Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just Purchased Z06 having probs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 PM
HITMANN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased Z06 having probs???

Just got me a 2006 Z06 with 7,888 miles. It had a check engine light on when i purchased it, after i got it home i had a buddy use a Tech 2 to scan the car. It had 3 codes... P0101, P0172, P0175. I cleared the codes and only the O2 sensor codes came back. I waited a couple days checked again and all 3 codes were back I cleared them all and cleaned the MAF and put new 91 octane fuel in it (thought maybe it had old fuel cause of milage) been driving it for the past couple days and they have not returned. My quest is even after all that the orignal prob still remains.... At WOT in any gear up to 5K runs hard as hell after 5K it starts pingin and detonating pulling timing cause the power falls completely off. Any help guys i really want to get this cleared up thanks for any thoughts

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
NOLUCK13
Advanced

Originally Posted by HITMANN
91 octane fuel
Not running 93 octane ? 91 is a in my 06 Z. I go out of my way to put 93 in instead of 91. Owners manual says use 93 also. I would only put 91 in IF my LOW RANGE come up on the DIC but since I dont let if ever get that low, I don't worry about it. Run out all that 91 and try a fresh tank of good 'ol 93 and see if you see a difference...
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Some areas don't have 93, especially CA and higher altitudes. Actually at high altitude 91 is equiv to 93 at low altitude.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

some 08 Z's had 02 sensor issues. Have a dealer check it out. Maybe the timing is too much. Perhaps it was tuned?

Garry

Last edited by ranger1; 05-09-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
BrnEyzR1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
Some areas don't have 93, especially CA and higher altitudes. Actually at high altitude 91 is equiv to 93 at low altitude.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Just got me a 2006 Z06 with 7,888 miles. It had a check engine light on when i purchased it, after i got it home i had a buddy use a Tech 2 to scan the car. It had 3 codes... P0101, P0172, P0175. I cleared the codes and only the O2 sensor codes came back. I waited a couple days checked again and all 3 codes were back I cleared them all and cleaned the MAF and put new 91 octane fuel in it (thought maybe it had old fuel cause of milage) been driving it for the past couple days and they have not returned. My quest is even after all that the orignal prob still remains.... At WOT in any gear up to 5K runs hard as hell after 5K it starts pingin and detonating pulling timing cause the power falls completely off. Any help guys i really want to get this cleared up thanks for any thoughts

This may help:

SES Light On Or Oil Found In Air Intake - keywords absorber board card consumption crankcase duct hesitate leak level low mode pad patch PCV reducedpwrmde reduced power SES snorkel service #PIP3786A - (05/08/2007)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

Equipped with the 7.0 LS7 engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years and Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP3786.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer technician may find trouble codes P0101, P0172, P0175, oil in the air cleaner, or a loose hydrocarbon patch in the air intake snorkel.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the dealer has found the P0101, P0172, P0175, oil in the air cleaner, or a loose hydrocarbon patch in the air intake snorkel, complete the diagnostic suggestions below.

Please see bulletin number 05-06-01-032, and follow the owner's manual for proper engine oil filling procedures.
Inspect the foul air PCV tube for restrictions or obstructions. The foul PCV tube is a short formed rubber hose that is located between the fitting on the valley cover and the fitting on the plenum side of the throttle body.
Inspect the fitting on the engine block valley cover, there is a 2.5 m/m orifice in the valley cover fitting, and it should be clean and clear of obstructions.
Inspect the semi-fresh air PCV tube for restrictions or obstructions. The semi-fresh PCV tube is located between the rocker covers and the rear fitting of the oil tank.
Inspect the fresh air PCV tube for restrictions or obstructions. The fresh PCV tube is the located between the fitting on the clean air duct (atmospheric side of the throttle body after the mass airflow sensor) and the front fitting of the oil tank.
Note: Make sure the semi-fresh and fresh pcv tubes are installed correctly on the oil tank. The fresh PCV tube is attached to the front port of the oil tank, and the semi-fresh tube is attached to the rear port of the oil tank.

Improper oil levels or PCV restrictions could cause excess oil to be forced into the engine air intake snorkel. If this occurs, it can contaminate the adhesive that attaches the hydrocarbon patch to the snorkel. This may cause the patch to become detached and restrict air flow.

Clean any excessive oil from the air intake and replace the air intake snorkel if necessary.

Have you viewed all the codes in your history?

