Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cobalt = Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
kenneyd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cobalt = Z06

Gotta love GM.

My 06 roof was falling off so i took it into the dealer to have the recall done... get a ride home and back.
I went to pick it up and looked at the paint on the roof and it was terrible. looked like a rattle can job with drips, dirt and looked like they tried to buff the crap out of some areas and even buffed through the paint. it didn't match either, look like the mixed 1/2 machine silver with 1/2 duplicolor primer.

Any way, i talked to the manager, and he gave me that "im doing you a favor" attitude and said he would fix it next week and hook me up with a loaner, "but it wouldn't be a vette lol "

Also, on the drive home i found out my Z learned how to whistle from the new roof panel leaking air inside by the windshield.

So i took it in this morning and tell them "dont wash it, no tests drives period." video taped the mileage, avg MPG and current trip. and handed over the keys. Enterprise picked me up and after an hour of waiting I am in my new ride, a silver base cobalt.

Im not a stuck up person, nor do i like confrontation, so i took it. but seriously, I bring in a $78,000 car and they give you an $8,900 cobalt??
That mixed with a 40 minutes drive there, 40 minutes drive back, then tomorrow if its ready, another 40 minutes drive there, prolly and hour dealing with enterprise, then 40 minutes back + gas for everything... these little mistakes cost me a lot of time. (5+ hours just in driving and waiting since this started).
I think i saw a piece of paper for a free oil change but, there is no way im taking my vette there again, probally not my even my diesel truck which cost $90 for an oil change, I may just give it to a friend with a diesel truck to use.

Oh well, time to go rally the cobalt lol...
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't argue with that the only dealer Ive been impressed with is BMW!!
At my local dealer I always get a brand new 330i in and out in less than 20 min everytime :-)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Nothing new...sounds like a typical trip to a GM dealership.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Take it to an AutoCross and drive it like you stole it
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Took mine to Ferman in Brandon about 3 yrs ago for the roof. The paint job they did was better than factory. Great work. Have fun with the Cobalt, it's one of the best handling small cars on the road.

Last edited by goatts; 05-24-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is my only gripe about GM is that service and sometimes quality is terrible...
Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup it sucks and some people dont realize how bad it is unless you have owned a car such as a Lexus, Acura, BMW, or any of those where they actually value their customers. I think I told you this earlier Ken about my experience bringing my 07 TL-S into Acura for some warranty work. Drove in, dropped off my Acura and left 15 minutes later in a brand new fully loaded $50,000 09 RL.
I guess then again though Chevy doesnt really have anything real nice to offer as a loaner that falls in the same price range as a Corvette.
Oh well it is what it is atleast you had some sort of car.

JT
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

your dealer sucks...my dealer fixed my roof perfectly...

as for BMW they couldn't fix the problem with my BMW 335 convertible roof in multiple attempts over 3 years
Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by goatts
Took mine to Ferman in Brandon about 3 yrs ago for the roof. The paint job they did was better than factory. Great work. Have fun with the Cobalt, it's one of the best handling small cars on the road.
actually thats who did mine
Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by kenneyd
Gotta love GM.

My 06 roof was falling off so i took it into the dealer to have the recall done... get a ride home and back.
I went to pick it up and looked at the paint on the roof and it was terrible. looked like a rattle can job with drips, dirt and looked like they tried to buff the crap out of some areas and even buffed through the paint. it didn't match either, look like the mixed 1/2 machine silver with 1/2 duplicolor primer.

Any way, i talked to the manager, and he gave me that "im doing you a favor" attitude and said he would fix it next week and hook me up with a loaner, "but it wouldn't be a vette lol "

Also, on the drive home i found out my Z learned how to whistle from the new roof panel leaking air inside by the windshield.

So i took it in this morning and tell them "dont wash it, no tests drives period." video taped the mileage, avg MPG and current trip. and handed over the keys. Enterprise picked me up and after an hour of waiting I am in my new ride, a silver base cobalt.

Im not a stuck up person, nor do i like confrontation, so i took it. but seriously, I bring in a $78,000 car and they give you an $8,900 cobalt??
That mixed with a 40 minutes drive there, 40 minutes drive back, then tomorrow if its ready, another 40 minutes drive there, prolly and hour dealing with enterprise, then 40 minutes back + gas for everything... these little mistakes cost me a lot of time. (5+ hours just in driving and waiting since this started).
I think i saw a piece of paper for a free oil change but, there is no way im taking my vette there again, probally not my even my diesel truck which cost $90 for an oil change, I may just give it to a friend with a diesel truck to use.

Oh well, time to go rally the cobalt lol...

Mine is in with engine noise and I got a Malibu with 33k miles and smells like a toilet....oh well...so does Memphis...it would not matter what car I got. They are all rolling meth labs.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
WFO
Drifting

