Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Ist it just me or is the Corvette ZR1......

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Do you think that gap will widen if DR's are used, given the weak clutch in the LS7?
I don't know if it will widen. There has not been that much running of a stock ZR1 on drag radials yet that I know of. I have made like 3 passes and Ranger has made a few in our car. I think Jamie has made a few passes with his being the best so far with a 10.69 from what I remember but still only a 1.67 60'time. I could see a high 10.4 or low 10.5 easily with a better launch. Being these cars are stock I still think there is some torque management to deal with. If someone could manage a low 1.5 60' time then you may see the gap widen a little.

Last edited by racerns; 10-24-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by GIO-305
The ZR1 will always be King..
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '08 Z is the best vette by far of the 6 I have owned. Adding DRM Bilsteins and Michelin PS ZPs have substantially improved its handling. That, said, it is NO ZR1, and unquestionably the ZR1 is at the top of the food chain.

I have constantly gone back and forth re selling my Z to buy a ZR1. I own my Z06 and got about 10k off of MSRP when I bought it, but still, the delta between my car and a new (even discounted) ZR1 is probably about $60-65k. Though I could swing it, I am not sure given the state of the economy plus how I use the car, it makes sense to me.

I am even tempted somewhat by the 2011 Z, with the Z07 and body package options for about $85k from forum dealerships. The new Z has PTM, ZR1 goodies, the larger oil capacity, etc compared to my Z, and about $25k less than a discounted optioned out ZR1.

Just thinking out the options at this point.

Lot's of decisions...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Aside from how it handles rough road (Reminds me of a BMW M5) and the bulge on the hood for the blower, it drives around town just like a Z06.
I'm not sure I could possibly disagree with you more. I drove my '07 Z06 everywhere for almost 3 years and now have almost 5300 miles on my ZR1. The two cars are night and day different when it comes to ride, handling, and power delivery.

The torque of the LS9 isn't just "MORE", as you say. It's "MORE" and immediate. The LS7 is never left gasping for breath, mind you, but in the lower RPMs it hasn't got nearly the linear torque delivery that the LS9 does. It's right now. It's almost yesterday, as I originally wrote on one of my older ZR1 reviews. Very, VERY different than how the LS7 delivers its torque.

The Michelins and the RTD in the car make it handle and ride completely differently than the Z06. It's not just about the rough roads, as you put it. It's about all the roads. The car doesn't exhaust its driver like the Z06 can do, whether on long trips down the highway, blasts through the mountains, or short jaunts through town.

We are, of course, all entitled to our opinions. But it seems like you haven't actually put a lot of miles on your ZR1 if your post is how you really feel about the differences.

jas
Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
The new Z has PTM, ZR1 goodies, the larger oil capacity, etc compared to my Z, and about $25k less than a discounted optioned out ZR1.
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the PTM is ZR1-only and hasn't been ported to the Z06. If someone has a Z07-equipped 2011 Z06, they can certainly verify for us.

jas
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Notch
When an individual has enough money not to be concerned about what a car costs.
Wrong!! you'll be quite surprised as to how individuals with that much money think
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM
MBN
Intermediate

I sometimes wonder if ZR1s actually make 638 HP at the crank.

Don't get me wrong. I love ZR1s. Thay are definitely the best Vettes ever. I want one. They do many things better than my car. (Actually, they do everything better.)

But, I do think that the power may be a little bit exaggerated by GM. I know auto companies must utilize the new SAE guidelines for power ratings. However, I still think something is off.

As many people have already mentioned, acceleration times of ZR1s are better than Z06s, but not by as much as I would think. I know that traction is a challenge, so I will refer to trap speeds. It seems that ZR1 traps are, in general, 5 MPH better than those of Z06s. I know ZR1s weigh more, but they don't weight that much more. I would think that a car that makes 133 more HP would be much quicker and would trap much higher.

