Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thinking about selling....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Default Thinking about selling....

May or may not pull the trigger on it, but what would you do and what's it worth?

A) Demodify it back to stock and sell the upgrades?
B) Sell it as-is (with slight sacrifices to stock drivability due to clutch and cam selection)?
C) Tone it down a bit with a more street friendly clutch and cam to regain stock drivability and street mannerisms?

It's a 2008 2LZ with chrome, nav, and approximately 17K miles on the clock. It has clear film, so paint is still in great shape overall.

Hasn't been babied, but hasn't been royally abused, either. It's been driven the way it was meant to be driven.

Thanks.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 10-18-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think your best bet would be to de-mod it and return it back to as close to stock as possible if it were easy. De-modding is tough on a cammed car because of the added expense of re-installing the stock cam. The problem with selling a modded car is, you can't really expect to get anymore than about $.25 on the dollar for what you paid for your mods and can usually make out better selling them outright. You really have to ask yourself if the expense to de-mod is worth it (loss vs gain) and if you are really going to net that much more or close to what you will pay going back to stock.

In my experience, selling modded cars is harder because you have to find a specific buyer looking for exactly what you have. There will always be that question in the back of their mind about how the car was driven since its was modded. You brought up two good points, drivability and mannerisms which are huge unless your buyer wants a raw driving car. When I was in the market for a Z, I drove a Vette Doctors (Sick Stick) modded Z and a stock Z. I ended up buying the stock Z so I could have the car modded myself and so I knew exactly what I was getting.

On the down side of my purchase, I could have had a fully modded car for the same price as the new Z I bought and wouldn't have had to spend the money on future mods. So it's hard to say. I would say give it a try as is and see what you can get.

The market sucks right now for pretty much everything. I would think you should be able to get somewhere in the low $50's for it with the right buyer and a little patients. But, I've also seen quite a few 08's in that condition and even less miles going for high $40's.

It's all about finding the right buyer for your car. Do some leg work and have it professionally appraised with your mods. Don't expect to get what your "Percieved Value or Appraised Value" for the car but if you work hard enough, it's possible. There may not be a buyer for every car but having a little patients can pay off. It's also about "Selling" your car. Not the accepting money part of selling, but "Selling" it in the description, the details, the documentation, the presentation and giving it that 'wow factor' when the prospective buyer reads about it or comes to see it. That's where the true value of a car speaks for itself.

Just my $.02.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Return to stock.

Man, I wish I could sell mine, but the wife won't hear of it. It just sits in the garage and continues to depreciate. Ever since I bought a Hayabusa three years ago, my Z06 just sits.

CL
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clogan
Return to stock.

Man, I wish I could sell mine, but the wife won't hear of it. It just sits in the garage and continues to depreciate. Ever since I bought a Hayabusa three years ago, my Z06 just sits.

CL
Guess, I just don't get that at all unless the car is titled in her name only. If you are not using and enjoying the car, what is the point of staring at a depreciating, unenjoyed asset? Then again, the cash for my Vettes comes from me only so I decide what, when and how.

Hope it works out for you...
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The car will be much more marketable stock. BUT.. you can sell it BOTH WAYS. Advertise your Z in 3 places. 1 STOCK. 1 mild mods 1 ALL mods. See what kind of response you get from each advertisement.. Then change the car accordingly.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EViL427
May or may not pull the trigger on it, but what would you do and what's it worth?

A) Demodify it back to stock and sell the upgrades?
B) Sell it as-is (with slight sacrifices to stock drivability due to clutch and cam selection)?
C) Tone it down a bit with a more street friendly clutch and cam to regain stock drivability and street mannerisms?

It's a 2008 2LZ with chrome, nav, and approximately 17K miles on the clock. It has clear film, so paint is still in great shape overall.

Hasn't been babied, but hasn't been royally abused, either. It's been driven the way it was meant to be driven.

Thanks.
One thing I would suggest is that if you don't put it up for sale very soon, wait until very early Spring if that is possible for you . I have bought and sold 6 Vettes prior to my current car, and they seem to be a little like boats in that their prices weaken over the winter months.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sav1
The car will be much more marketable stock. BUT.. you can sell it BOTH WAYS. Advertise your Z in 3 places. 1 STOCK. 1 mild mods 1 ALL mods. See what kind of response you get from each advertisement.. Then change the car accordingly.
That would be my suggestion, but the hassle of de-modding, advertising, packaging and shipping the parts will surely be a major PITA.

