Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Questions about owning a vett! First post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lots of great advice. 2 things to add.

1. You'd be much better off buying a 2002+ C5 (non-Z06) and learning on that. Still a SUPER fun car (that can be had cheaply) but it won't kill you as easily as a C6Z will. Trust me, I had an '01 Coupe and it was a BLAST to drive. I'd still have it if my wife hadn't wrecked it. The C6Z is a coffin for an inexperienced driver.

2. Welcome to the forum (officially). And it's "Vette" not "Vett"...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTheStigGalt

1. You'd be much better off buying a 2002+ C5 (non-Z06) and learning on that. Still a SUPER fun car (that can be had cheaply) but it won't kill you as easily as a C6Z will. Trust me, I had an '01 Coupe and it was a BLAST to drive. I'd still have it if my wife hadn't wrecked it. The C6Z is a coffin for an inexperienced driver.

OP won't have less than a C6Z. I understand his mentality and anyone advising he buy an "intermediate" car is just wasting time. No offense to either parties, it's just that OP and I think the same, there. Set out to do something--and do it. OP seems to have a time-line and will try to stick to it.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTheStigGalt

I don’t know how I missed that. It’s been corrected!
Originally Posted by Artgirl
My only suggestion is to go drive a stick for a while just to determine whether a manual transmission is even for you. . . because you may find its not.

If you like the manual transmission, the Z isn't inherently more difficult to drive than any other vehicle and as someone else said, its only fast if you want it to go fast. That doesn't really happen by accident. Its much more likely that you'll end up stalling it a bunch, or rolling into intersections as your feet fumble around for pedals, than it is that you'll put it in a ditch.
Oh I already know a stick is not right for me…that’s why I have a smooth riding automatic Pontiac as my DD!! The Vette will be a weekend toy, pleasure purchase…we only live once!
Originally Posted by PureSwank
25 years right here bro. Don't worry about driving Manuel its really simple. It's a one day thing if you know the basics. The z06 is really simple to drive until you floor it, otherwise go ahead with your purchase it should be a big deal. Learn with it, just don't ride the clutch. Disengage slowly until you feel the car moving toward then press the gas and release the clutch. Hope you get your ride bro! I pay 20 bucks a month insurance.
Hey I appreciate the advice! I’m a fast learner with anything I do, I’m confident learning stick won’t be a problem. But I have to know, aside from you being 25, how are you paying 20 bucks a month insurance?
Originally Posted by sav1
Wow, I love your attitude. You're going to do what ever it takes to get this car. Good for you. I wish more kids were as motivated as you,

Driving the stick is the least of your obsticles. Go learn on one of your friends beater cars, after an hour you;'ll be a pro. You may have to take into consideration cost of ownership. For instance tires alone on this car will run you Close to $1500. Low 40's you'll most likely be looking at an 06 - 07 Z with limited or 0 warranty. For one thing.. get rid of State Farm, they're one of the most expensive carriers out there.
Actually I am glad more kids aren’t as motivated as me… the market would be flooded with buyers! But seriously, you’re right- more than likely I’ll be in an ’07!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Learn stick on a rental car.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by morris
Learn stick on a rental car.
I will if I can...so far everyone Ive called does not rent manual cars.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I will if I can...so far everyone Ive called does not rent manual cars.
None of the big names do you are going to have to look at some of the smaller rental companies that are local.

I have taught several family members to drive stick on rentals over the years. good luck
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go get the Z and never look back. Take it easy at first and you'll pick up the basics in no time; it's really no rocket science. The learning curve will always be there, no matter what car you start out with. If you really want to learn, take it to the track, get a good instructor and ask lots of questions; you'll learn more in one track day than you will in months of driving a 'lesser' car as many here suggest.

I never had a manual car prior to the Z; spent couple of hours in my friend's Cobra getting a feel for the clutch before heading out for a 6 hour trip to pick up the Z. The rest is history. btw, I drove my friend's C6 recently and literally couldn't restrain myself from laughing; it's a night and day difference.

Do yourself a favor and ignore all the know-alls that tell you to start out in a lesser car, you will likely regret it unless (i) you have a lot of cash that you can burn through (ii) you don't think you can control your ego. The key is don't get cocky and overconfident with it because that's when it will bite.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bright1984
I say go get the Z and never look back. Take it easy at first and you'll pick up the basics in no time; it's really no rocket science. The learning curve will always be there, no matter what car you start out with. If you really want to learn, take it to the track, get a good instructor and ask lots of questions; you'll learn more in one track day than you will in months of driving a 'lesser' car as many here suggest.