Here is another point. It seems, after reading about many ZR1 and Z06 owners' dyno results, that Z06s dyno around 440 to 450 HP stock (rear wheel). And, ZR1s dyno about 530 to 540 HP stock (rear wheel). I know that ZR1s have bigger wheels, which reduce their results. But,...I still don't see the driveline losing 98 to 108 HP on ZR1s when Z06s lose 55 to 65 HP.

Given the acceleration results, and the dyno results, I suspect that ZR1s make around 600 HP or so at the crank.

Please, I mean no offense to anyone. I write this out of ignorance, and I just want to know people's thoughts on this. The ZR1 is KING, no matter the numbers, and I want one!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DannyKing
Wrong!! you'll be quite surprised as to how individuals with that much money think
I know many people that are as I described.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by MBN
Given the acceleration results, and the dyno results, I suspect that ZR1s make around 600 HP or so at the crank.
I'd strongly recommend you take a tour of the most excellent Wixom Performance Build Center, where each engine that comes off the line is spun up on a dyno and verified. It's part of the SAE spec.

The engines coming out of that plant are making their advertised HP.

jas
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MBN
I sometimes wonder if ZR1s actually make 638 HP at the crank....

Sorry, but SAE certified now means that the results have 3rd party oversight. This has also been independently verified by Katech on their engine dyno with the LS9 testing right where is should (along with the LS7). You can not use chassis dyno numbers to accurately determine engine hp as there are way too many variables. This has been proven time and again. The SAE correction factor that gets applied to the rwhp results is not accurate for supercharged engines.

As I explained earlier in this thread the main reason that the ETs are somewhat close has to do with the very tall 1st and 2nd gears in the ZR1. You also have to understand that trap speed does not go up linearly with hp at the speeds we are talking about. The aerodynamic drag is having a big effect at these types of track speed. This coupled with the ZR1s extra weight and aero drag makes the 5 mph sound about right.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Sorry, but SAE certified now means that the results have 3rd party oversight. This has also been independently verified by Katech on their engine dyno with the LS9 testing right where is should (along with the LS7). You can not use chassis dyno numbers to accurately determine engine hp as there are way too many variables. This has been proven time and again. The SAE correction factor that gets applied to the rwhp results is not accurate for supercharged engines.

As I explained earlier in this thread the main reason that the ETs are somewhat close has to do with the very tall 1st and 2nd gears in the ZR1. You also have to understand that trap speed does not go up linearly with hp at the speeds we are talking about. The aerodynamic drag is having a big effect at these types of track speed. This coupled with the ZR1s extra weight and aero drag makes the 5 mph sound about right.
Air-drag is not linear, but exponential. I think it is by a factor of ^4, but don't want to be quoted on that.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As a Z06 owner, I don't understand why anyone would say the ZR1 is not worth the money unless they aren't able to push the car hard enough to warrant owning one, or simply can't afford one and are bitter. It has Enzo (yes that $400,000+ car) brakes that will never quit unlike Z06 brakes, a waaaay better clutch, more power, and better overall grip. It is hands down a better car and a great value, maybe just not as great of a value to the guys who just do some weekend romps and drag race here and there. That is subjective.

I have a cammed Z06 that traps 131, and I have raced my friends ZR1 probably 30 times, I have not once ever been able to pull him. My car is fairly modded with cam, headers, corsa, tune etc. But a ZR1 still has a factory warranty and civil driving manners. That warranty alone is worth the extra money to some guys. Did I mod my car to go straight as fast as a ZR1 for cheaper? Yes. Did I take a risk now that I have no warranty? Yes.

Different strokes for different folks. But to say its a waste of the extra money really depends on how you are using it. I for one am thinking of selling my Z06 and grabbing a ZR1 in the next year or so because it is a step up, and a great value, TO ME.

