Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Better track day car: Viper ACR or ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
ACR definently over the zr1 for a track car. Or used 2006 to 2007 Z06 with suspension, engine, brake and tire upgrades, total investment under 50 to 60k and you'd have a better track car then the viper ACR or Zr1 - and you'd have 30 to 50k left over to fix any thing that might break.
What happens to that Z06 when you mod the ACR or ZR1 I think a ZR1 with a track package would be just bananas I really wish they would build a car like this but Im sure they wont since the just came out with the Z06 Carbon. Shouldnt be that hard with all that R&D from the Le Mans team. They should do it as a send off for the C6 platform like SRT did with the ACR for the Gen IV Vipers. Or maybe something like the Z06 Clubsport from the factory with at least 580hp N/A.

Last edited by SnakeBitten; 08-13-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
bmw2nv2000
Racer

Originally Posted by jvp
But why only 4 seconds? Let's compare the two...

Viper
  • Driven by a pro driver
  • Specifically configured to run on that track (splitter/wing/suspension)
  • 80-series tires

ZR1
  • Driven by a (very good) development engineer
  • Stock suspension with no adjustments made
  • 220-series run-flat tires

And it ONLY beat the ZR1 by 4 seconds on a 13 mile track? It should have killed the ZR1.

Let's be a little careful with slinging the word "myopia" around, eh?

jas

I have been reading this thread and every time I see you post I laugh my butt off. You are sooooo set on defending the ZR1 I have to wonder: just how badly have you been beaten at one of your "track sessions" by an ACR?? Cause it sounds to me like some very bitter vengeance against all ACR credentials like you have been spanked repeatably by one. I swear I am not trying to be a butt but it seems that way from a third party view and is funny as hell. Just my .02
Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

I think only BMW's can beat Jas. Not!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw2nv2000
I have been reading this thread and every time I see you post I laugh my butt off. You are sooooo set on defending the ZR1 I have to wonder: just how badly have you been beaten at one of your "track sessions" by an ACR?? Cause it sounds to me like some very bitter vengeance against all ACR credentials like you have been spanked repeatably by one. I swear I am not trying to be a butt but it seems that way from a third party view and is funny as hell. Just my .02
Well, I have to concur that jas is a cheerleader for the ZR1 specifically.

It doesn't make him a bad person...just "invested"...
Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 AM
laron
Pro

In closeing the ZR1 is a Beaste and the ACR is The BEASTE..

just let it have it's time on top guys. the viper is dead and soon the C7 whatevers will be knocking it down..
I remember when the C6Z06 was the bad boy on the block with a 7.42 lap at the ring
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
OK, so you don't have an answer to my question. Next?

jas
You are just embarrassing yourself now, your lack of knowledge and over the top fanboi-ism is laughable.

Accept the proven verified reality and then perhaps drive down to Starbucks with the other geezers to commiserate.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, so many personal attacks.

Let's not forget that if it weren't for the Viper, there would be no ZR1, and if it weren't for the Z06 there wouldn't be a 4th generation Viper. And if it weren't for the ZR1, there wouldn't be an ACR that could lap Laguna in under 1:33, which is crazy fast for a street car, track tires or no.

We, who are spending an inordinate amount of time attacking each other's rides and each other, are the complete winners here. Lost in all of this is that it's just a great time to be an American car enthusiast. If there's any doubt in your mind about this, then just remember the late 70's and the 80's, if you're old enough.

Perhaps it's time we start acting like it and stop demeaning each other (not to mention these world class cars that have the performance capabilities of Enzos and LP-670s).
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM
R&D
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suspect the personal attacks are being brought on by jas's closed mindedness and hyper-fanboism.

Most of us on here are vette guys, but I'll be the first to call a spade a spade.

The ZR1 is w/o a doubt a more civilized car for DD duty. But on a track, the ACR is VASTLY superior. The ZR1 with it's SC engine and lack of aero simply cant competitively compete during sustained lapping. That's not to say it's not a fast car, or cant be driven on the track, it is and it can be, it's just not cut out for it like the ACR is. Likewise, the ACR can very easily be used as a DD, but it's simply doesn't make as good of a DD as the much more refined ZR1.

To answer the OP's question, if you're looking for a track car that can occasionally be used on the street, the ACR is w/o a doubt the better pick. If you dont care about street usage, the ACR-X IS THE CAR... and will very likely be a real collector at some point as well. If you're looking for a vette for the track, I'd probably consider the Z06 or the Carbon before the ZR1. If you're looking for a DD that will occasionally be taken on the track, the ZR1 might be your best choice... assuming you do something to minimize the heat-soak.

BTW jas, please quit embarrassing 'us'.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by R&D
BTW jas, please quit embarrassing 'us'.

**** off. And while you're at it, re-read my first post in this thread.

jas
Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Frankly, a ZR1 and an ACR are so close--it's really the drivers and the tires that make the diff.

Put both cars on some Hoosiers and you'll have a very close race with the same drivers. Stock for stock, the ZR1's run flats are a huge handicap over the ACRs Pilot Sport Cups.