Your best best will be to find that rare buyer that can appreciate the modded car and won't rape you in his offer.

Good luck

Tom
Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Either way I feel is a loser. Sorry you are selling.........
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would sell "as-is"....there are lots of people in the market for modded cars, especially car like yours with just the right amount of modifications to be fun, yet reliable. A head/cam Z06 was my ideal car, and I ended up with a much more stock car than I wanted...so spending money now to get it to the point I want it kind of blows. I would say you are best off selling your car as an excellent condition, low mile, right mods, 10 sec car because that is what it is.

The real question is why? Why are you debating to sell it? Buying something else, leaving cars, etc...? Sell it to Shawn and have him sell his car instead.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Ther is no question about it. Demod the car and sell it and the parts separately. We are in hard times and sellers are difficult to find. Buyers for a stock car out number modded car buyers 1000 to 1. Even the few of us that enjoy a modified car usually want to "do it my way."
Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
2SINISTER
Racer

Even if you de-modify it by removing the cam, exhaust and all other performance components, it is still going to be a modified car due to the tune likely voiding the powertrain warranty. Might as well leave all the parts in there and just wait for the right buyer. Why go through all the extra expense of returning parts to stock? Plus, you'll still get to enjoy it as-is until you do sell it.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would just sell it as-is.

But, speaking as someone who is looking for an unmodified car, any serious de-modding should be noted to potential buyers.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lane_change
I would sell "as-is"....there are lots of people in the market for modded cars, especially car like yours with just the right amount of modifications to be fun, yet reliable. A head/cam Z06 was my ideal car, and I ended up with a much more stock car than I wanted...so spending money now to get it to the point I want it kind of blows. I would say you are best off selling your car as an excellent condition, low mile, right mods, 10 sec car because that is what it is.

The real question is why? Why are you debating to sell it? Buying something else, leaving cars, etc...? Sell it to Shawn and have him sell his car instead.
Thinking about putting more money into savings as opposed to a depreciating asset for awhile (maybe a couple of years) and seeing where the computer industry goes. At the moment, it's going to Taiwan and China, and I certainly won't follow it there. Second reason is I think I may have overdone it just a bit and miss the stock mannerisms. Don't get me wrong, I love the power and personally can live with the mannerisms, but I do regret somewhat that the wife can't (won't) drive it now where she loved driving our automatic 2006 Coupe. Granted, she has her Lexus now (she didn't when we had the '06), so it's not a big deal, but it's a really expensive toy that she doesn't get to enjoy. She'd rather have a swimming pool.

It's not a final decision by any means. Just putting feelers out. I know I would deeply regret selling it. But it's honestly just a car. There will be others.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

In the end it is your decision. I have been talking about going back to college to get a different degree and have honestly been debating medical school (except I would have to take loads of science courses that I never took, so it would take a while to complete the necessary courses in order to even take my MCAT's, but I have been kicking this idea around now and would require quite a lifestyle change for my family and I....the Z06 being one of the sacrifices, along with my house since going down to a single income would be rough even though she makes a sizable income (just not enough to maintain our current lifestyle)....but like you I feel that as the industries continue to evolve, move, and change around me, I think it would benefit myself and my family in the long run to complete my MD, but man....it's a lot of information to compile and sort through in regards to which is the best decision. Engineering and Computer Sciences are great fields currently, but they are changing fast...and my field, Telecommunications is becoming Computer Science driven. You have to be willing to evolve or it will leave without you.

Cars can be excellent fun, but they are definitely a liability, not an asset. All they do is cost you money and damn near depreciate faster than you can pay off the interest. Would be nice to own it free and clear, but since I was in my 20's and not an MD when I bought it, that did not happen. Oh well, I will enjoy mine for now and who knows what decision I will make moving forward. Good luck on your choice, but a pool is a far worse investment in terms of "value" for dollar. Your house with a pool will not improve in value anywhere near the amount that you will invest to have one installed, so think about that before you sell your car as a depreciating asset in order to buy a pool.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cars can be excellent fun, but they are definitely a liability, not an asset. All they do is cost you money and damn near depreciate faster than you can pay off the interest. Would be nice to own it free and clear, but since I was in my 20's and not an MD when I bought it, that did not happen. Oh well, I will enjoy mine for now and who knows what decision I will make moving forward. Good luck on your choice, but a pool is a far worse investment in terms of "value" for dollar. Your house with a pool will not improve in value anywhere near the amount that you will invest to have one installed, so think about that before you sell your car as a depreciating asset in order to buy a pool.
No doubt. But the difference between a car and a pool is shared experience and enjoyment as opposed to my own selfish enjoyment. Hell, we could have pool parties where 30+ people could enjoy it at the same time, but there's no way in hell I'd let 30 people drive my car down the 1/4 mile.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

