, it's worse. The 911 probably almost as bad as the GT-R. In other words, no one can sit behind me in any of these cars, unless we're talking infant seat. I am 6 ft. even on a good day, so far from Andre the Giant.

The Mustang could probably swing it with kids. M3 as well. Have you driven the newest M3? Very impressive IMHO. I've driven lots of stuff, and I was pleasantly surprised. Night and day from the previous M. It's not going to have the power of the ZR1/Viper, but it's no slouch either. And the overall 'feel' of the car is fantastic. Corners great. BY FAR, BMW's best product. And yes, I've driven the M5. M3 is far superior IMO and feels 'as close' to a sports car as I've felt in a sedan. RX8 feels great to, but no power/reliability issues/poor fuel economy/low HP/Torque.

If you're now set on a 2 seater, simple. Test drive both see which one you prefer. A 10 minute 'proper' test drive will tell you more than 100,000 post on this or any forum. And your opinion is the only one that matters.
Informative post...thank you. To me, the M3 didn't have enough power to satisfy me in straight line acceleration. As to the test drive, I didn't expect any dealer to allow a drive. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll be heading back to the dealer next week to see.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, any thought of a CTS-V?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Hmmm, any thought of a CTS-V?
coupe, right?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Gen IV Viper to.....?