Last edited by ConfusedGarage; 10-26-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:16 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Originally Posted by racerns

I'm willing to bet the aerodynamic drag, while a factor, is one of the smallest of factors between the trap speed difference of a zr1 and z06. Its just that generally the square of velocity increases linearly with acceleration and distance. Big gains in acceleration have to be made for small gains in speed at the trap. I'm also willing to be that you know this yourself, I'm just pointing it out for every1 else.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
As a Z06 owner, I don't understand why anyone would say the ZR1 is not worth the money unless they aren't able to push the car hard enough to warrant owning one, or simply can't afford one and are bitter. It has Enzo (yes that $400,000+ car) brakes that will never quit unlike Z06 brakes, a waaaay better clutch, more power, and better overall grip. It is hands down a better car and a great value, maybe just not as great of a value to the guys who just do some weekend romps and drag race here and there. That is subjective.

I have a cammed Z06 that traps 131, and I have raced my friends ZR1 probably 30 times, I have not once ever been able to pull him. My car is fairly modded with cam, headers, corsa, tune etc. But a ZR1 still has a factory warranty and civil driving manners. That warranty alone is worth the extra money to some guys. Did I mod my car to go straight as fast as a ZR1 for cheaper? Yes. Did I take a risk now that I have now warranty? Yes.

Different strokes for different folks. But to say its a waste of the extra money really depends on how you are using it. I for one am thinking of selling my Z06 and grabbing a ZR1 in the next year or so because it is a step up, and a great value, TO ME.
Is your buddies Zr1 Stock ? If so he needs driver mod, since even a Mild cam Z06 (520-540 rwhp) should pull on a Zr1 ..
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage

I have a cammed Z06 that traps 131, and I have raced my friends ZR1 probably 30 times, I have not once ever been able to pull him. My car is fairly modded with cam, headers, corsa, tune etc. But a ZR1 still has a factory warranty and civil driving manners. That warranty alone is worth the extra money to some guys. Did I mod my car to go straight as fast as a ZR1 for cheaper? Yes. Did I take a risk now that I have now warranty? Yes.

Very well said
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 AM
08msmZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's just you...the ZR1 is an all-around superior car.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08msmZ06
It's just you...the ZR1 is an all-around superior car.
for sure

Get notified of new replies

To Ist it just me or is the Corvette ZR1......

Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

I do see your point... I am not sure if the numbers are off that GM publishes... For example, a ZR1 on the same Dyno that I use does 545rw and mine does 570rw (obviously modded). So according to this I should have ~665fwhp to the ZR1's 638... I am also about 300lbs lighter with the weight savings that I have done as well... I did see a R&T Article where where compared like 50+ cars and the Zr1 and Z06 numbers were pretty close... If I remember correctly it was 0-60 3.4 vs 3.7 and the 1/4 mile was not that far apart to warrant the difference in HP... They are both great cars, I just prefer N\A motors... Like I have said before, I will wait until the SuperCar version of the C7 comes out before I get rid of my car...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 AM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Is your buddies Zr1 Stock ? If so he needs driver mod, since even a Mild cam Z06 (520-540 rwhp) should pull on a Zr1 ..
I walked away from a ZR1 with a tune with my car...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a reason why I left dyno numbers out of it, they are not great for comparisons. Is that 520-540you state Mustang dyno, dyno jet? My friend put down 512 and 540 on 2 different dynos without any changes on a camaro he finished with the aps kit. Dyno talk is mumbo jumbo unless you are comparing pulls from the same dyno.

Reason I ask, is because I see people claiming 570-600 rwhp, but then they trap at 133. That seems odd when people claim to be almost 600 rwhp and are not trapping closer to 140 (135-137).

Sure, its not hard to pull some ZR1s, I see guys on this forum posting times trapping mid 120s all the time, I could easily walk them. But a properly driven stock Zr1 trapping over 130 makes it tough. Roatanman -on your point, what are your traps out of curiosity? My guess would be 135 from what I see at the tracks near me at that power level. Am I close?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ist it just me or is the Corvette ZR1......