Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch/Shifter/Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM
FastZ06Eh?
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch/Shifter/Transmission Problem?

I did a track day last Friday and had a problem shifting. My 2006 Z has about 14,000 miles, and has done maybe 6 track days. I'm not a drag racer, it has no hard drag style clutch dumping takeoffs, but I do routinely shift between 6 - 7,000 rpm on the road course. I've had no problems until now. I always change clutch fluid (Ranger method) before and after each track day. Before the last day, I did the procedure 12 or 13 times, the last two the fluid was clear. I ran about 50 miles on the track (not continuous, I took several breaks), the problem started about 35 miles in. Shifting near redline, the shifter seemed to bind up and I'd miss the shift. It would shift reliably below 6,000 rpm, not above. Opinions please, is this a fluid, master/slave cylinder, shifter, or transmission problem?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I also have a 2006 Z06 and I was at Laguna Seca this last Thursday and had a similar problem. I mainly had a problem up-shifting it into 3rd gear. I missed 3rd several times during a race - not good. It was very dificult to get it in gear. I'm thinking that the temps might have affected the shifter linkage. After everything was much cooler on the way home I had no issues shifting.

John

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch/Shifter/Transmission Problem?