Good luck

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
HITMANN
Intermediate

The hydrocarbon patch was loose and flopping around. I removed the patch and cleaned all the excess gel or adhesive that holds the patch in place. I'll check the pcv stuff this wkd to see on my days off thanks guys for all the input and info.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The hydrocarbon patch was loose and flopping around. I removed the patch and cleaned all the excess gel or adhesive that holds the patch in place. I'll check the pcv stuff this wkd to see on my days off thanks guys for all the input and info.
Also follow the oil level checking procedure to a T. A slightly over filled sump will suck a lot of oil through the intake and mess things up again.

Glad I could help.

Tom
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 PM
HITMANN
Intermediate

Well I checked oil level it was good, there was no oil found anywhere just the patch was loose like adheasive was bad. Cleared codes they never reappeared... But in between 5k-7k it pings detonates acts like it's getting fuel cut out and pwr falls off like it's struggling to accellerate. Replaced maf with new one and did an idle relearn did decarb and fuel treatment with 93 octane I'm all out of ideas it acts like my cobra did b4 it blew the engine twice but it was heavily modified and this is stock. I checked other forums and tsb's and recalls nothing
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrnEyzR1
I also agree ....You can't even buy more than 91 Octane in my area......Been using 91 for 18,000 miles and no problems.....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Well I checked oil level it was good, there was no oil found anywhere just the patch was loose like adheasive was bad. Cleared codes they never reappeared... But in between 5k-7k it pings detonates acts like it's getting fuel cut out and pwr falls off like it's struggling to accellerate. Replaced maf with new one and did an idle relearn did decarb and fuel treatment with 93 octane I'm all out of ideas it acts like my cobra did b4 it blew the engine twice but it was heavily modified and this is stock. I checked other forums and tsb's and recalls nothing
Sounds like this engine has had alot of oil contamination in the intake track. Just a guess. If it were mine, I'd pull the throttle body and inspect the inside of the intake manifold, or even just pull the intake off and douche it out good. I'd also inspect the intake ports for oil. The previous owner could've overfilled the oil tank and caused this.

Also, pull some spark plugs and see what they look like.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 05-13-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

yep, yep, pull the TB then the intake if you have to...look for standing oil. Also replace the plugs with new PROPERLY GAPPED plugs.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
HITMANN
Intermediate

Well it's at the chevy house today the tech hasn't drove it yet but thinks it's the cat's.. When I find out I'll keep everyone informed just for future references
Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 AM
HITMANN
Intermediate

Well it spent a week at the dealership the Z06-ZR1 tech couldn't find a reason why it was pinging and detonating.. All he could recommend is put race gas in it and see if that cures it. So I purchased 5 gals of 109 unleaded drove it around for a bit then romped down no pinging or detonation and the power nvr fell off either like it was when the pinging kicked in. So i'm not gonna complain too much but why does my car require more than pump gas and do we think I should change my plugs to one step colder like ngk TR6's?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well it spent a week at the dealership the Z06-ZR1 tech couldn't find a reason why it was pinging and detonating.. All he could recommend is put race gas in it and see if that cures it. So I purchased 5 gals of 109 unleaded drove it around for a bit then romped down no pinging or detonation and the power nvr fell off either like it was when the pinging kicked in. So i'm not gonna complain too much but why does my car require more than pump gas and do we think I should change my plugs to one step colder like ngk TR6's?
That is treating the sympton but not the cause..... have it looked at by another Dealership if necessary and get the concern properly diagnosed and fixed....unless you plan to run race gas all the time going forward?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:39 AM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the tech check to see if it was tuned? I'd skip the dealerships (unless you have a warranty) and take it to a vette tuner.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM
jumbojet
Instructor

Their "ZO6ZR1 TECH" recommended to put race gas in it and see if that cures it? I'd find another dealer ASP if I got that sought of advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Purchased Z06 having probs???

Old 05-23-2010, 11:44 AM
HITMANN
Intermediate

The manager was just doing me a good will favor I don't have any warranty left. I'm gonna finish this race gas out and put super unlead in and see what happens. I thought maybe it just has nvr been ran hard to clear it out or maybe the wrong gas.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 AM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run nothing but 91 octane in my 06 Z because that is all that is available. Runs great. Just curious, what did you pay for your 06 z?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

Sure hope you got a good deal on the car. Did you have it checked at the dealer for a pre-purchase or at the least run the vin thought your local dealer. The guy could have had a tune and mods, then removed all his go fast stuff and not returned the tune to factory setting.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just Purchased Z06 having probs???