Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mild 2 Wild - not working - need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:02 PM
v8maro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mild 2 Wild - not working - need help

Ok, I just picked up my z06 and it has a m2w on it. The remote is molded into the sun visor (cool), it has 3 buttons on it. I have no idea what all 3 do. When I press them, a red light on the remote either is solid, or blinks. I had the wife mess with them while I was behind the car, and I didn't notice any change.

Since I am new to my z06 and this m2w, does anyone have a wiring schematic of this? maybe install instructions? I'd like to figure out why it's not working.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

The remote on the sun visor is standard, usually used to program your garage door opener. On 06 Z's you could program the M2W for this remote, but it doesn't work for later years, so unless you have an 06, then the remote on the sun visor won't work for the M2W. You should have gotten a separate remote from the original owner to run the M2W.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you know you have a m2w?

The visor buttons aren't aftermarket like the m2w, they are a GM option that comes from Bowling Green.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 PM
svoshop
Burning Brakes

Agree with the above posts.

Pull up the passenger side floor mat. Pull down the fuse cover panel and see if the module is in place.

I think you are mistaken for the factory installed homelink.

I remember being that excited when I got a new car. Congrats, and laugh this one off.

Mike
Old 07-05-2010, 08:02 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by svoshop
Agree with the above posts.

Pull up the passenger side floor mat. Pull down the fuse cover panel and see if the module is in place.

I think you are mistaken for the factory installed homelink.

I remember being that excited when I got a new car. Congrats, and laugh this one off.

Mike
If you don't see the module installed, then while you have the mat pulled back you might as well pull the fuse (bottom right fuse) and see what the exhaust sounds like with the valves open. Congrats on your new Z!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 AM
v8maro
Racer

Pulled back the floor mat this afternoon to verify that the m2w controller is there, and it's definitely there...however I don't think its the m2w brand...I will try to snap some pics tomorrow. The install doesn't look like the m2w manual but it's hooked to the same fuse, but a different ground.

I do have an 06 z06, and yes it is the OEM homelink which was programmed to open/close the m2w - but it doesn't seem to do that now - or anything. Where can I read some info on how to program it? (btw- it's 3 buttons and a single led that's activated by all 3)

I know I have a m2w(or a variant) for sure because #1, the 2nd owner who I bought the car from said it had it, and #2, I compared it to my friends stock Z and it's definitely louder.

The previous owner mentioned to me that his battery went dead after a few weeks of the car sitting. Noting this, I read the m2w manual and it says that leaving it always in the open position (which it is), will slowly drain the battery. I would like to fix this before the winter is here

one last tid-bit - the previous owner didn't give me (or have) the m2w fob, so am I screwed? lol?

Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

What color is the m2w box?..the reason I ask is that my M2W was not working half the time.Called up the Vendor and they gave me a newer design controller.

Last edited by cencalc6; 07-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Wouldn't dealers reset the homelink to prevent someone from opening the previous owner's garage? I know I reset my homelink on my 2006 coupe before I traded it.

And the first step in the programming procedure for a new garage is to reset it. That would wipe out any M2W programming. And to set it in the first place would have required the M2W remote. So the previous owner had to have them.

The cost of replacement remotes would probably be close to the $100 cost of the whole system. I'd just replace it.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some cars came with the 3 buttons on the visor, and some with 2 buttons. The 3 button visor is not compatable with your M2W fob. My Z is an 08' with 3 buttons and we've tried to make it work with no luck. You can visit the manufacturer of the M2W that you have on the internet. They can explain it to you far more clearly. Sorry, there dosen't seem to be a way around it.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Terminology?

M2W is a trade name for just ONE of the MANY manufacturers of Bimode muffler controls.

3 button visor? It's NOT a Homelink, it's a Lear Car2U.

Sunset Orange Creations makes an exhaust controller that works with the 3 button Lear (he also has a huge assortment of other controllers). I have his one button Remotes installed on my '08 for over 2 years with no problems.

http://www.sunsetorangecreations.com/

Last edited by haljensen; 07-06-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add link
Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen

I have an 06 with a 3 button visor (bought new), and the manual refers to it as the Universal Home Remote (not Homelink). So I don't think that just because it is a 3 button means that it is a Lear Car2U.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You probably have an Exhaust Commander which is my brand of exhaust switch. I have several models so a picture of the receiver would be great to ID it.

