Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z Trans "Notchy" Feeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Tom Beames
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6Z Trans "Notchy" Feeling

I owned a 07Z for 13 payments but had to sell her(economy). I wrote to the CF about a "notchy" feeling when shifting-most noticable 1-2 and lesser in 3-4.

CF'ers responded nicely. Seems about split-some noticed it or similar feelings, others felt nothing.

To satisfy my broken heart, I purchaed a drop dead gorgious 04Z Z16 trim. Beautiful car but just not a C6Z. You just can not have too many horses and the torque of the CZ6 was better then any other feeling-well- almost.

My heart is now broken again-sold the C5Z but, before I start a new search for an 07-09Z, I must ask-did GM ever acknowledge that there MAY be an issue with the tranny and/or did they ever do anything to change the set up?? I do remember that the notchy feeling was more noticable when the trans was cold. RANGER told me to watch the oil temp and as it got higher then the trans fluid was warming up accordingly. That warming of the fluid seemed to help somewhat.

Any news on my dilemma?

Tom Beames
Broken Hearted
Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 AM
shifter77
Drifting

All i know is the tranny is different from 09+. My buddy had an 06 them traded for a 2010. He mentioned the tranny felt more precise and the shifts were shorter.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Beames
I owned a 07Z for 13 payments but had to sell her(economy). I wrote to the CF about a "notchy" feeling when shifting-most noticable 1-2 and lesser in 3-4.

CF'ers responded nicely. Seems about split-some noticed it or similar feelings, others felt nothing.

To satisfy my broken heart, I purchaed a drop dead gorgious 04Z Z16 trim. Beautiful car but just not a C6Z. You just can not have too many horses and the torque of the CZ6 was better then any other feeling-well- almost.

My heart is now broken again-sold the C5Z but, before I start a new search for an 07-09Z, I must ask-did GM ever acknowledge that there MAY be an issue with the tranny and/or did they ever do anything to change the set up?? I do remember that the notchy feeling was more noticable when the trans was cold. RANGER told me to watch the oil temp and as it got higher then the trans fluid was warming up accordingly. That warming of the fluid seemed to help somewhat.

Any news on my dilemma?

Tom Beames
Broken Hearted
I bought a C5Z Z16 new and sold it in the beginning of 2009 to buy a new left over 2008 C6Z so I understand your desire for the change. The C5 had a T56 tranny which was very smooth shifting in my opinion but my biggest problem was the loooong throw of the shifter. This has always been my biggest problem in the 4 Corvettes I had owned up to that point.

Well, finally GM figured out in 2008 to shorten the throw!!! About time, 55 years later...

In 2008 the tranny changed to a TR6060 from the T56, as well as a shorter throw shifter. Some have noticed a notchy feel until warmed up with the TR6060 but this was also the case with some people's experience, yourself included, with the T56. My car is as smooth as butter, but this could be because we really don't experience any cold weather down here in South Florida.

You also want to keep in mind that there was some steering updates in the 08+ that gave the steering a more precise feel. This was verified by several members who had experienced both 07's and 08's.

One big change in 09 you may want to consider if you plan on tracking your car is a larger sump tank. They increased from 8 quarts to 10.5 quarts. This may help to prevent an oil starvation issue on the track.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
shifter77
Drifting

Notchy could also mean that the gear synchronizer could be worn out, its usually in 2nd gear. Have it checked and use Royal purple synchromesh gear oil.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

GM has deemed the notchy shifting on the 06-07 Zs in the 1-2 shift as "normal"

AS in if it is not exactly smooth, it is OK. But if you feel it really "grind" into gear, not normal. Could be synchros.

I agree, go with the RP and it is a different easier shift experience.

Interestingly, the 2011s have improved synchros in the gearbox, so GM must have acknowledged the shifting experince needed to be improved.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I have a 08z and some days it's hard as hell to shift 1-2, 4-5, and 5-6. It acts like it doesn't want go then sometimes it just takes alittle more effort. Then there are days when it's smooth as butter. Who the F knows, but I do know it's annoying.