I never had a manual car prior to the Z; spent couple of hours in my friend's Cobra getting a feel for the clutch before heading out for a 6 hour trip to pick up the Z. The rest is history. btw, I drove my friend's C6 recently and literally couldn't restrain myself from laughing; it's a night and day difference.

Do yourself a favor and ignore all the know-alls that tell you to start out in a lesser car, you will likely regret it unless (i) you have a lot of cash that you can burn through (ii) you don't think you can control your ego. The key is don't get cocky and overconfident with it because that's when it will bite.

Sage advice.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'm going to second what several here have stated... Start off with something a little less radical (and expensive). You can find some pretty nice C5's in the $20K range that will serve you for years to come.

As for not being able to drive a stick...The first manual transmission I drove was also the first manual transmission car I owned. I literly learned to drive a stick as I was leaving the car lot. That was 28 years ago now.. Dang I feel old. Anyway point is, if you have someone that can help you get the car home, you don't have to learn before you buy it. As long as you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you should be able to drive a stick without any issues.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Bud Meyer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z-06/Corvette

So this is my first post. I have been a loooonnnnggggg time lurker here. I really didn't even want to make an account, let along post until I actually OWNED a vette but that is kind of what my post is about. I am 22, I live in Tampa, FL (love it here), and I have been saving for a z06 for over a year now and plan to buy one early January. The plan the whole time has been to pay it off in one year after I purchase it. Financially speaking, as long as I find one in the low $40 range I should be a-ok. The problem is this: I don't know how to drive stick, I have never driven a car anywhere remotely close to the performance of a z06 (my DD is a '95 Bonneville...don't laugh), and I really don't know what to expect from the insurance company (my biggest concern, this is where money might...might be a problem). Can anyone weigh in who was in similar situation or who could give me some helpful advice about the problems listed and just how big a learning curve the Z06 will be given my inexperience? Just keep some things in mind: the C6 Z06 is my dream car, its not a matter of if I will overcome these issues, its a matter of how and when. You will see me posting pics in Jan...once I learn how to do that !

-Louis

EDIT 1: Wow so many great responses. I plan on absolutely learning stick before purchasing/driving the Z06. I just need a manual car to learn on. Might buy a beater as suggested, or ask around and see if some friends will let me learn on their cars. Not sure yet. As for insurance, I plan on shopping around this week to get the best deals and see what is out there. I have State Farm now, but I'm almost 100% sure I wont be staying with them >_> Well, off to work!! Ill be back on around 7pm. Keep the good advice coming!

EDIT 2: I am seeing that the general consensus so far is what I expected: the Z is an extremely capable car and it is better to learn and make my driving mistakes with a manual on a lesser car. That will happen soon in the coming days. As far as insurance goes, I'm thinking of insuring the Z06 as a recreational vehicle/pleasure car while keeping the Bonneville as my DD....Ive been told...never quoted..that it is much more affordable that way even though I'm under 25. Again, thank you all for the great advice. Ill keep this updated, especially come January!
Congrats on consideration of the Great American Sports Car. Personally I could not afford a Z-06 until I was 44. But if you can, thats great. Even at my age of 51 now I could not afford to have my 22 year old daughter with a clean record on my policy. I had to sign an exclusion stateing she would not be insured if she was behind the wheel of my 505HP car. Insurance may be a large consideration right now. There was one insurance carrier that would not even insure my car. They told me that they insure Corvette, just not the Z-06 or ZR-1 cars. As far as learning how to drive a manual trans car is really no big deal. Once you get the feel of feathering the clutch at take off...it comes natural, but controlling the power is another issue. My suggestion to you is take a class at either Bondurant or Spring Mountain Corvette School before you commit to a late model Zee. What ever you decide to do...I wish you the Best!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slolane
Ok, somebody you know a friend or reaitive must have a stick that they can teach you on right? It won't take to long to learn if you really want to. Like others have said The Z is a lot of car if you want it to be or as mild as a kitten its all in the go pedal.

I have seen this all to often tho with motorcycles and it never ends well 18 year old kids get their first job and the first thing they buy is the biggest baddest crotch rocket they can. Most of them have never been on a bike before and are dead within a week. Not saying that is you but it happens all the time.