Tires are quite simply the single biggest perf upgrade you can make. This is true in what we do at HPDEs, and quite likely in real racing. Just ask Lou G. how upsetting it is when you cannot get the same compounds as the factory boys....
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Put both cars on some Hoosiers and you'll have a very close race with the same drivers.
No.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
No.
The fact of the matter is that no one has done it so we don't really know. I have yet to see a comparison of the two cars together on the same track the same day with the same/equal drivers. We have lap times from different conditions and different drivers from the same track. I have no doubt that on factory tires the ACR is the faster track car. Put them on equal tires they will get much closer, we just don't know how much. I feel the ACR, with it's aero advantage, will still be a little faster but not by that much. But like I said we don't really know.

I keep hearing about how much faster the 2010 ACR is but very few talk about the fact that the 2010 ZR1 with PTM is also faster. The improvements to the ACR seem mostly to do with high speed (top gear ratios and reduced wing drag) which in reality are only going to help on a select few road courses with very long straights. The Viper guys point to the Laguna Seca times and how much faster they are than the ’08 ACR times but it is really not an equal comparison. You are comparing times from a magazine test to a dedicated factory day at the track with the factory hot shoe driver. You don’t think that most of that time improvement came from that? Randy Pobst splitting time between 4 different cars (for a comparison) with limited laps in each car as compared to a full Dodge effort track day trying to eek out a fast lap. For a track like Laguna Seca I bet the changes to the ’10 ACR had very little to do with the better lap times. Randy Pobst also ran and ’09 ZR1 at Laguna (also a multi-car comparison) and got a time .7 sec slower than his ACR time (1:35.8 vs 1:35.1). You don’t think that if Chevy decided to bring out a 2010 ZR1 with a factory driver for a dedicated track day that they would be able to improve greatly on that time too? I think the fanboism swings both ways here if you don’t think these cars are at least close on equal tires.

Last edited by racerns; 08-19-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
The fact of the matter is that no one has done it so we don't really know. I have yet to see a comparison of the two cars together on the same track the same day with the same/equal drivers. We have lap times from different conditions and different drivers from the same track. I have no doubt that on factory tires the ACR is the faster track car. Put them on equal tires they will get much closer, we just don't know how much. I feel the ACR, with it's aero advantage, will still be a little faster but not by that much. But like I said we don't really know.

I keep hearing about how much faster the 2010 ACR is but very few talk about the fact that the 2010 ZR1 with PTM is also faster. The improvements to the ACR seem mostly to do with high speed (top gear ratios and reduced wing drag) which in reality are only going to help on a select few road courses with very long straights. The Viper guys point to the Laguna Seca times and how much faster they are than the ’08 ACR times but it is really not an equal comparison. You are comparing times from a magazine test to a dedicated factory day at the track with the factory hot shoe driver. You don’t think that most of that time improvement came from that? Randy Pobst splitting time between 4 different cars (for a comparison) with limited laps in each car as compared to a full Dodge effort track day trying to eek out a fast lap. For a track like Laguna Seca I bet the changes to the ’10 ACR had very little to do with the better lap times. Randy Pobst also ran and ’09 ZR1 at Laguna (also a multi-car comparison) and got a time .7 sec slower than his ACR time (1:35.8 vs 1:35.1). You don’t think that if Chevy decided to bring out a 2010 ZR1 with a factory driver for a dedicated track day that they would be able to improve greatly on that time too? I think the fanboism swings both ways here if you don’t think these cars are at least close on equal tires.
Ive pretty much ignored your posts, and will do so again after this post, but I must say.... That you are the BIGGEST ZR1 FANBOY, I have ever seen post, actually you are just as bad as the Honda FanBoy's,(all one has to do is look at all of your posts. ZR1 is a tad quicker on a dragstrip and at top speeds by a good margin, the Viper has yet to prove its new gears , so that doesnt mean anything, ZR1 wins. Everyday car ZR1 wins. But you are sniffing to much glue if you think a ZR1 is just tires away from being even close to an ACR in a course.... ok i'm done
Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
But you are sniffing to much glue if you think a ZR1 is just tires away from being even close to an ACR in a course.... ok i'm done
I don't know if your comment is true or not, but do you have any reason to believe that tires could not account for a 3.2 second difference at VIR and a <2 second difference at Laguna, everything else being equal? I understand about heat soak, and which car has the advantage in a longer session.

Again, I don't know what's correct and what isn't in response to your post quoted above. Just wondering what information supports it.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Ive pretty much ignored your posts, and will do so again after this post, but I must say.... That you are the BIGGEST ZR1 FANBOY, I have ever seen post, actually you are just as bad as the Honda FanBoy's,(all one has to do is look at all of your posts. ZR1 is a tad quicker on a dragstrip and at top speeds by a good margin, the Viper has yet to prove its new gears , so that doesnt mean anything, ZR1 wins. Everyday car ZR1 wins. But you are sniffing to much glue if you think a ZR1 is just tires away from being even close to an ACR in a course.... ok i'm done
I was wonder were you have been. Still trying to figure out what a total gear ratio is?

