Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rattle under dash - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
rick7913
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought my passenger side rattle was coming from the glove box too. It actually was coming from the wind shield cowling, a small section of the rubber strip separated from the cowling and was causing the rattle/buzzing noise. I fixed it today with Loctite super glue Ultra gel I purchased from Walmart for less than $4.00. It will fuse the rubber strip back to the cowling just don't use alot of it.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Likecars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally..fixed. Buzzing not a rattle.

This forum is always very helpful. I wanted to post my results to help out another member who may be having a similar problem. Instead of starting another thread I figured a search would get someone here.

My problem started about 2 months ago and I was very frustrated with my Z.

Symptoms: once I was above 68 mph a faint buzzing sound would start and get louder with speed. Some of you can remember attaching a baseball card to your bike and the sound the card makes as the spokes of the wheel go across the card. That’s how I would describe my sound. The intensity would pick up with speed.

I was convinced the sound was coming from inside the Vette, centered in the middle of the center console.
In true Neanderthal fashion beating on the dash, going 80 mph, resulted in no change in the sound and did nothing to alleviate the noise. Slowing down was the only way to stop the noise.

Based on this thread I decided to try masking tape along the base of the windshield where the black rubber piece meets the glass. It worked no more noise.

I needed a more permanent solution and decided to use some Permatex. To help ensure success I used more than I probably needed. Not a problem, nothing a razor blade has not been able to clean up. I ran a bead along the areas that were sticking up slightly.

Fartpipe, NOSZ06, thanks for the responses to my PMs.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 AM
vettluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting your solution.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM
rick7913
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buzzing sound

I also tried the silicon approach, but had the dealer replace the windshield cowling since my car was still under warranty. No more buzzing sound at highway speeds. The issue was the cowling was seperating at the rubber seal and plastic of the cowling. The wind from higher speeds would make it vibrate causing the buzzing sound. If your vette is out of warranty I think a new cowling is pretty inexpensive and worth the cost.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rattle under dash - Advice Please