Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Put almost 4K miles on the ZR1. Never took it to a track.
Wow - 4k miles. you wore that zr1 out. I wonder if the voodoo will make it all the way to 4k miles

I wonder if there was a witch doctor on the assembly line to give it a voodoo blessing.

All kidding aside, thats a good plan to try to experience as many of these things as possible.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 08-14-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 PM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

I also own a Ford GT (w/ Whipple SC and 720RWHP) and a Viper ACR after owning a Z06 so please allow me to throw in my $.02... When I first got the ACR about 1 1/2 years ago, I didn't like the ride as it was too bouncy and no matter what I do with the shock settings, I couldn't get the ride dialed in. The car was by far the bounciest cars I've own in recent memory and that included hard riding cars such as '06 Lotus Elise w/ Sport Suspension, '04 Porsche GT3, '04 Ferrari Challenge Stradale, '08 Porsche Turbo, and the Vette and FGT. So I swapped out the 1083# rear springs with 800# Hypercoils, switched the shocks from KW V3 to Moton Clubsport and that tamed the bouncy ride a little but it was still not to my liking. Then I did another mod and it totally transformed the car - car is now not bouncy at all, the ride is now smoother than my '04 GT3, about the same as the Ferrari, a little rougher than the '08 Turbo and '06 FGT. I tracked a little and by no mean an expert driver but I find the ACR very forgiving at the limits and at least for me, the car is easier to correct in mid turn than the Z06 or GT3. I love the torque of the V10 (have Mopar ECU and headers and 3.55 gears) is amazing and a really exciting car to car. Sometimes I drive with the center section of the front splitter attached and find the car to have better clearance than the Porsches. So many say the ACR is for track only but if you handle the attention it gets, you can definitely drive it daily. I drive the car to work in downtown Los Angeles traffic once or twice a week and have no issues whatsoever.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laron
I have a gen3 viper...pretty easy to drive compared the the 2004 vette I had...Now my gen2 Viper was a very hard car to daily drive..As far as the interior I just dont get peoples opinions sometimes..

I had that vette and have been in many C6's and Z06 as well and what in the world is better about the vette interior than an srt10 interior???

They both look cheap to me...Especially compared to my nsx interior wich is ALL eal leather/suede and not the fake stuff that they make look real in the vette/viper..

HOWEVER

You can tell the viper interior isnt really trying to fake anything. they give you the bare essentials that you need and thats it. It's vert small and seems to be desighned around raceing.

The vette seems like a grand tourer inside by comparison..

The thing is that I bought my viper because I wanted that race car like experiance....With the tight simple cockpit..

Not saying the vette isnt a great car..But I just dont get the interior complaints of the Viper..That 220 mph tach is enough to keep me happy
I agree with you. One thing I (IMHO) can say is that viper has stayed with its original concept/mission. You should hear the viper people yell and complain when they consider(ed) stability control or any of the other conveniences that a lot of us take for granted. The hard core viperers don't want them. Again I am going to be interested in 4SHO sharing his opinions once he has driven the viper for a while. I still wish BM had badged the ZR1 with just a little (and I mean little) more flare. For me the ZR is the right car at the right time--even for an old fart with fading eye sight, reflexes, bad back, limp d--k etc
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BruZe06
I also own a Ford GT (w/ Whipple SC and 720RWHP) and a Viper ACR after owning a Z06 so please allow me to throw in my $.02... When I first got the ACR about 1 1/2 years ago, I didn't like the ride as it was too bouncy and no matter what I do with the shock settings, I couldn't get the ride dialed in. The car was by far the bounciest cars I've own in recent memory and that included hard riding cars such as '06 Lotus Elise w/ Sport Suspension, '04 Porsche GT3, '04 Ferrari Challenge Stradale, '08 Porsche Turbo, and the Vette and FGT. So I swapped out the 1083# rear springs with 800# Hypercoils, switched the shocks from KW V3 to Moton Clubsport and that tamed the bouncy ride a little but it was still not to my liking. Then I did another mod and it totally transformed the car - car is now not bouncy at all, the ride is now smoother than my '04 GT3, about the same as the Ferrari, a little rougher than the '08 Turbo and '06 FGT. I tracked a little and by no mean an expert driver but I find the ACR very forgiving at the limits and at least for me, the car is easier to correct in mid turn than the Z06 or GT3. I love the torque of the V10 (have Mopar ECU and headers and 3.55 gears) is amazing and a really exciting car to car. Sometimes I drive with the center section of the front splitter attached and find the car to have better clearance than the Porsches. So many say the ACR is for track only but if you handle the attention it gets, you can definitely drive it daily. I drive the car to work in downtown Los Angeles traffic once or twice a week and have no issues whatsoever.
What was the last mod you did that softened up the ride? I know that many SRT-10 owners really like the Motons however I was unsure about using them on an ACR. The KWs on the ACR have been tuned to handle the downforce the ACR generates. Did you need to tune/stiffen the Motons to cope with the downforce?

