Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Our latest interior creation

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

any word on the steering wheel size question i posted??

thx
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
John@Caravaggio Corvettes
Safety Car

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
any word on the steering wheel size question i posted??

thx
The wheel is about 3/4" smaller at the 6 o'clock mark. The way that the wheel is shaped give it the illusion that it's smaller.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John@Caravaggio Corvettes
I've done 4 already and have another one coming in next week. Wait till this one is done
Look forward to seeing a post of it when it is done.

Dave
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
mhack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW Great job!

Are those aluminum color parts plastic or aluminum?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mhack
WOW Great job!

Are those aluminum color parts plastic or aluminum?
The parts are all coated to look like aluminum. We found a company in MA to do them. But after these ones he doesn't want to do anymore. I think it was too time consuming and couldn't make any money at it.

Last edited by John@Caravaggio Corvettes; 06-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

I understand your concern, but these are based on the stock seat. We have not modified the original seat just added a shell to it. As for the air bag, if you bought a C6 with the base seats they did not come equipped with air bags. Does that make it a less safer car. If GM offered it both ways I guess they weren't concerned.
John,

Just a reminder that for calendar year 2004 when the C6 was introduced the side-impact laws were such that as an OEM GM could offer the car with side-impact airbags optional. Approximately three years later the laws changed and they are now no longer optional hence the reason why GM now makes them standard across the board (see safety tab here).

It is not that GM wasn't concerned it was simply what the law allowed at the time.

As someone who is keenly aware that some 10,000 people are killed every year in country in side-impact crashes and who has seen the projected efficacy of side-impact airbags in thorax protection I ordered them on my 2005 C6 and would never buy a car without them. In fact I hope the next Vette incorporates curtain airbags as many side-impact victims are killed when their bodies fold around the intrusion and their heads impact the hood of the striking car as it penetrates the side glass.

Broken ribs puncturing lungs are another issue but the thorax bags should help some there.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright
John,

Just a reminder that for calendar year 2004 when the C6 was introduced the side-impact laws were such that as an OEM GM could offer the car with side-impact airbags optional. Approximately three years later the laws changed and they are now no longer optional hence the reason why GM now makes them standard across the board (see safety tab here).

It is not that GM wasn't concerned it was simply what the law allowed at the time.

As someone who is keenly aware that some 10,000 people are killed every year in country in side-impact crashes and who has seen the projected efficacy of side-impact airbags in thorax protection I ordered them on my 2005 C6 and would never buy a car without them. In fact I hope the next Vette incorporates curtain airbags as many side-impact victims are killed when their bodies fold around the intrusion and their heads impact the hood of the striking car as it penetrates the side glass.

Broken ribs puncturing lungs are another issue but the thorax bags should help some there.
remember these are AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS! not OEM. there are thousands of Corvettes with aftermarket seats all over the world. If you want an airbag, John offers a seat WITH an airbag. There are even 2009 ZR1s on the road today with no side airbags from the factory, cause they weren't on the 1ZR package. why the lecture?

i seriously dont understand why this is even in conversation.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by m48xhp
remember these are AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS! not OEM. there are thousands of Corvettes with aftermarket seats all over the world. If you want an airbag, John offers a seat WITH an airbag. There are even 2009 ZR1s on the road today with no side airbags from the factory, cause they weren't on the 1ZR package. why the lecture?

i seriously dont understand why this is even in conversation.
The "lecture", if you can call it that, is to set the record straight on the assertion that the Corvette's engineers "weren't concerned" in some way about side-impact crash protection. From speaking to them I know that they were.

On September 11, 2007 NHTSA published a final rule that required upgraded side impact protection. This rule, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 214, Side Impact Protection, established new performance requirements. http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/...002fd17898RCRD

On June 9, 2008, NHTSA published in the Federal Register a notice responding to petitions for reconsideration of the September 11, 2007 final rule that upgraded FMVSS 214, “Side Impact Protection.” In response to the petitions, the notice made a number of changes to the requirements. One of the changes was that it delayed the start of phase-in by one year from September 1, 2009 to September 1, 2010.

That is the specific reason why you could get an OEM 1ZR car with no side-airbags in 2009 but not in 2010.

This and the rest of the phase-in timetable and percentages can be seen here: http://www.motorvehicleregs.com/the_...de-impact.html

I am well aware that this is an aftermarket modification. Now go back and read the sections where I discuss with John restarting negotiations for GM to offer those seats as an accessory. As an OEM GM can legally only offer airbag equipped seats now so the accessory program is the only one available for second party vendors without them. This is the program John and GM originally entered into negotiations for. Ask me how I know.

