Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)

I had a great time with the ZR1 and I may even get another one in a couple years. I have had my eye on the 2010 Vooodoo ACR since it was first announced and I have recently decided to make the switch. My ZR1 is stock but I'm getting the ACR modded so it'll come with headers, corsa catback, 3.55 gear, os giken differential, mgw short throw shifter, and a few other goodies. I'm a big fan of American supercars and I want to experience them all (ZR1, Viper, Ford GT).

Pics of a Vooodoo but this isn't the exact car I purchased. I may get the fog lights installed on mine.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:07 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

very cool.
how many miles (street/track) did you put on the ZR1?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 AM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

I love the ZR1, but If you can do it and it's in your interests to get rid of the ZR1 and replace it with another icon American supercar, by all means do it & congratulations! Report back your driving experience and perception of the Voodoo.

- Bryan
Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
very cool.
how many miles (street/track) did you put on the ZR1?
Put almost 4K miles on the ZR1. Never took it to a track.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Very nice!!!

Congrats on the Viper...
Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
z06joe
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Damn shame you can't keep both.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM
frc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck. Have you drove the Viper? To each and his own. I own a Z06 and a Viper coupe and would't give up my Z for 5 vipers.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 AM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's different from the voodoo acr and regular acr(haha acr is far from regular)?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really cool car, and a monster no doubt. Gotta love the dive planes on front fascia. The thing clearly means business.

Please come back and give us a comparison of the two cars after you've had the Viper for a while.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Man, that viper is sick looking. If yours looks anything like this one Good Choice
Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bgreen83
What's different from the voodoo acr and regular acr(haha acr is far from regular)?
There's no difference other than the Vooodoo being one of the Limited Editions for 2010. I think there is only going to be 19 in the States.

Originally Posted by JDRacing
Really cool car, and a monster no doubt. Gotta love the dive planes on front fascia. The thing clearly means business.

Please come back and give us a comparison of the two cars after you've had the Viper for a while.
Will do.

Originally Posted by Epic_C6
Man, that viper is sick looking. If yours looks anything like this one Good Choice
Thanks. Yes, mine will look exactly like those pics (except mine will be slightly lowered).
Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well 4-SHO I owned a viper (2004) and I have to say IMHO the viper really came off a distant 2ND (to the Z06). I loved the looks of the viper and especially the one you are getting--and I dare say that your grandmother would know it is a viper. But as I used to tell my friends that in order to drive the viper I would put on my boots, gloves, coveralls and goggles and crank up the air (the viper gets uncomfortably hot and the air is marginal). In other words the viper was a beast to drive and I could not make it a daily driver. On the viper forum the most common mistake made was people buying a viper as a daily driver. Most sold them within months. (I don't know how you plan to drive yours) Again, to each his own and I REALLY respect that. I would be interested on you reporting to us what you thinK. By the way, why all the mods?
I am kind of like you, I want(ed) to experience them all. Right now we live in great car times.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 PM
ZOsixTT
Instructor

I have an 08 ACR and recently test drove an ZR1. The ZR1 is much better for daily driving, more comfortable for big people (im 6'3"). When you walk up and get in a ACR you really feel like your getting in a race car. It has much more of a raw feeling to it which is really cool as long as its not your dd. But for long drives the ACR can really beat you up. The side sills can burn your leg when getting out. I heard the gen 3 vipers had bad AC, mine has been pretty good so far. I would love to add a ZR1 to my garage someday, and a ford GT.

My assessment,
drag racing - ZR1
Track or mountain roads - ACR
Daily driving - ZR1
Weekend driving - ACR
Looks - ACR
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM
BishopTx
Instructor

I am also a ZR1, Z06 and Viper SRT-10 owner (not ACR). Now I do live by the creed that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it, so this next part is by no means a criticism of your choice or car, simply my thoughts and my experience with a similar car.

Viper SRT10 = worst car (for the money) I've ever driven and the biggest mistake I ever made in buying one. Granted never been in an ACR but there has to be some compare to the normal one..The SRT-10 is too stiff, too unruly, feels a lot faster than it actually is, torque steers like crazy and is completely unforgiving. The car is horrible at giving feedback and its near impossible to tell where the limit it..I hope you are a super driver.

On the track its better (still not near as predictable as the Vettes), but as a road car, oh my I dont like it at all. And if the Vette gets a bad wrap for horrible interiors, well take one look at the Viper and the Vettes looks like an Aston Martin. There's a lot of cheapness IMO in the SRT-10.

And this ACR, again just a mild manner man's opinion, is a bit gaudy for me. Looks like the guy who designed it couldn't stop desiging it. Very busy.

To each his own, but for my money the Vette's get driven and the Viper gets sold - to the next poor sap who buys it.

Is Fiat (sorry couldn't resist) I mean Dodge continuing to make the ACR or is it like the rest of the Viper line in being discontinued?

Now the Ford GT - now there's a car. ZR1 and GT, can't go wrong there. Viper to me is the inbred family member of the American supercars - and I can say that cause I am one.

Last edited by BishopTx; 08-13-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kelly100
Well 4-SHO I owned a viper (2004) and I have to say IMHO the viper really came off a distant 2ND (to the Z06). I loved the looks of the viper and especially the one you are getting--and I dare say that your grandmother would know it is a viper. But as I used to tell my friends that in order to drive the viper I would put on my boots, gloves, coveralls and goggles and crank up the air (the viper gets uncomfortably hot and the air is marginal). In other words the viper was a beast to drive and I could not make it a daily driver. On the viper forum the most common mistake made was people buying a viper as a daily driver. Most sold them within months. (I don't know how you plan to drive yours) Again, to each his own and I REALLY respect that. I would be interested on you reporting to us what you thinK. By the way, why all the mods?
I am kind of like you, I want(ed) to experience them all. Right now we live in great car times.
Great car times indeed. I have no intentions of using the ACR as a DD... I wouldn't use the ZR1 as a DD either. I prefer to use cheaper cars that I don't have to worry about getting dinged up in parking lots as DDs.

