Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LOUD ticking at 1,500 to 2,000 rpms... What's the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokerDon
FYI, I'm still waiting for my replacement roof to arrive to take it in... Been a week already since it was ordered so it should be coming in the next few days.

In the meantime I get to hear this clatter from my LS7...

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

I guess I have the right to be TICKED off!
I don't care if it ticks, so long as it flees. (or, fleas)
Old 09-12-2016, 07:42 PM
CameronS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, another time traveler here. I'm a brand new member on the forum, but I've spent hours reading through Corvette threads. Thanks to all of you for the insightful posts.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one.

I recently bought my 2006 Corvette Z06 used, with 29,000 miles. She's a beast, and I love her more than anything.

However, I think she has the same engine ticking sound many of you are describing, and it seems to be getting worse over time. It's almost a fluttering-type noise that increases with RPMs. It's most noticeable between the 1,500-2,000 RPM range, and I can hear it while driving with the windows closed. I've gone to 3 different Chevy dealers, and none could figure out the cause.

At the top of this post is a link to the video. Turn up the volume, and you should be able to hear the noise. I have 3 questions:

-Is this the same engine noise you all have been hearing?
-Were any of you able to finally diagnose the cause of this noise?
-Who's LS7 has failed after having this noise, and who's engine is still running?

Many thanks,

Cameron
Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronS
https://youtu.be/GoqhylMyFl0

Hi everyone, another time traveler here. I'm a brand new member on the forum, but I've spent hours reading through Corvette threads. Thanks to all of you for the insightful posts.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one.

I recently bought my 2006 Corvette Z06 used, with 29,000 miles. She's a beast, and I love her more than anything.

However, I think she has the same engine ticking sound many of you are describing, and it seems to be getting worse over time. It's almost a fluttering-type noise that increases with RPMs. It's most noticeable between the 1,500-2,000 RPM range, and I can hear it while driving with the windows closed. I've gone to 3 different Chevy dealers, and none could figure out the cause.

At the top of this post is a link to the video. Turn up the volume, and you should be able to hear the noise. I have 3 questions:

-Who's LS7 has failed after having this noise, and who's engine is still running?

Many thanks,

Cameron
You might want to try again. This time turn off the radio and open the hood :yes nod:
The video you have sounds completely normal.

DH
Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 AM
TSColeman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds normal. I was on the perfect road to screw around with mine the other day. It would tick between 1800 and 2500 RPM, I would let off the gas and it would go away slowly (within a 50-100 RPM drop no matter where I was in the range), then if I got back on the gas slowly just to maintain speed, there would be no ticking. If I jumped back on hard it would tick, but not as bad as before. It seems to be worse when coming down off light load.

Either way, it screamed "injectors" to me. And it's all of them, not just a bad one or two. So I call it normal. I was wondering if some snake oil in the fuel might quiet it down, but I'm not a fan of not knowing what's in the stuff that's going BANG in my cylinders.

It's just the engineer in me.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 AM
CameronS
Cruising

Originally Posted by TSColeman
That sounds normal. I was on the perfect road to screw around with mine the other day. It would tick between 1800 and 2500 RPM, I would let off the gas and it would go away slowly (within a 50-100 RPM drop no matter where I was in the range), then if I got back on the gas slowly just to maintain speed, there would be no ticking. If I jumped back on hard it would tick, but not as bad as before. It seems to be worse when coming down off light load.

Either way, it screamed "injectors" to me. And it's all of them, not just a bad one or two. So I call it normal. I was wondering if some snake oil in the fuel might quiet it down, but I'm not a fan of not knowing what's in the stuff that's going BANG in my cylinders.

It's just the engineer in me.

So just to confirm, the sound you hear in the video is the same type of ticking noise you are hearing with your car? With the way you describe your tick in relation to the RPMs, it sure seems the same.

I do not think it's the fuel injectors. Chevy dealer #3 performed an extensive cleaning/flushing of the fuel injectors to remove any potential carbon build up. It did nothing, and the ticking continues to get worse over time. Furthermore, fuel injector ticking is a distinctly different type of sound.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

They are noisy engines and that sewing machine sound is typical, mine sounds like lifter over 2000 more so then injector
Old 09-14-2016, 12:45 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

This is normal. You have no worries.
The following users liked this post:
BrokerDon (09-19-2016)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:25 PM
schecter7
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, Help me understand this 'sewing machine' noise as it's pretty disgusting. Once I throw the shifter in neutral while cruising, it's gone (engine's still revving, right?) Is mine a different issue? Something to do with the transmission instead? Lifter? What a PITA - Thanks!

Last edited by schecter7; 06-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

There is a harmonic in the engine that causes light tapping valvetrain noise from 1800rpm to 2400rpm -ish.

Windows up, radio off, easy to hear. The stiffer your springs the louder it is.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ah, sounds normal to me...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 PM
RoKrIx
7th Gear

My 2007 with 27K miles sounds exactly like this. I'm assuming it's normal.

https://youtu.be/GoqhylMyFl0

Many thanks,

Cameron
Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 PM
GNasty1560
Navigator

Most likely its your lifters have flattened your cam a bit...My noise is due from lifter going bad-flat spot now on cam. looks like the roller lifter design can wear onto cam lobes. I thought it was loose valve etc but it came from this. I should have replaced cam during the fix but was going to sell car...anyway LS2's seem to go thru top half of engine quickly. I found small bits of metal tucked high in intake from 100k mileage car. Using risilone made the particles come out and stick to lifter wheels. Then flattened cam lobe. I dont recommend using risilone lifter quiet oil but their new Nano Prime additive is great.
Seems to kick in after 100 miles or so.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Usually caused by valve float / weak springs.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LOUD ticking at 1,500 to 2,000 rpms... What's the cause?