I think GM finally did something about this by having new material synchros installed in the 2011 vettes.

Last edited by LFZ; 07-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
shifter77
Drifting

SYNCHROS are a warranty issue.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter77
SYNCHROS are a warranty issue.
Except when they say the 1-2 & 2-3 nibbles/grinds is normal.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, we all know that it is a warranty issue. That is really great, your new $80,000 car torn apart by some bonehead. GM still has unresolved C5 issues that were warrantee issues.
So, no offense to any of the many great techs out there, but that would not make me feel better. I would be heading to RPM Trans Co. and as good as they are, its not cheap. This trans issue is really well documented and a search should bring up a lot of reading.
But having said all the above I have a great 08Z. These are good cars, enjoy....Skip
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM
shifter77
Drifting

I agree i swapped + $$$$ my 07 tranny for a RPM stage 5 & qualife diff. ALL good.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by skip89
That is really great, your new $80,000 car torn apart by some bonehead.
Don't know who you have working at the dealerships in the states, but here in Canada in the past 20 years and 4 dealerships, I have had the pleasure of working with some incredible techs, especially the tranny guys. One in particular was like a freakin walking encylopedia when it came to his craft. Im sure he would love to know some people on here trust the assembly line workers more to put their car together than him.

There are bad apples in every position at GM from CEO right down to the parts dept. To imply somehow, that dealer techs are not worthy of working on these cars is just plain ignorant.

Sure, screw the R&D dept, and the engineers who designed this bad shifting trans, it's actually the dealer tech thats the bonehead right?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
Don't know who you have working at the dealerships in the states, but here in Canada in the past 20 years and 4 dealerships, I have had the pleasure of working with some incredible techs, especially the tranny guys. One in particular was like a freakin walking encylopedia when it came to his craft. Im sure he would love to know some people on here trust the assembly line workers more to put their car together than him.

There are bad apples in every position at GM from CEO right down to the parts dept. To imply somehow, that dealer techs are not worthy of working on these cars is just plain ignorant.

Sure, screw the R&D dept, and the engineers who designed this bad shifting trans, it's actually the dealer tech thats the bonehead right?
Have you ever been to a GM dealership service department in the US? Not all are bad, but you really have to do your research then still hope and pray that your $80k car comes back without a scratch, broken rocker panel, hydrolocked motor, chipped up calipers, bent wheels, excessive miles, empty gas tank, etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha, Before you start calling anyone ignorant, you should do that search and read the horror stories. I qualified my statement about bonehead techs if you will please go back and read my post. Again, not ALL are bad, many are great. Here in my area you NEED TO BE CAUTIOUS who works on your car.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Except when they say the 1-2 & 2-3 nibbles/grinds is normal.
It is normal when the tranny is cold. You can get a couple hundred K miles on a car that has that issue so why isn't it normal? My 08 does it when cold and the feeling goes away within a mile. Had plenty of other transmissions do the same when they were cold as well never had an issue with any of them. Drive your car after it has set outside in 10 degree weather for 5 or 6 hours. Not only will the gears nibble but you will have trouble moving the shifter or getting the transmission into any gear until the oil warms up.

Bill
Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is normal when the tranny is cold. You can get a couple hundred K miles on a car that has that issue so why isn't it normal? My 08 does it when cold and the feeling goes away within a mile. Had plenty of other transmissions do the same when they were cold as well never had an issue with any of them. Drive your car after it has set outside in 10 degree weather for 5 or 6 hours. Not only will the gears nibble but you will have trouble moving the shifter or getting the transmission into any gear until the oil warms up.

Bill
Not everyone's transmissions have the nibbles/grinds. I guess that those that don't have the nibbles/grinds should go to their dealer and insist the the nibbles/grinds be added to their transmissions under warranty so they are "normal".

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Trans "Notchy" Feeling

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z Trans "Notchy" Feeling