The standard unit is a white box with a sticker that says " Exhaust Commander" on it.

It should have come with a keyfob remote with it to actuate the system.

If the homelink visor was reset you will need the keyfob remote to re-program the visor to talk to the receiver.

Also, if you have a real " homelink " brand visor you will have 1 led light above the center button. If it is a car2u visor you will have 3 led lights on above each button.

If you have the small white box receiver and the 3 led car2u visor then you cannot program the remote to the visor.

Only the 1 led homelink visor is compatible with the small white box Exhaust Commander.

Please contact me with a photo and I will figure out which remote you need for your unit.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
v8maro
Racer

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
You probably have an Exhaust Commander which is my brand of exhaust switch. I have several models so a picture of the receiver would be great to ID it.

The standard unit is a white box with a sticker that says " Exhaust Commander" on it.

It should have come with a keyfob remote with it to actuate the system.

If the homelink visor was reset you will need the keyfob remote to re-program the visor to talk to the receiver.

Also, if you have a real " homelink " brand visor you will have 1 led light above the center button. If it is a car2u visor you will have 3 led lights on above each button.

If you have the small white box receiver and the 3 led car2u visor then you cannot program the remote to the visor.

Only the 1 led homelink visor is compatible with the small white box Exhaust Commander.

Please contact me with a photo and I will figure out which remote you need for your unit.

HomeLink?

Also, in this investigation, I've learned something...my m2w or w/e it is, isn't exactly placed where everyone else's is...it's buried into the mess of wires of a car.

In the pic above, there are two wires coming from the fuse (don't confuse it with the red wire going to the normal spot for a m2w, that's something with the nav or dvd), I followed them along the bottom edge of the carpet, to the left side, from there, they go under the floor mat to somewhere I didn't feel like tracking today...it's a mess.

Someone got a hold of this car and installed a Kenwood after market DVD/NAV system (badass system btw) but they re-located the m2w. When I have time to tear the car apart this weekend I will look for it. On a side not, the passenger kicker panel is cracked almost in half, anyone have a part number for this? Either the installer or the previous owner tried to hide it, kind of shady.

Thanks!!

Last edited by v8maro; 07-06-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Looks like it's right under the ECU over on the left...just pull it out and you should see the box. Mine's in the same spot.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
v8maro
Racer

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Looks like it's right under the ECU over on the left...just pull it out and you should see the box. Mine's in the same spot.
Nope, thats not it. Thats a part for the dvd/nav. The two wires coming from the fuse actually go into their own wire loom and go under the seat somewhere.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Well, from the wiring it doest look like one of my controllers.

All of my Exhaust Commander exhaust controllers are powered from a the htd seat / wiper relay fuse. Then the output of the controller goes to the left side of the exhaust fuse.

You may have to follow those wires to find out what you have them connected to.

You do have a " homelink " brand visor though.

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 07-06-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

The dealer showed me it work thru the visor and i always left it open. Try manually moving the butterflys via the pistons on top of the mufflers, maybe it just needs to be moved as it has not been in a long time. Wish i could help more.

As for the kick plate that is news to me and yes sucks, i never went down there and looked around - good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Mild 2 Wild - not working - need help

Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by haljensen
Terminology?

M2W is a trade name for just ONE of the MANY manufacturers of Bimode muffler controls.

Sunset Orange Creations makes an exhaust controller that works with the 3 button Lear (he also has a huge assortment of other controllers). I have his one button Remotes installed on my '08 for over 2 years with no problems.

http://www.sunsetorangecreations.com/
EDIT!

The line about 3 button visor should have read; It's not a Homelink unless it has the embossed logo of a house above the 3 buttons on the visor. No house logo, it's a Lear Car2U.

Sorry about that, I think faster than I can type.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
v8maro
Racer

Originally Posted by robertpel9
The dealer showed me it work thru the visor and i always left it open. Try manually moving the butterflys via the pistons on top of the mufflers, maybe it just needs to be moved as it has not been in a long time. Wish i could help more.

As for the kick plate that is news to me and yes sucks, i never went down there and looked around - good luck
Ok will try. The kick panel was def done by the installer the more I look at it...what a tool lol.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
bobcatmd
Advanced

I just got a mild to wild with NO instructions. I know where to plug in the fuse link but is the black wire a ground and the blue an antennae for the remote?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mild 2 Wild - not working - need help