Please explain why the lap time differences that was are seeing between the 2 cars would not become much closer if they were on equal tires and the ZR1s PTM was used to its full extent.

I back my opinions with sound facts but you say I am sniffing glue and there is no way the ZR1 could come close to the ACR because.... it just can't. Who is being the fanboy?

For the record to answer the original question of this thread, if it is going to be a track car only then the ACR is the way to go but if you plan any real street time with the car then the advantages of the ZR1 outweigh the relatively small track performance advantage of the ACR. (This does not include styling because that is purely subjective.)

Last edited by racerns; 08-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:31 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
I was wonder were you have been. Still trying to figure out what a total gear ratio is?

Please explain why the lap time differences that was are seeing between the 2 cars would not become much closer if they were on equal tires and the ZR1s PTM was used to its full extent.

I back my opinions with sound facts but you say I am sniffing glue and there is no way the ZR1 could come close to the ACR because.... it just can't. Who is being the fanboy?

For the record to answer the original question of this thread, if it is going to be a track car only then the ACR is the way to go but if you plan any real street time with the car then the advantages of the ZR1 outweigh the relatively small track performance advantage of the ACR. (This does not include styling because that is purely subjective.)
No, to busy going 10.0's in my foxrod in very hot heat, on 373 gears(it will easily beat my 9 second time in my viper when the heat breaks) Nice nice day im going to drive it to the strip and get my mid 9and not worry about my gear ratio's
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is no need for this thread to turn into a long heated battle. The ZR1 is a GT car that's street oriented. I've never seen a track car come with 20" chrome wheels. Some of your are trying to indicate that the ACR is nothing more than a regular Viper that has been mounted with PS Cups... you are wrong. It's not like the ZR1 uses Goodyear runflats, the OEM runflat PS2s are much better than you are giving them credit for. Would the ZR1 be quicker with PS Cups? Sure, after you changed to a smaller wheel so you could mount a set but I doubt the Cups will make the ZR1 3.2 seconds faster at VIR or ~2 seconds faster at Laguna.

Also who goes to a trackday and only does 1-4 laps per session? The ZR1's heatsoak can cause it to lose anywhere from 50 - 100hp and at that point Z06s are superior track cars to a ZR1!

As good as the current ZR1 is, it is not and will never be a superior track day car. After just 5 laps a ZR1 would be over 16 seconds behind at VIR and 10 seconds behind at Laguna. I'd hardly call that *** kicking a "relatively small track performance advantage" Don't worry though, in a mile-run competition the ZR1 will win all day everyday.

Last edited by 4-Sho; 08-20-2010 at 04:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Better track day car: Viper ACR or ZR1

Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Also who goes to a trackday and only does 1-4 laps per session? The ZR1's heatsoak can cause it to lose anywhere from 50 - 100hp and at that point Z06s are superior track cars to a ZR1!
This is pure, unadulterated horsesh!t. No one has yet to provide:
- IATs for both cars on the same hot day on the same hot track
- Timing pulls for both cars on the same hot day on the same hot track

The vast majority of the "heat soak" crowd actually have very little clue what they're talking about. They're making assumptions based on rumor, speculation, and misinformation. Until someone provides those two bits of information listed above, it's just nonsense.

Now, someone's going to reach back and quote a certain tuner about HP loss on a chassis dyno. Great. Do you know what one of the worst things you can do from a thermodynamics perspective to an FI'd intercooled engine? A static chassis dyno pull. Intercoolers work in part by having air flowing by them (or the heat exchanger, or whatever). A 20-30MPH breeze from a fan is not going to emulate a +120MPH blast of air when the car is moving at speed.

jas (on my way to Summit Point for more "heat soak" fun today)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 AM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Default Sad

I have not commented for almost a year on this forum, but, it is sad to see that when one person simply states his opinion, one person jumps him and the rest follow suit.

Try and think for yourselves and make informed decisions that are not biased on what other people say.

I agree, both cars are spectacular and that's where I will leave it.

Sheeple+Zr1+ACR=Ego and throttle spring measuring contest.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jvp
This is pure, unadulterated horsesh!t. No one has yet to provide:
- IATs for both cars on the same hot day on the same hot track
- Timing pulls for both cars on the same hot day on the same hot track

The vast majority of the "heat soak" crowd actually have very little clue what they're talking about. They're making assumptions based on rumor, speculation, and misinformation. Until someone provides those two bits of information listed above, it's just nonsense.

Now, someone's going to reach back and quote a certain tuner about HP loss on a chassis dyno. Great. Do you know what one of the worst things you can do from a thermodynamics perspective to an FI'd intercooled engine? A static chassis dyno pull. Intercoolers work in part by having air flowing by them (or the heat exchanger, or whatever). A 20-30MPH breeze from a fan is not going to emulate a +120MPH blast of air when the car is moving at speed.

jas (on my way to Summit Point for more "heat soak" fun today)
Yes, if you're going to Summit Point for anything more than your usual short sessions you will have some heat soak fun today. Don't forget to hydrate!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Better track day car: Viper ACR or ZR1