Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Wheel protectant review

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
mercruiser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel protectant review

I know that this has been discussed on here lately, but I'd like to tell you guys about my experience with the new Armor All wheel protectant, and hopefully warn you guys about some potential problems.
I just had my new Nittos mounted on my HRE P47s. Took them to the tire store and while I waited, I went down to the nearest Target to pick up the new product from Armor All. I read all the good reviews here, and figured that it would be a good time to treat the wheels since they were new. Got home, sprayed them down and noticed that they turned my satin black to gloss black, but figured that it would be OK after they dried. I checked them about 1/2 hour later and my wheels were back to satin, but there was a rainbow effect in the color even though they were dry. The weights had slid off of two wheels with no signs of where they used to be. So...Now I have to buff all the protectant off, and go back to the tire store to have two tires balanced again. I guess the stuff seeped under the weights and caused the glue to let go.
Just be careful with this stuff and check your stick on weights if you use it. I won't be using it for any powder coated wheels either.
By the way, I really like the HREs.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

I've been using the Armor All protectant on my stock polished wheels with fantastic results. No stains, and no brake dust. It's been on a month and still working.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:34 AM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

works great..
Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Just sprayed some on tonight. Waiting to see how well it works tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

I have used Armor all with great success...No problems with wheels weights coming off...If your wheel weights slid off, might be the type of weight they are using?, the backing ashesive on the weight to make them stick?...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

My application of the Armor All Wheel Protectant has been on for OVER 4 weeks and my chrome wheels show almost no brake dust. So in that regard the product works as advertised - maybe better.

As far as it causing the stick on weights coming off, all my weights are still intact. So I go back to my original point, Armor All Wheel Protectant works as claimed with no side affects.

I wonder if your weights were improperly installed or defective?

Tom
Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,115 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
My application of the Armor All Wheel Protectant has been on for OVER 4 weeks and my chrome wheels show almost no brake dust. So in that regard the product works as advertised - maybe better.

As far as it causing the stick on weights coming off, all my weights are still intact. So I go back to my original point, Armor All Wheel Protectant works as claimed with no side affects.

I wonder if your weights were improperly installed or defective?

Tom
I just tried the stuff for the first time last Sat on the Z. Dried with no color shifts to the silver wheels or tires. Normally the wheel weights have incredibly strong adhesive backings. I have always had the devil using adhesive remover and goo gone getting the old stuff off after having new tires mounted and balanced. I have a really difficult time believing that Armorall Protectant has a solvent in it strong enough to loose wheel weights.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
CrashTest
Advanced

I was a skeptic despite positive reviews from others. After 250 miles with it on my wheels, a white-glove-test showed absolutely NO dust. Zero, nip, nada.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Count me as another believer. And like others, I think the weights coming off might have been for other reasons. I think almost all of us have stick on weights on our wheels. I've even used it on my motorcycle wheels with great results, and they have stick on weights also.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

I just got a can of this stuff....one question when spraying it on the wheel is it okay to get the stuff on the rotors?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
mercruiser
Burning Brakes

It could have been because the weights were new and hadn't bonded to the wheel fully, but they did slide off, and one was hanging on by a corner and wouldn't stick again. At any rate, the spray didn't work for black powder coated wheels. I'd like to hear from someone else that tried it on theirs.
I don't think it will hurt the rotors, as all of the spray would be wiped off by the pads when the brakes are applied.
I used it on my calipers and it seemed to work fine. No rainbow effect on them.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I;ve used it twice in 4 weeks, I had washed the car in that time so had to re-apply it.

My review, it works pretty good, and it does reduce brake dust, however it does not eliminate it. I am not sure how some people are posting they have "no" break dust after XXX miles... I applied the product as directed on my polished wheels and while it did help reduce it, if I take my finger to the wheel there is still dust there.

Not to say it does not work, but to what degree a I guess is what will differ from car to car.

I am going to order Carbotech pads and be done with all the nonsense of having to apply this every few weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel protectant review

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wheel protectant review