That's the diff between a Chevy dealer and Cadillac dealer. So I bought a Cadillac CTS-V monster and get treated like I'm somebody...really somebody. Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, Texas are service giants who seem to get the big picture.
That's really the "heart of the problem" for GM too. Service levels might be acceptable for a truck or lower less expensive car, ut a high end Corvette needs better attention. Folks love thier Vettes and really care how they will be treated...the Vettes I'm talking here.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to take my 2008 Z06 to the dealer to get a 3 inch crack in the paint fixed. It cracked by the rear driver's side corner of the deck lid. They had a local body shop do the work and they did a great job. They removed the rear quarter, bumper,and deck lid and also removed the glass to blend the paint. No tape lines and the paint match is perfect. The only complaint I had was with the loaner, they gave me a Venture mini van with 126,000 mile on it and it stunk. I left it parked in front of my house the whole time I had it. I only needed it to get to and from the dealer, so it wasn't a big deal, but what a POS. I also have a BMW X5 and I always get a fairly new BMW for a loaner. I don't need a new corvette for a loaner, but not a mini van.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WFO
That's the diff between a Chevy dealer and Cadillac dealer. So I bought a Cadillac CTS-V monster and get treated like I'm somebody...really somebody. Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, Texas are service giants who seem to get the big picture.
That's really the "heart of the problem" for GM too. Service levels might be acceptable for a truck or lower less expensive car, ut a high end Corvette needs better attention. Folks love thier Vettes and really care how they will be treated...the Vettes I'm talking here.
What gives man? My truck with the lift and tweaks here and there costs just shy of a high end corvette. What makes the corvette guy so much better? Now that I sold my ZO6, i guess I just got to come to grips that I'm just a truck person.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:00 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Futfixr
What gives man? My truck with the lift and tweaks here and there costs just shy of a high end corvette. What makes the corvette guy so much better? Now that I sold my ZO6, i guess I just got to come to grips that I'm just a truck person.
I see your point...

It's not that the Vette guy is better than a truck guy but most are just a little more particular (****), and a lot of Vette guys, at least here on the forum get jerked around by incompetent dealerships.

Abel Chevrolet's are few and far between.

Hey RichieRich, try to convince the owner's of Abel to slip a dealership into South Florida...

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 05-24-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
I see your point...

It's not that the Vette guy is better than a truck guy but most are just a little more particular (****), and a lot of Vette guys, at least here on the forum get jerked around by incompetent dealerships.

Abel Chevrolet's are few and far between.

Hey RichieRich, try to convince the owner's of Abel to slip a dealership into South Florida...
I was paticular with my ZO6, and am just as much with any of my rides. I think the "particular/ ****" thing transcends corvette ownership.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

The point here is that when you buy the top line at GM you get a Cobalt, a beat up van and in my case a beat up Aveo with 0 options (not even remote locks).
When I drop our 911 that we bought used at the dealer, we get a Mercedes 350 suv or a Lexus G37.
I would expect for GM to give us a high end Malibu or other sedan, so that we would "think of them" if/when the need for a "familly car" comes into play...right now, I'm think Mercedes SUV, and nothing from GM (surely not an Aveo)...
Yup, you got it, we'd like to feel special from having bought the number 2 most expensive GM production car of the line up...but that's not how it goes down for some of us lol
Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
The point here is that when you buy the top line at GM you get a Cobalt, a beat up van and in my case a beat up Aveo with 0 options (not even remote locks).
When I drop our 911 that we bought used at the dealer, we get a Mercedes 350 suv or a Lexus G37.
I would expect for GM to give us a high end Malibu or other sedan, so that we would "think of them" if/when the need for a "familly car" comes into play...right now, I'm think Mercedes SUV, and nothing from GM (surely not an Aveo)...
Yup, you got it, we'd like to feel special from having bought the number 2 most expensive GM production car of the line up...but that's not how it goes down for some of us lol
There you go...well said and back to the OP's original point.

Get notified of new replies

To Cobalt = Z06

Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

Different car same kind of story. 2003 SRT viper has been at the dealer 2 weeks for a replaced heater box. I did a surprise visit and almost crapped in my pants. The car is basically stripped. Whole dash out of the car. I was ok with it and the radio sitting on the 1000 dollar seats. As i was walking away with the service writer, i told him ,when i pick this car up, i will check every nut and bolt before i take it off the lot. He replied"no problem". They wont get a friggin dime till its as good as i drove it in.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
kenneyd
Instructor

Originally Posted by mirage2991

Exactly
I would have been content (not quite satisfied) with just about any thing other then the cheapest lol. a silverado, malibu, tahoe, grand cherokee, camary, towncar lol, even an escape.

Last year I took my wifes Saab 9-3 aero into a body shop to have a simple shopping car dent fixed, the first shop succeded in making the paint and dent look worse then before... so my insurance took it to the "best" body shop in my area (the guys who work on ferraris etc...) I had to have them fix stuff 3 times and then when i finally got the car, the radio/nav and 1/2 of the electrical system was fried. Turns out they wet sanded all over the fuse box, amp and nav computer in the back. The rented us a corrolla as an equal. My wife was not happy, no tint, shaky steering wheel, no XM, no seat heaters. We had to complain there and get something more on the lines of the saab. (got a camary ). but still 8 65+ mile round trips to there shop and the rental place, dozens of hours. we even left the car with them with a full gas and got it back with about a 1/3. they put 200 miles on it. Not happy.

I just really hate complaning about this since it can come off snob-ish, but there is a line where the level of customer service need to be adiquate.

Back to the vette. they said its been painted and reinstalled, but they are just waiting till tomorow am to "buff it" I realize its comon to buff a new job now days, but i wish they could shoot paint good enough to not have to do it all the time on every job. Hell any paint will look decent if you wesand and buff the crap outa it
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And thats the other difference is that you had to deal with a rental car agency which is BS. Going back to my first post, Acura, Lexus, BMW etc etc has their own loaner cars sitting right there on the dealerships lot (you know the ones that have the big sticker on the back window that says "Courtesy Car compliments of Continental Acura" or something similar. And like someone else said they want your business in the future so why not put you in a brand spankin new fully loaded car. And thats exactly what they do and I love it :-) And before anyone mentions oh well those cars cost more...whatever thats not true, my Z06 new cost double what my 07 TL-S cost!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cobalt = Z06