Not trying to preach or be a downer but for those of us that have a Z we know the power and how easy it can get away. All it takes is having a couple friends around or taking one for a ride and you say hey watch this

Whatever you do just be careful out there and post pics when you get it.
Guess I should've been a statistic. I bought my first bike - ZX7R (750cc) - when I was 18; in spite of all the naysayers telling me I should be starting out on a much smaller bike. I took safety riding classes and kept my head on the street. As I got more comfortable/experienced with the bike, I increasingly felt more tempted to push the envelope. That's when I started tracking it, which I do to this day. Over the last 6 years I've personally witnessed many older guys jump on 600s and end up in the hospital because they got too confident and got in over their head.

Yes, the margin of error gets smaller as you continue up the performance spectrum, but I think it really comes down to one's mindset.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
ries
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
I don't have too much time to post here but I disagree with most thus far.

My thoughts are:

1. The Z is buy far 1 of the easiest clutch releases I've driven in my life (forgiving), so that would benefit a beginner tremendously.

2. Don't floor it and it's a pretty tame car to drive.

3. Buy the Z, take it easy on back roads and the shifting will become second nature in no time.

4. Be VERY responsible.

5,6,7,8. DON'T FLOOR IT!!!!

Good luck with your search, take it slow and be safe...
i completely agree
Old 10-14-2010, 11:06 PM
ries
Racer

hey op get what ever car you want!
the z is only dangerous if you drive it that way.
i learned to drive stick on a 70 gto. now that is a diff car to learn how to drive. i can't believe my dad let me, anyway i bought a zo6 after going to school for 30 yrs and i am still here. most of these people tell you to buy something else first because that is what they did. the zo6 is one of the easiest sticks to drive. just be careful when you push the pedal on the right. seriously you could learn to drive a stick in an afternoon on that car.
good luck that car is awesome and i miss it.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive over to Orlando on a Saturday afternoon and i will teach you how to drive a stick in an hour or 2 .

My 06 Z is the easiest stick car ive ever driven .

Its so smooth and managable compaired to others that if you learn in a c6Z , clutchs and shifters in other cars will anoy you ,, lol

Anything for a fellow TooL
Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zoomz
Drive over to Orlando on a Saturday afternoon and i will teach you how to drive a stick in an hour or 2 .

My 06 Z is the easiest stick car ive ever driven .

Its so smooth and managable compaired to others that if you learn in a c6Z , clutchs and shifters in other cars will anoy you ,, lol

Anything for a fellow TooL
Hey I sent you a PM. And yea Tool is an obsession of mine...much like Corvettes lol
Old 10-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Evented
Heel & Toe

OP, I am the same age as you and was in the exact same boat you were in only I went a different route with. Plus I have been driving standards since I obtained my license. I bought a house instead of the 09 C6Z I wanted and bought 2010 370z instead. If I were you I would just buy the Z06 and not settle for anything else because you have been saving up for it which is a lot more work than most people will give credit to. The only problem with jumping into a huge auto loan on a C6Z is, as another member stated earlier, a manual transmission may not be for you. Although if this is one of your dream cars I am sure you will deal with it and learn just fine. Also, the clutch in every C6 'Vette I have driven is a Godsend compared to say... my 370z. The clutch in my car is very hard to disengage and the re-engagement is very hard to learn to do smoothly, even if you have a lot of experience, because of how much force it pushing back. I think the C6Z is easy to drive compared to most manual cars. There will be times when you stall your car, it is inevitable and part of learning how the clutch works. And starting on steep inclines are a little troublesome as well but other than a few small problems you should be fine. Even the salesman stalled my Z when he first drove it to me and he was in his late 40's and claimed to have been driving standards all his life.

As for the larger problems, especially being in FL, the rain will not be fun learning to drive this car. When I first test drove the Z I was planning on buying the tires were wet after the wash and I accidently broke the tires loose in 2nd at roughly 2300rpms which was shocking to me because most cars do not have that much low end torque.

