Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Opinions about Viper vs Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

If speed, all around performance and comfort is what your after get the Vette. If "look at me" is what you want, get the Viper. Any stock Viper thats not an 08 or newer will get smoked by a c6z.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Naeblis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by molon labe
a few other things to consider ....

* and finally, the Z06 is much better for sex. a girl can comfortably lean over and give you "oral pleasure". also, the hood of the vette can definitely hold 250 lbs of repeated thrusting for at least 30 minutes. i doubt you'd want to risk damaging a $15,000 viper hood.
Full of win IMO No PIC no PROOF
Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Sammons
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same comparison after I sold my C5 Z06. I like the idea of less Vipers on the road and I think the convertible viper looks cool, but honestly after dealing with the Dodge service clowns trying to get my truck fixed after literally dozens of trips back and forth... that is all I needed to sway me on an '08 Z06. I bought mine in January and haven't looked back
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Viper ??

Did someone say Viper. Found good use for a GIV Viper differential.

All goes under a 64' roadster restro-rod.

Jim

Attached Images     
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Over-Rev
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The Viper has always been my dream car and still is. The only thing that keeps me away is the lack of ANY kind of traction control. I only drive my car on the weekends now and when I do, it’s more of a fun drive than trying to get from A to B. The weather here changes dramatically throughout the day so if you haven’t heated up the tires you could be in for a big surprise.

Sometimes I can pull right out in 90 degree heat and the car will grip like hell. The next day its 75 and I will go to pass someone in 2rd gear and the tail will whip out (active handling works wonders here). Yeah, yeah you will have people saying all this BS about driver’s skill, etc. The bottom line is Vipers are MUCH LESS forgiving than a Vette with active handling. I don’t care what some ego-maniac says about not knowing how to drive; they have obviously not floored their cars at 60, everything going well until they run over a moist part of the road at 7 on a Sunday morning. Yeah there are some people that just shouldn’t drive these things but there are other situations where you can know everything there is about driving, it still won’t always save you from the unexpected.

There are many unexpected variables that take place on everyday roads (bumps, cracks, tarmac changes, moisture changes like that car that leaked oil or coolant on the road 5 min before you got there, large sections of road that have been tarred for repair making it more slippery, and other things that you won’t experience as much on a closed-circuit course that has been prepped and cared for.) And if you do see these variables on a track, you also have runoff and other safety features to make sure you don’t take as much damage as you would on the street.

Could I handle a Viper? Yes I easily could (I have driven the Vette plenty of times with everything shut off). Do I want my weekend toy to be a car I always have to be paying attention to when I want to romp on it? Hell no. There are aftermarket traction control systems that are available for Vipers but none that I see are easy to install or function. Until they make one then I will stay away from blowing $50k on a car that could cause serious problems in the 35-65 degree weather I love to drive in.

Either way, choose what you like best and have fun with it!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine123
[...]Z06 would be the car to choose if your gonna daily driver it. If you want a Viper I'd go for the Coupe if you want to take more than a small purse with you anywhere you go.
[...]
"Its not IF you'll wreck your viper... Its just a matter of when."
i definitely like the coupe better too for Gen III/IV. better profile, more aggressive look.

i also agree about the viper being very unforgiving. in fact, i'd say it's the least forgiving modern production car i've ever driven. i never wrecked any of mine, but i had numerous VERY close calls.

Originally Posted by spidartanks
perhaps that would make it a car to hold its value more too!? i know for right now im looking at mid 40's for a used 03-05 Viper (canadian $$) and i'll be around the same for a used Vette. and for some reason it is a lot HARDER to find a used vette than a Viper!
i don't think the viper will appreciate or hold more value for at least 25 years. the viper is a risky bet because of the shaky viability of Dodge too.

Originally Posted by Naeblis
Full of win IMO No PIC no PROOF
the girl who tested with me is actually a playboy bunny now. she was definitely one of the highlights of my life.

Originally Posted by Over-Rev
The bottom line is Vipers are MUCH LESS forgiving than a Vette with active handling. I don’t care what some ego-maniac says about not knowing how to drive; they have obviously not floored their cars at 60, everything going well until they run over a moist part of the road at 7 on a Sunday morning. Yeah there are some people that just shouldn’t drive these things but there are other situations where you can know everything there is about driving, it still won’t always save you from the unexpected.
:wit hstupid:

all said, both cars are great vehicles, and you'll love owning and driving either one.

side note: you can always do what i did ... buy a viper, then a vette, then another viper, then another vette, etc, etc.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 AM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

The 08 acr is a serious ride. I would only get that model. I would like one but the z is a great car. I am still as happy to drive it as as I was the day I got it. The car is just a blast to drive, a good value, and pretty comfortable, not that I take it on long trips. Good luck in your search!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just think the Vette is easier to live with, Viper is a head turner, but friends have told me that it's plain hard to live with at times. Quality issues, heat, cramp spaces....etc. Can't just cruise around and really sucks in traffic (but then traffic sucks).
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
jumbojet
Instructor