The sidewalls on Pilot Sport Cups are much stiffer than PS2s so you probably could have softened the ride up a bit by just changing the rubber.

Last edited by 4-Sho; 08-14-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

What was the last mod you did that softened up the ride? I know that many SRT-10 owners really like the Motons however I was unsure about using them on an ACR. The KWs on the ACR have been tuned to handle the downforce the ACR generates. Did you need to tune/stiffen the Motons to cope with the downforce?

The sidewalls on Pilot Sport Cups are much stiffer than PS2s so you probably could have softened the ride up a bit by just changing the rubber.
Sorry I was in a hurry to finish up my last post and didn't finish saying what the last mod was, believe it or not, it was swapping the seat out to a racing seat.

As to the Motons, I just feel they have better compression damping than the KW V3, and since I try not to go on tracks that are faster than 170 MPH, I don't think I'd run into downforce issues.

Last edited by BruZe06; 08-15-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

keep the ZR1, that viper is ugly, looks like a 18 y/o blinged it out
Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 PM
laron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha ha ha...exhibit edition viper yo
Old 08-15-2010, 01:44 PM
BishopTx
Instructor

is the ACR still going to be produced?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BishopTx
is the ACR still going to be produced?
Nope. 2010 is the last year for all Gen 4 Vipers. There might be a Gen 5 in 2012.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

The Voo Doo ACR is a cool car, good luck with it.

Last edited by Dicecal; 08-26-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dicecal
The Voo Doo ACR is a cool car, good luck with it. I may be looking to trade my newly purchased ZR1, since the deal has gone way bad. I may finally be done with Chevrolet myself!
Sorry to hear about your ZR1 deal going sour. Did you purchase from a Phoenix dealer? When I was ZR1 shopping back in April/May I couldn't get any Phoenix dealers to come down from MSRP. I had to go buy from an out-of-state dealer to get a good deal.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:46 PM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie furman
I have all 3, the Ford GT, ZR1
Nice toys
Old 08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear about your ZR1 deal going sour. Did you purchase from a Phoenix dealer? When I was ZR1 shopping back in April/May I couldn't get any Phoenix dealers to come down from MSRP. I had to go buy from an out-of-state dealer to get a good deal.
I'm chomping at the bit to tell my story, however I'm waiting to see if Chevrolet is going to do the right thing.

Last edited by Dicecal; 08-21-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow, not often do we see a thread with so much good information from people who have owned all the cars!!!

While I've driven a number of Vipers, I have nowhere near the experience to offer this sort of insight on the Viper versus the Vettes. Great Thread.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

I'm chomping at the bit to tell my story, however I'm waiting to see if Chevrolet is going to do the right thing. The car is sitting in my garage, but it has know issues that were not disclosed to me prior to purchase. I bought the car from Wes at Reliable.
Please elaborate as I am moments away from making a purchase from them
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rob62
I still hopeful my situation can be resolved to my satisfaction, so I cannot comment on any details at this time.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM
ZOsixTT
Instructor

[QUOTE=4-Sho;1575004682]Great car times indeed. I have no intentions of using the ACR as a DD... I wouldn't use the ZR1 as a DD either. I prefer to use cheaper cars that I don't have to worry about getting dinged up in parking lots as DDs.

I'm about 6'2"... did you install the 1" seat lowering kit? I think I'll enjoy the more raw feeling of the Viper. According to your assessment the ACR would definitely be the car for me. Plan on using it on mountain roads and the track on the weekends. I also like the looks of the ACR and the fact that there's no 40K model that looks exactly like it on every street corner.

I didnt install it, I asked my tech about the 1 and 2 inch kit, he said they are not tested and could break loose during a collision. There is plently of head room in the viper, the only issue is the low window line prevents you from seeing a street light if you are one of the 1st few cars, unless you lower your head.

Are you in phoenix also?

Get notified of new replies

To Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)

Old 08-17-2010, 02:25 PM
rob62
Safety Car

I still hopeful my situation can be resolved to my satisfaction, so I cannot comment on any details at this time.
o.k. Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rob62
Don't tease come give us some details. I would love to hear at least some of the issues. Were they with the ZR1 itself or mainly with the dealer? Over the years I have had many issues with GM (how about the oil burning Z06s for example), but had to take a chance and come back for the ZR1
Old 08-17-2010, 03:57 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kelly100
Don't tease come give us some details. I would love to hear at least some of the issues. Were they with the ZR1 itself or mainly with the dealer? Over the years I have had many issues with GM (how about the oil burning Z06s for example), but had to take a chance and come back for the ZR1
HA,just a side note;I have one of those so called"oil burners".I would put 1,possibly 1and a half quarts extra in between oil changes.To me -not a big deal.Doesent get drivin much now that I have 2 new vettes so I dont have to do that anymore.Love that car!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Trading my ZR1 for Viper ACR (Vooodoo Edition)