Just be responsible with the car. The faster the car, the faster you will get into trouble. A lot of the members on this site will disagree, but young people can be responsible with these super cars but it is a rare thing to see. I have personally seen and came upon many car accidents the one that will always come to mind instantly involved an 03-06 generation Dodge Viper and a K-Rail. I got out to help the guy in the driver seat and the first thing he said after I asked him if he needed medical attention was "Oh man, my dad is going to kill me."
Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evented
OP, I am the same age as you and was in the exact same boat you were in only I went a different route with. Plus I have been driving standards since I obtained my license. I bought a house instead of the 09 C6Z I wanted and bought 2010 370z instead. If I were you I would just buy the Z06 and not settle for anything else because you have been saving up for it which is a lot more work than most people will give credit to. The only problem with jumping into a huge auto loan on a C6Z is, as another member stated earlier, a manual transmission may not be for you. Although if this is one of your dream cars I am sure you will deal with it and learn just fine. Also, the clutch in every C6 'Vette I have driven is a Godsend compared to say... my 370z. The clutch in my car is very hard to disengage and the re-engagement is very hard to learn to do smoothly, even if you have a lot of experience, because of how much force it pushing back. I think the C6Z is easy to drive compared to most manual cars. There will be times when you stall your car, it is inevitable and part of learning how the clutch works. And starting on steep inclines are a little troublesome as well but other than a few small problems you should be fine. Even the salesman stalled my Z when he first drove it to me and he was in his late 40's and claimed to have been driving standards all his life.

As for the larger problems, especially being in FL, the rain will not be fun learning to drive this car. When I first test drove the Z I was planning on buying the tires were wet after the wash and I accidently broke the tires loose in 2nd at roughly 2300rpms which was shocking to me because most cars do not have that much low end torque.

Just be responsible with the car. The faster the car, the faster you will get into trouble. A lot of the members on this site will disagree, but young people can be responsible with these super cars but it is a rare thing to see. I have personally seen and came upon many car accidents the one that will always come to mind instantly involved an 03-06 generation Dodge Viper and a K-Rail. I got out to help the guy in the driver seat and the first thing he said after I asked him if he needed medical attention was "Oh man, my dad is going to kill me."

I drove several 370's and the clutch was soft as syrup. No effort pressing in, no effort on it's part pressing back, and an engaugement point that you never could truly discern. I didn't like it, but it sure wasn't a "forceful" clutch to use. Quite the opposite.

Is the Z06's clutch even weaker feeling? Does it have a solid engaugement point and provide enough force for me to press it and know I am pressing it? I like to know I'm pushing on something.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about owning a vett! First post!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 AM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Z06's are cake to drive. They have a lot of torque and a really forgiving clutch which makes for an easy drive. It would take you a total of about 20 minutes to learn how to drive it if you have any coordination at all. I wouldn't sweat buying one as your first stick shift. As others have said, just don't be an idiot. It's a pussycat of a car unless you ask it not to be.

As for insurance, I wouldn't worry about that either unless you have a bad record. I am 25 with a perfect record, and the z06 quotes are much less than my Evo I just sold. My Z should be delivered next week, so I'll let you know exactly what the insurance costs are when I get it.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just how big a learning curve the Z06 will be given my inexperience? Just keep some things in mind: the C6 Z06 is my dream car, its not a matter of if I will overcome these issues, its a matter of how and when. You will see me posting pics in Jan...once I learn how to do that !

-Louis
Let me put it this way. I went from a C6 to a Z06 and it scared the crap out of me until I got used to it. I bought the Z because I like to autox.

Also, not being able to drive a manual is a problem.

The Z was designed for guys who wanted to track on the weekends. To buy one and cruise around town is like using a cannon as a pea shooter.

Have you driven a C6? 400hp is a lot of power. Have you considered a C6 with an auto tranny. Maybe a vert? If you're not going to race then the Z is big time overkill.

Last edited by goatts; 10-16-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by goatts
Let me put it this way. I went from a C6 to a Z06 and it scared the crap out of me until I got used to it. I bought the Z because I like to autox.

Also, not being able to drive a manual is a problem.

The Z was designed for guys who wanted to track on the weekends. To buy one and cruise around town is like using a cannon as a pea shooter.

Have you driven a C6? 400hp is a lot of power. Have you considered a C6 with an auto tranny. Maybe a vert? If you're not going to race then the Z is big time overkill.
Thank you for the insight. I can say that a vert is out of the question. If I do get a C6 coupe by some random chance, it will most certainly be a manual anyways because this is not going to be my daily driver. And while it wont happen anytime soon, I do plan to take this car to the track on the weekends when I and good and ready. I know what I want...a Z06. Id buy a ZR1 if I had the cash.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Questions about owning a vett! First post!