From speaking to the engineering team I understand their concerns in this matter and that the seats (with or without airbags) will require other comprehensive validation testing for them to offer them through their accessory program. They are concerned about how much this testing and other matters such as storage and transport will add to the final cost of the seats to the customer.

But, as regards side-airbags, GM knows that these are now demanded by many of their customers but tend to be costly to engineer to the standards that GM must adhere to in order to avoid dizzyingly expensive litigation as Vette6799 astutely pointed out.

Yes, John does offer side-impact airbag equipped seats as an aftermarket accessory. I know that. However, your assertion that John offers such a seat greatly oversimplifies the issue, discussed on preceding pages, of GM as an OEM offering said seats effectively on that vendor's behalf.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 AM
9secz
Pro

Can someone insert a few lawyer jokes here? The recent posts on thread makes me disappointed with my litigious country.

I'm done with over-regulated cars. I sold my C6 and bought a Noble M400. ZR1 power to weight ratio, 2500 pounds dripping wet, death trap on wheels without air bags, ABS, or traction control. A car that demands and rewards skill. I'm gonna love it!

Jeff
Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 AM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9secz
Can someone insert a few lawyer jokes here?
Sure.

A. What's the difference between a lawyer and a chicken? A chicken clucks definance.

B. The National Institute of Health (NIH) announced last week that they were going to start using lawyers instead of rats in their experiments. Naturally, the American Bar Association was outraged and filed suit. Yet, the NIH presented some very good reasons for the switch.

1. The lab assistants were becoming very attached to their little rats. This emotional involvement was interfering with the research being conducted. No such attachment could form for a lawyer.

2. Lawyers breed faster and are in much greater supply.

3. Lawyers are much cheaper to care for and the humanitarian societies won't jump all over you no matter what you're studying.

4. There are some things even a rat won't do.

C. Here's a list of brilliant questions asked by lawyers taken from court transcripts around the country:

Q: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, in most cases he just passes quietly away and doesn't know anything about it until the next morning?

Q: What happened then?
A: He told me, he says, "I have to kill you because you can identify me."
Q: Did he kill you?

Q: She had three children, right?
A: Yes.
Q: How many were boys?
A: None.
Q: Were there any girls?

Q: Were you alone or by yourself?

Q: I show you Exhibit 3 and ask you if you recognize that picture?
A: That's me.
Q: Were you present when that picture was taken?

Q: You say that the stairs went down to the basement?
Q: And these stairs, did they go up also?

Q: Now then, Mrs. Johnson, how was your first marriage terminated?
A: By death.
Q: And by whose death was it terminated?

Q: Do you know how far pregnant you are now?
A: I'll be three months on March 12th.
Q: Apparently then, the date of conception was around January 12th?
Q: What were you doing at that time?

Q: Was that the same nose you broke as a child?

Q: Mrs. Jones, do you believe you are emotionally stable?
A: I used to be.
Q: How many times have you committed suicide?

Q: Have you lived in this town your whole life?
A: Not yet.

Q: Do you recall approximately the time that you examined that body of Mr. Huntington at St. Mary's Hospital?
A: It was in the evening. The autopsy started about 5:30 P.M.
Q: And Mr. Huntington was dead at the time, is that correct?
A: No, you idiot, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was performing an autopsy on him!

That enough for now?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JDRacing
Sure.

A. What's the difference between a lawyer and a chicken? A chicken clucks definance.

B. The National Institute of Health (NIH) announced last week that they were going to start using lawyers instead of rats in their experiments. Naturally, the American Bar Association was outraged and filed suit. Yet, the NIH presented some very good reasons for the switch.

1. The lab assistants were becoming very attached to their little rats. This emotional involvement was interfering with the research being conducted. No such attachment could form for a lawyer.

3. Lawyers are much cheaper to care for and the humanitarian societies won't jump all over you no matter what you're studying.

C. Here's a list of brilliant questions asked by lawyers taken from court transcripts around the country:

Q: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, in most cases he just passes quietly away and doesn't know anything about it until the next morning?

Q: Do you recall approximately the time that you examined that body of Mr. Huntington at St. Mary's Hospital?
A: No, you idiot, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was performing an autopsy on him!

That enough for now?
Some gems there...
Old 06-12-2010, 08:41 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

The recent posts on thread makes me disappointed with my litigious country.
no ****. i cant stand it. to Bwight, sorry to upset you. i was thinking everyone was talking about these as an aftermarket accessory. as an OEM part, im sure GM would engineer an airbag into the seat or into the door panel. i wouldnt worry about that so much.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 AM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Can someone insert a few lawyer jokes here? The recent posts on thread makes me disappointed with my litigious country.