I would not sell my car to fund my pool...but I would sell my car to fund my bank account or my education. For now, I will enjoy my selfish needs and drive the **** out of the car, I bought it for me, it was never meant to be a family car or for family time.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

I would not sell my car to fund my pool...but I would sell my car to fund my bank account or my education. For now, I will enjoy my selfish needs and drive the **** out of the car, I bought it for me, it was never meant to be a family car or for family time.
Bingo! Life is too damn short. I have taken care of everyone in my life bigtime, now it's MY TURN (and my dough). I am "lucky" enough to own my car, but then again, hard work and a lot of thoroughly researched investing has more to do with it than luck.

Let me tell you a 9/11 story. I have a friend who works in the Pentagon and was just barely out of the worst blast radius when the plane hit. It knocked him out and he had minor injuries.

Prior to that, he was on the fence about buying a C5 Z. After he recovered, it was the first thing he did, and he never regretted it. Again, too many of us are in denial thinking we have all the time in the world. Nobody gets out alive and our warranties are expired.

And, that's all I have to say about that....

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about selling....

Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Bingo! Life is too damn short. I have taken care of everyone in my life bigtime, now it's MY TURN (and my dough). I am "lucky" enough to own my car, but then again, hard work and a lot of thoroughly researched investing has more to do with it than luck.

Let me tell you a 9/11 story. I have a friend who works in the Pentagon and was just barely out of the worst blast radius when the plane hit. It knocked him out and he had minor injuries.

Prior to that, he was on the fence about buying a C5 Z. After he recovered, it was the first thing he did, and he never regretted it. Again, too many of us are in denial thinking we have all the time in the world. Nobody gets out alive and our warranties are expired.

And, that's all I have to say about that....

10000%; each of us needs our own personal outlets and hobbies we are passionate about and as the poster states above life is DEFINITELY TOO SHORT, and none of us our guaranteed even being here 24 hours from now, not to mention next month or year!

Given all of the above and based upon what you have invested in the car, and how much $ you REALLY will lose it you sell it, that you should just KEEP IT and continue to ENJOY IT!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:18 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Thinking about putting more money into savings as opposed to a depreciating asset for awhile (maybe a couple of years) and seeing where the computer industry goes. At the moment, it's going to Taiwan and China, and I certainly won't follow it there. Second reason is I think I may have overdone it just a bit and miss the stock mannerisms. Don't get me wrong, I love the power and personally can live with the mannerisms, but I do regret somewhat that the wife can't (won't) drive it now where she loved driving our automatic 2006 Coupe. Granted, she has her Lexus now (she didn't when we had the '06), so it's not a big deal, but it's a really expensive toy that she doesn't get to enjoy. She'd rather have a swimming pool.

It's not a final decision by any means. Just putting feelers out. I know I would deeply regret selling it. But it's honestly just a car. There will be others.
I have heard this from a few guys who modded their cars and now that they have had the experience, the comments have been the same...."miss the drivability of the car the way it was". On the flip side, I know a few who just did the headers, tune and the CAI and would not change a thing because they love the bump in power, but also enjoy that the car is still well mannered until you get in it hard. So maybe the best bet is to tone it back down with the stock cam and keep it for the long haul. If you get the itch again, you will have everything to put it back the way it is now.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That wasn't the plan. As I said, I wanted to put more in savings to prepare for possible technology downsizing.

Pool was just an example of my wife's thinking.

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
10000%; each of us needs our own personal outlets and hobbies we are passionate about and as the poster states above life is DEFINITELY TOO SHORT, and none of us our guaranteed even being here 24 hours from now, not to mention next month or year!

Given all of the above and based upon what you have invested in the car, and how much $ you REALLY will lose it you sell it, that you should just KEEP IT and continue to ENJOY IT!!!
But I already got my 10 second time slip. That was my goal. I can die a happy man now.

10 years, 3 Vettes, and $60K pissed away to depreciation so far. I am thinking I need to redirect that towards changing careers.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 10-19-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thinking about selling....