Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Nitto Invos scary first run!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Krolczyk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Invos scary first run!!!

Just got the Nitto Invos put on my Z. I went WOT 1st through 3rd gear and it was all over the road. The traction was not very good and when I reached around the 120 mph mark the car felt as if it were drifting from side to side! I am putting down 551 HP to the ground. The sizes are fronts 295/35/ZR18 rear 345/30/ZR19. Tires are mounted on stock wheels. Tire pressure was at 30 front and 28 rear cold. Should I increase the pressures to fix the drifting side to side problem? I just took off the GY runflats and did not have these issues. Rear tire traction was a problem though. Do the invos need to be broken in or what?

Last edited by Krolczyk; 06-29-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were the tires warm and was it warm outside? If it was a cooler day it takes a bit of time for the tires to heat up and actually get sticky.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Krolczyk
Racer

The rear tire traction issue was not what I was really worried about. The tires were not warm enough yet and it was cloudy but hot outside I live just north of Houston.
What spooked me was the drifting all over the road at high speed with rear traction!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that would wake a guy up in a hurry. I am rollin on stock GY RF's with pretty much no tread left. Spinning in 3rd with a stock LS7 and that makes me jump. I am ordering NT-05's next month. I imagine the rubber is a different compound then the GY RF's, they will have a different personality but I am sure once you get them nice and toasty you will find they get better.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After doing a ton of research on tires the last few days I have learned a few things about the Invo's.
  1. It takes the tires about 50 miles to "break in". It seems to be pretty common for the tires to feel slick at first. But are supposed to hook up pretty good after the initial break in time.
  2. Running the tires a little above standard pressure should help with the squishy feeling since Invos aren't runflats. The sidewalls have more flex so adding a little more air will compensate for this.

I personally haven't ran these but just been doing a lot of reading. And those pretty common complaints/fixes for those particular tires. Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Krolczyk
Racer

Just got them on yesterday. I will increase the pressures a little and put some miles on them and see what happens. If it is still the same i am getting them off of my car being it feels really dangerous at high speeds. Almost felt like I was losing control!!!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Mpwr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

put 32-34 psi cold ull be fine...im basically stock and they make great traction. Ive had the car up at about 130 with no issues and no swaying.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the above. I've done the last 3 Miami Mile Top Speed Events on my Invo's. (170mph+) You gotta bump the psi up a bit or they will 'float/walk around' on you a little. I ran 34psi all around when I had my 18/19 stockers and now run between 32-34 on my 19/20 setup.

Hope this helps you out. I think that they are a pretty decent tire in my opinion...
Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Z BEACH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Krolczyk
The rear tire traction issue was not what I was really worried about. The tires were not warm enough yet and it was cloudy but hot outside I live just north of Houston.
What spooked me was the drifting all over the road at high speed with rear traction!
Maybe nineball (Tony) might have some input. I met him in Mobile on the Power Tour, he seemed to have his CG C6Z squared away with similar tires.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Ummmm - new tires huh? They should have told you long ago, NOT to do what you did until you have at least 100 miles on them. Yes, new tires DO HAVE TO BE BROKEN IN to get the factory coating off the rubber, regardless of the tire.

If you ride a bike, most dealers will tell you that when you change your tires...because the consequences of NOT breaking them in can kill you.

Your tires will be fine in a few more miles...and heat them up before doing that. Cold tires will do that...it takes time to heat up tires when cold, and simply driving them for a few miles won't heat them up to proper temps.

With that kind of power to the ground, it's no different than say a 170 HP sport bike on new rubber...except that you have some nanny controls to help, whereas the bikes generally don't.

I have the same tires as you on my 08 Viper...and 1st day out on them was like a skating rink.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Sik Six
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Increasing the air pressure will help a little with "drifting" you are getting but won't eliminate it. The sidewall flex is just part of the invo's. Pretty scary if you ask me. As soon as I put my invo's on after running the RF's I had the same feeling. You do get used to it a little.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
MRIENG
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Good everyday tire choice. Yes, a little scary at first but they get better the more you use them. I've used them on the track for several sessions and are pretty good. Have gone through my current set and are ready for another. Might go with the NT-05. Invo's are a good tire for the vette.
Cheers
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Yeah, the slick stuff they put in the molds doesn't burn off right away. Get some miles on them before getting too frisky. I have about the same power and mine hook pretty decent in this hot weather.

I run 32psi cold. Hot, they get to around 34psi.

Car is stable at high speeds. Are you running the stock alignment?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I had Invo's on my Z06 for about a week....I had no intentions of bumping up the PSI to try to get rid of the marshmallow feeling they give.

Took them off & replaced with the Nitto NT-05's and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
I had Invo's on my Z06 for about a week....I had no intentions of bumping up the PSI to try to get rid of the marshmallow feeling they give.

I'll be switching to NT-05s once I burn these off

I haven't tracked the car yet other than 1/4 and 60-130. But I don't experience this "marshmallow" feeling everyone describes. If you're not running Nitto's recommended tire pressure, why wouldn't you bump the pressure? These take more air pressure than the runflats, so don't go by the sticker in the door frame.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone

Did you consider the General Exclaims? I have heard a lot of people say really great things about these for the daily-driven Z06.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Ummmm - new tires huh? They should have told you long ago, NOT to do what you did until you have at least 100 miles on them. Yes, new tires DO HAVE TO BE BROKEN IN to get the factory coating off the rubber, regardless of the tire.

If you ride a bike, most dealers will tell you that when you change your tires...because the consequences of NOT breaking them in can kill you.

Your tires will be fine in a few more miles...and heat them up before doing that. Cold tires will do that...it takes time to heat up tires when cold, and simply driving them for a few miles won't heat them up to proper temps.

With that kind of power to the ground, it's no different than say a 170 HP sport bike on new rubber...except that you have some nanny controls to help, whereas the bikes generally don't.

I have the same tires as you on my 08 Viper...and 1st day out on them was like a skating rink.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto Invos scary first run!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Krolczyk
Racer

Thanks for all of the feedback. This makes me feel a little better.
I was pretty shocked how loose they were and how little traction i got out of them.
I will put on a good bit of miles and bump the PSI up a couple pounds before I mash the skinny pedal to the floor again. 1st thru 3rd was pretty hairy!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Krolczyk
Racer

Oh I did notice the fronts rubbing on sharp turns. Anyone else having rubbing issues up front with the 295/35s on stocker 18s?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

My Invo's stick much better than the POS crapyears that came on it. They do need to warm up a bit however.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Nitto Invos scary first run!!!