Originally Posted by ZOsixTT
I have an 08 ACR and recently test drove an ZR1. The ZR1 is much better for daily driving, more comfortable for big people (im 6'3"). When you walk up and get in a ACR you really feel like your getting in a race car. It has much more of a raw feeling to it which is really cool as long as its not your dd. But for long drives the ACR can really beat you up. The side sills can burn your leg when getting out. I heard the gen 3 vipers had bad AC, mine has been pretty good so far. I would love to add a ZR1 to my garage someday, and a ford GT.

My assessment,
drag racing - ZR1
Track or mountain roads - ACR
Daily driving - ZR1
Weekend driving - ACR
Looks - ACR
I'm about 6'2"... did you install the 1" seat lowering kit? I think I'll enjoy the more raw feeling of the Viper. According to your assessment the ACR would definitely be the car for me. Plan on using it on mountain roads and the track on the weekends. I also like the looks of the ACR and the fact that there's no 40K model that looks exactly like it on every street corner.

Originally Posted by BishopTx
I am also a ZR1, Z06 and Viper SRT-10 owner (not ACR). Now I do live by the creed that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it, so this next part is by no means a criticism of your choice or car, simply my thoughts and my experience with a similar car.

Viper SRT10 = worst car (for the money) I've ever driven and the biggest mistake I ever made in buying one. Granted never been in an ACR but there has to be some compare to the normal one..The SRT-10 is too stiff, too unruly, feels a lot faster than it actually is, torque steers like crazy and is completely unforgiving. The car is horrible at giving feedback and its near impossible to tell where the limit it..I hope you are a super driver.

On the track its better (still not near as predictable as the Vettes), but as a road car, oh my I dont like it at all. And if the Vette gets a bad wrap for horrible interiors, well take one look at the Viper and the Vettes looks like an Aston Martin. There's a lot of cheapness IMO in the SRT-10.

And this ACR, again just a mild manner man's opinion, is a bit gaudy for me. Looks like the guy who designed it couldn't stop desiging it. Very busy.

To each his own, but for my money the Vette's get driven and the Viper gets sold - to the next poor sap who buys it.

Is Fiat (sorry couldn't resist) I mean Dodge continuing to make the ACR or is it like the rest of the Viper line in being discontinued?

Now the Ford GT - now there's a car. ZR1 and GT, can't go wrong there. Viper to me is the inbred family member of the American supercars - and I can say that cause I am one.

The ZR1 is probably the better car for you.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

I have all 3, the Ford GT, ZR1 and ACR and I would say on a race track the Viper ACR is a great car that does what it is supposed to do. On the steet though I don't care for the ACR as it is hot and cramped with a terrible sound system and an even worse interior, its rough riding and the tires throw all kinds of rocks that just eat up the paint around the wheel wells and is just not that enjoyable of a car anywhere except on a racetrack IMO. The ACR looks great but really isn't a street car and on the street it really isn't a comparison to the ZR1 in any way IMO. The best all around car for the money to me is the Ford GT hands down!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

I think it's great to have so many reviews from guys who have had or currently own vipers. I've thought seriously about buying an ACR but have
always opted for something else because of the above type comments. I'm going on my 2nd C6ZR1 (it's on order and I sold my '09 for 95k a few weeks ago). I wanted a new color and launch control.

I think the ACR looks absolutely great and would look great in my garage too! I just think everyone would say "I told you so" if I bought one and didn't love it. Best of luck with it though!

Get notified of new replies

To Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)

Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate all the comments in this thread... even the ones that are negative. There are pros & cons for both the ZR1 and the ACR. I am sure the ZR1 is a better all around street car! That being said, most of my background consists of roadracing sportbikes and at 30 years old I still like to race bikes. I think I'm young enough to deal with tighter suspension and more supportive seats in the ACR.

Even if it turns out that I don't really like the ACR very much and I wish I had kept my ZR1 I'll probably be able to switch back without taking too much of a loss. GM dealers are hell bent on ordering new ones and GM is content with building them even though they're not selling... by this time next year there will probably be a "Buy one ZR1 Half Off and get one FREE sale!"

Last edited by 4-Sho; 08-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 AM
laron
Pro

I have a gen3 viper...pretty easy to drive compared the the 2004 vette I had...Now my gen2 Viper was a very hard car to daily drive..As far as the interior I just dont get peoples opinions sometimes..

I had that vette and have been in many C6's and Z06 as well and what in the world is better about the vette interior than an srt10 interior???

They both look cheap to me...Especially compared to my nsx interior wich is ALL eal leather/suede and not the fake stuff that they make look real in the vette/viper..

HOWEVER

You can tell the viper interior isnt really trying to fake anything. they give you the bare essentials that you need and thats it. It's vert small and seems to be desighned around raceing.

The vette seems like a grand tourer inside by comparison..

The thing is that I bought my viper because I wanted that race car like experiance....With the tight simple cockpit..

Not saying the vette isnt a great car..But I just dont get the interior complaints of the Viper..That 220 mph tach is enough to keep me happy
Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your going to enjoy the ACR. Also keep in mind that the new 2010 cars have the new revised 5th gear..

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)