How much $ are these after market traction control systems going for on the Vipers? Never knew that was even an option...
Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzeeeeee
i drove my friends 03 viper , it was nice ,fast as ***** but it feels like yr driving a hot rod , too much heat in the cabin,felt clostofobic in there,the interior was lame , no traction control i had the car going sideways in third gear ,imo its not as refined as a z06 plus im not a fan of tacking an 8.0 TRUCK MOTOR AND DROPPING IT IN THE VIPER. DODGE SHOULD OF BUILT THAT MOTOR STRICTLY FOR THAT CAR ,LIKE THE Z06 AND HAND MADE.BUT I DO LOVE THE RAW POWER OF THAT CAR ......IF YOU DO GET THE VIPER GOOD LUCK WITH ITS A SEXY LOOKING CAR .
You do realize the motor was in the Viper 2 years prior to it being released in the truck, right?

I agree the LS7 is a special, unique motor, but that is the only Vette engine...and they aren't completely reliable either. GM has been putting Vette motors in everything, for some time now. Even the ZR1 engine has it's spinoffs...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM
CrashTest
Advanced

Originally Posted by racezx9
I just think the Vette is easier to live with, Viper is a head turner, but friends have told me that it's plain hard to live with at times. Quality issues, heat, cramp spaces....etc. Can't just cruise around and really sucks in traffic (but then traffic sucks).
In the 5 years I had mine, I never found it to have quality issues. In fact, that car was way over-engineered and it just felt as if it was "indestructible". My Z06 seems "fragile" in comparison.

Sure, the Viper seat is narrow but it's a racing seat. Big, tight bolsters with suede seat centers to hold you tight. The Z06 seat is just a slippery, leather slab.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzeeeeee
i drove my friends 03 viper , it was nice ,fast as ***** but it feels like yr driving a hot rod , too much heat in the cabin,felt clostofobic in there,the interior was lame , no traction control i had the car going sideways in third gear ,imo its not as refined as a z06 plus im not a fan of tacking an 8.0 TRUCK MOTOR AND DROPPING IT IN THE VIPER. DODGE SHOULD OF BUILT THAT MOTOR STRICTLY FOR THAT CAR ,LIKE THE Z06 AND HAND MADE.BUT I DO LOVE THE RAW POWER OF THAT CAR ......IF YOU DO GET THE VIPER GOOD LUCK WITH ITS A SEXY LOOKING CAR .
What are you smoking??? Truck motor in a car? Really...you sure now? Might want to check the facts before stating things you obviously know nothing about.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Over-Rev
The Viper has always been my dream car and still is. The only thing that keeps me away is the lack of ANY kind of traction control. I only drive my car on the weekends now and when I do, it’s more of a fun drive than trying to get from A to B. The weather here changes dramatically throughout the day so if you haven’t heated up the tires you could be in for a big surprise.

Sometimes I can pull right out in 90 degree heat and the car will grip like hell. The next day its 75 and I will go to pass someone in 2rd gear and the tail will whip out (active handling works wonders here). Yeah, yeah you will have people saying all this BS about driver’s skill, etc. The bottom line is Vipers are MUCH LESS forgiving than a Vette with active handling. I don’t care what some ego-maniac says about not knowing how to drive; they have obviously not floored their cars at 60, everything going well until they run over a moist part of the road at 7 on a Sunday morning. Yeah there are some people that just shouldn’t drive these things but there are other situations where you can know everything there is about driving, it still won’t always save you from the unexpected.

There are many unexpected variables that take place on everyday roads (bumps, cracks, tarmac changes, moisture changes like that car that leaked oil or coolant on the road 5 min before you got there, large sections of road that have been tarred for repair making it more slippery, and other things that you won’t experience as much on a closed-circuit course that has been prepped and cared for.) And if you do see these variables on a track, you also have runoff and other safety features to make sure you don’t take as much damage as you would on the street.

Could I handle a Viper? Yes I easily could (I have driven the Vette plenty of times with everything shut off). Do I want my weekend toy to be a car I always have to be paying attention to when I want to romp on it? Hell no. There are aftermarket traction control systems that are available for Vipers but none that I see are easy to install or function. Until they make one then I will stay away from blowing $50k on a car that could cause serious problems in the 35-65 degree weather I love to drive in.

Either way, choose what you like best and have fun with it!
I'd agree with you about the traction control issue, but if you use the throttle correctly with a lot of seat time...you can control it. I'm not sure I like the fact that my Z has all those things, as I get too comfortable in it, and if per chance, the traction control should go bye bye and not indicate as such, while I mash the pedal, the results WOULD be disastrous. At least I know I can't simply mash the pedal in my Viper. Just takes some practice...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've driven Vipers quite a bit. I agree with a lot of the posts here. You have to decide what you want the car for. Do you just want to take it out for "parade" runs for everyone to gawk at you and feel the raw power, or do you want to use it like a real car?

That might seem like an extreme statement, but I really do think that sums it up. There is a reason that anything over 5,000 miles (regardless of year) is considered high mileage for a Viper.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Vette is a better DD'er than a Viper. But it depends on what you want out of it.