I'm done with over-regulated cars. I sold my C6 and bought a Noble M400. ZR1 power to weight ratio, 2500 pounds dripping wet, death trap on wheels without air bags, ABS, or traction control. A car that demands and rewards skill. I'm gonna love it!

Jeff

What is brown and black and looks good on an attorney?
Answer: A doberman.

Personal freedoms, the right to make your own choices and be able to accept the outcome of those choices is what made this country great.
Now we want to turn this great country into a nanny state. Let the market decide if we want side airbags!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sure.

That enough for now?
Come up with something new, will you? These are as old as dirt.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Bwright
However, your assertion that John offers such a seat greatly oversimplifies the issue, ....
Really? I was thinking that you were overcomplexing (is that a word? ) this whole thread.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by m48xhp
no ****. i cant stand it. to Bwight, sorry to upset you. i was thinking everyone was talking about these as an aftermarket accessory. as an OEM part, im sure GM would engineer an airbag into the seat or into the door panel. i wouldnt worry about that so much.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799
Come up with something new, will you? These are as old as dirt.
Fair enough. This one's just for you:

Three lawyers are riding to court together one day and, unfortunately, are killed in a horrible traffic accident.

When they reach the pearly gates, St. Peter welcomes them in turn, and says to the first “welcome to heaven. Can you tell me what you did while you were on earth?”, to which he replied “I was a divorce lawyer, and tried to help couples who had difficulties in their relationship”. Well, St. Peter thought about this and said “I see, you were taking advantage of people who were willing to pay anything to get back at their partner”, and he swiftly pulled the lever dropping the hapless lawyer into everlasting hell.

Along comes the second lawyer, and of course St. Peter asks the same thing, the reply being “I was a personal injury attorney, trying to assist those who had been unfairly injured”. St. Peter just said “Ah yes, that’s what we call an ambulance chaser up here”, and sent him to the same fiery fate as the first attorney.

Alas, finally the third attorney approaches and tells St. Peter he was a patent attorney. St. Peter says “come on in!” and shows him to heaven’s finest suite, just to the right of God, the most lovely angels in attendance, you get the picture. After a few minutes of this, the patent lawyer finally asks “but St. Peter, you’ve sent my friends to a fiery eternity, but you welcome me?” “Ah” says St. Peter, “but you’re a patent attorney, you don’t know enough law to hurt anybody!”

Get notified of new replies

To Our latest interior creation

Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Fair enough. This one's just for you:

Three lawyers are riding to court together one day and, unfortunately, are killed in a horrible traffic accident.

When they reach the pearly gates, St. Peter welcomes them in turn, and says to the first “welcome to heaven. Can you tell me what you did while you were on earth?”, to which he replied “I was a divorce lawyer, and tried to help couples who had difficulties in their relationship”. Well, St. Peter thought about this and said “I see, you were taking advantage of people who were willing to pay anything to get back at their partner”, and he swiftly pulled the lever dropping the hapless lawyer into everlasting hell.

Along comes the second lawyer, and of course St. Peter asks the same thing, the reply being “I was a personal injury attorney, trying to assist those who had been unfairly injured”. St. Peter just said “Ah yes, that’s what we call an ambulance chaser up here”, and sent him to the same fiery fate as the first attorney.

Alas, finally the third attorney approaches and tells St. Peter he was a patent attorney. St. Peter says “come on in!” and shows him to heaven’s finest suite, just to the right of God, the most lovely angels in attendance, you get the picture. After a few minutes of this, the patent lawyer finally asks “but St. Peter, you’ve sent my friends to a fiery eternity, but you welcome me?” “Ah” says St. Peter, “but you’re a patent attorney, you don’t know enough law to hurt anybody!”

Hey...pretty good...hadn't heard that one before....patent attorney jokes are few in number, and the one that I do know can't be shared on this forum.

Funny how things happen. When I started out as a young patent attorney, we were truly the black sheep of the legal profession. Then, in the early 80's when computer technology started exploding, intellectual property enjoyed a revolution which continues to this day. Go figure.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:04 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done 4 already and have another one coming in next week. Wait till this one is done
John,

Waiting for pics.

Dave
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by luvchevs
John,

Waiting for pics.

Dave
Car is here and we are working on it, this customer is wrapping parts that we have never done. This car will be incredible.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Our latest interior creation