Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A philosophical question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default A philosophical question

The Z06, as it comes from the factory, is an obscenely fast car, able to humiliate 95% of the cars sold today. Tons of power.

Yet, many buyers feel compelled to add MORE POWER. As a guy who has tracked Zs on road courses, I can understand some brake, susp and cooling mods, seats and harnesses, etc., but the one thing these cars have in spades off the showroom floor is power.

So, the question is: Why, on a car that is already powerful to a fault, do so many owners modify them with power-adders of one kind or another? I am not being critical of those who so mod, but do want to see what people think. Another way to look at this would be if you bought a Honda, you can understand why you'd want more power; but a Z comes muscled-up from Chevy.

So, what do you think?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Because more is better?

If I had a Veyron I'd be looking for a set of headers
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horsepower is a disease. I learned this many years ago.

A stock Z is cool, but a faster Z is cooler
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Legend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More is always better!

I am buying a z for the very reason you posted about...I've had many cars in the past and modded everyone of them...I want to see if this car, in stock form...satisfies my desires for hp!

I hope so...my wife will kill me if not!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

Because it's only fast the first time :-)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

"When you can come out of a corner onto the longest straight of the track and lay black streaks until you need to brake for the next corner, that's when you have enough horsepower."

- Mark Donahue

"Too much power is just about right."

Z//
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
C6Brain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you- I only upgraded brakes, tires, seats and harnesses for the track. I also learned the hard way, after supercharging my previous C6 Z51, that I am not smart enough to out-engineer the engineers. The Z06 is a great car right out of the box.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

To be able to humiliate 99.9% of the cars sold today.

I choose not to do any engine mods. I need my warranty in effect. So I just live vicariously through those that do.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

seems like a pretty decent car
Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM
redZ06bri
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

There are those that are addicted to more horsepower, luckily I'm not one of them. Nothing wrong with it either, if that is what you love, enjoy it to its fullest.

I am addicted to going fast however, and 505 hp is enough to provide the opportunity for plenty of trouble. Bring it to the track when you can, that is the place to explore the limits of these cars. After 6 years of road course driving, I still haven't figured out how to put down 350 hp in the most effective and consistent manner, forget about 505 hp. Ironically, I find myself driving the C6Z06 a lot more calmly and slowly on the road than I ever did with my C5 Coupe. Part of it is I don't feel I have anything to prove anymore, and part of it is just getting older and perhaps a tad bit wiser. Don't get me wrong though, I have moments of regression now and then, but its progress, not perfection that I'm aiming for.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redZ06bri
There are those that are addicted to more horsepower, luckily I'm not one of them. Nothing wrong with it either, if that is what you love, enjoy it to its fullest.

I am addicted to going fast however, and 505 hp is enough to provide the opportunity for plenty of trouble. Bring it to the track when you can, that is the place to explore the limits of these cars. After 6 years of road course driving, I still haven't figured out how to put down 350 hp in the most effective and consistent manner, forget about 505 hp. Ironically, I find myself driving the C6Z06 a lot more calmly and slowly on the road than I ever did with my C5 Coupe. Part of it is I don't feel I have anything to prove anymore, and part of it is just getting older and perhaps a tad bit wiser. Don't get me wrong though, I have moments of regression now and then, but its progress, not perfection that I'm aiming for.
very good observations, I find Z06 actually very civilized and easy to drive, easier than my C5 or C6 I gave up for Z06. This car just seems to breeze through the air
Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
08msmZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JGarland
To be able to humiliate 99.9% of the cars sold today.

I choose not to do any engine mods. I need my warranty in effect. So I just live vicariously through those that do.
It already humiliates 99.9% of all cars on the road right off the showroom floor.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree with what you have said.

I just left a 06/A6/Z51 APS Twin-Turbo for a 09 Z06. I liked the 06 and it had more power than the Z but the Z overall is just an amazing car. I can't wait until I get it to VIR and run some laps.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
redZ06bri
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by petermj
very good observations, I find Z06 actually very civilized and easy to drive, easier than my C5 or C6 I gave up for Z06. This car just seems to breeze through the air
It almost seems to be that the C5 had a more rough, beastly nature and the the C6Z06 is so much more refined, you just feel more relaxed. I think the other part of this paradox is that with the C5, you can put the accelerator to the floor and hold it there for a significant amount of time while it starts pulling and pulling. With the C6Z06, just a few seconds of WOT and it starts getting criminally insane for street driving, so you just say, "why bother".

I still do look for long, unoccupied exit ramps that allow relatively safe enjoyment of the Zs power, but that's about the only place. I never learned how to launch quick off a red light with a manual, so I don't both. Plus, I just hate to replace clutchs !
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Because more is better?

If I had a Veyron I'd be looking for a set of headers
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

It almost seems to be that the C5 had a more rough, beastly nature and the the C6Z06 is so much more refined, you just feel more relaxed. I think the other part of this paradox is that with the C5, you can put the accelerator to the floor and hold it there for a significant amount of time while it starts pulling and pulling. With the C6Z06, just a few seconds of WOT and it starts getting criminally insane for street driving, so you just say, "why bother".

I still do look for long, unoccupied exit ramps that allow relatively safe enjoyment of the Zs power, but that's about the only place. I never learned how to launch quick off a red light with a manual, so I don't both. Plus, I just hate to replace clutchs !
agreed about C5 vs Z... I guess the car and the powertrain are so well balanced and there is so much power on tap that driving Z06 turns into addiction. Very very good car all around
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Everyone has different goals and a different perspective on how a car should perform. I have driven my C5Z on a road course and had a great time. (actually more than drag racing) However, this can become addicting and quite expensive. My goals and perspective are from a drag racer's point of view. We have been in the 10s with only DRs but saw where GM dropped the ball. The stock clutch is abominable and the stock tune does not extract every bit of potential from such a great platform. With minor mods, these cars go from great to outstanding. To each their own from waxer to dyno queens to racers to sunday drivers.

Get notified of new replies

To A philosophical question

Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 08msmZ06
It already humiliates 99.9% of all cars on the road right off the showroom floor.
But wretchedly obscene power is not near enough!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My desire and addiction to make cars faster comes from my dad and i blame him for it ! ! !

Im addicted to the rush of nitrous acceleration and the compitition of racing .

Thats why , when i get tired of my stock Z's acceleration , i will mod it , like my last car and all the cars before it.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Given what you said about the Z06's power why do people buy ZR1s? Hint: It's one reason some people always want more power. Answer: Status.

Reason two: Faster on the track.

Reason three: Faster doing very stupid things like street racing.

Reason four: Enjoy modding for it's own sake.

Reason five: Love the sound of a dyno test.

Reason six: Can't afford a private jet.

People performance mod all models of C6. Some are even talking about mods on the king of all time....the ZR1. Of any vette that ever was to keep stock that one is IT in my opinion.

Roughly speaking I think at least half of those seeking more power than stock want it for racing on the street. Most people should wise up that this is ultra dangerous and proves nothing but stupidity by age 18 or 19 at the oldest. But...some don't get it.

Sorry if you're a street racer and this aggravates you. I don't care.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A philosophical question