If you're driving it every day or plan on road trips in it, Vette. If you own a beater to get to work etc and only take it out for cruises or events, Viper.

my .02
Imo, the Viper is more of a raw racer than the Vette. And its' temperaments reflect that. The Vette is a more refined, well featured machine.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

The Vipers are great cars. I would only be interested in a 2008 or newer with the 600hp. The older versions are not quicker than a Z06 (stock vs stock).
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Witt748
Pro

I was in you're position two months ago... this was the bottom line for me;

1) The viper is more rare, you will get more attention... If you pull up in front of clubs or restaurants you're going to get a few more looks in the viper vs the z06... The vette still does a good job though, especially if you're younger, (i'm 28 and my girlfriend has to punch me from time to time when I get the smiles from the ladies lol)

2) Stock vs stock, the vette has better performance than older vipers in every aspect.... you can tune either into an absolute monster though, but the vette will usually be cheaper to do that to.

3) vette will be cheaper to maintain... i got my 07 with an extended warranty for $1500, and I couldn't do that with the viper... i plan on modding the car, but the warranty will still cover a lot.

4) I'm more comfortable in the vette for road trips, plus it can actually fit some luggage... again I'm saying this as someone around your age, and had sport bikes for years. I've ridden my Ducati 748 (arguably the most uncomfortable bike ever made), for hundreds of miles in a day, so comfort or drive ability isn't the biggest deal in the world for me, but, especially if you're over 6 ft tall, there is a difference.

Bottom line you said you're 25 right? Be damn happy, (myself included), that you are in a position to buy either one of these cars. There are so many people out there that will never be able to touch either one... Now after you are humble again, YOU MUST DRIVE BOTH!!! Then if you still can't decide, if you're single and want everyone to take your picture when you're at the stop light, get the viper... if you have a girlfriend, or if you want only some people to take your picture at the light, buy the vette... of course I still say buy the vette, but I'm biased now... have fun!!! You wont go wrong either way.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions about Viper vs Z06?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
nutrientcobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by spidartanks
I am in process of selling my SVT Cobra Convertible and i had my eye set on a Z06 Corvette however recently i was approached for a trade (plus cash) on an 03 Dodge Viper SRT 10.

now i know that on a mustang forum ppl will tell me keep the cobra, on a viper forum they will tell me get the viper and on here "get the z06"

i was just wondering if anyone else on here had any thoughts or experiences with a Viper vs. a z06?

i will be buying used and both cars will be around the same price it seems, i feel the viper has more crowd appeal and is more eye grabbing and more powerful, but the corvette reminds me on a supercar and is bad ***.

i'm 25 and i want a car that i can have fun with and enjoy driving it, do love the convertible right now but i am willing to go hard top z06 too,

i am really really confused about this decision any advice here?

thanks
I just sold my 2008 Z06 to my brother and bought a 2010 Viper ACR! The Vett was much better of a in town to the store bum around comfy car. Easier to get in and out of, roomier, quieter, not as bouncy. The Viper is a beast, race ready go to the track car. It handles like a rocket on rails and holds the track record over everything at Nurburbring in Germany, even over the ZR1. They are both good cars. It just depends how much you want to spend and what you want. More everyday fun ride, or race inspired track car that suffers ride comfort!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Those of you saying the Viper only gets a "few more looks" than the Z06 couldn't be more mistaken. It isn't even a comparison. You can park even an old Viper next to a new ZR1, and make the Corvette become invisible. Corvettes are just too common, they don't turn the heads like a Viper does. I probably see a dozen C6's a day on my commute to work. Most people can't tell the difference between a base C6 or a Z, or ZR1. Everyone knows what a Viper is though.

But, some people don't enjoy/want that sort of attention. To them, having a more low profile car is the bonus here. No right or wrong answer, just preferences.

Viper feels more heavy duty and over-engineered compared to the Corvette. No doubt the drivetrain is stronger under the Dodge. Just compare the half shafts and rear diff housings. BIG difference.

Z06 makes a better daily driver though, it rides smoother and has softer seats. That doesn't bother me though, since neither of my cars are daily drivers.

Tony

Last edited by NineBall; 07-24-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Witt748
Pro

"those of you saying" would only be me, nobody else said that, just me lol. I also said everyone will be taking pictures when you drive the viper, so I completely agree that the viper grabs more attention, I see about 50 vettes to 1 viper on the road where I live. However a c6 z06 is too good looking to be invisible against a viper though, especially someone younger driving a vette is going to still get plenty of attention, again definitely not the same as with a viper, but you still get attention no matter what cars you're next to.

I also think the styling of the car that the op is considering (2003 srt10 convertible) might be one of the most reserved out of the vipers in the last ten years. Any older GTS's, srt10 coupes, or those new kick a$$ ARCS, are probably going to grab much more attention than a 2003 vert, (2003 coupe is a different story), just based off of the aggressiveness of the styling...

ok those new ARCS might make the z06 invisible, but that's as far as i'll go

viper = attention, but the z06 isn't exactly a civic either.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Opinions about Viper vs Z06?