Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a titanium header costing around $2000?
Yes, and I would put a deposit down on one
45.65%
Nope, not at all interested
55.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] Titanium Headers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Titanium Headers anyone?

If you think the Akrapovic full Titanium exhaust is expensive, think about this.

We are installing them along with Kooks Headers today, right after the Pfadt Carbon fiber drive shaft.

I have been asked by the engineers at Akrapovic if we want them to develop the first full titanium exhaust header to compliment their full titanium exhaust system.
The R&D is crazy for this type of header, but if we could secure 40 to 50 orders (deposit required) they will make them. It would feature a cast titanium flange that is a true D-port and shorty headers that would merge with their 9 lbs X-pipe. Cats would have to be installed by your local shop in the X-pipe.

The headers, Xpipe and full muffler, tips, all in titanium (carbon fiber tips are optional) utilizing the Bi-mode valving would save 58lbs compared to stock. Our installation today is shaving off -46 lbs, but we are merging the Kooks to the EVO Ti system.

If you are interested at all, the pricing would be around $1500 Euros for the headers in titanium, which right now is around $1950 dollars each. This does not include the EVO system, which is priced on our website.

If we get enough interest and pre-orders, we would commit to them, and get this started. Power would be likely equivalent to current headers, with 13 from the mufflers. The real deal comes from the 58lbs weight savings, which on the stock Z06 power/weight ratio equates to 9.3 HP just from weight.

The cool factor could not be estimated, and NOS or SC brings a much better value. But for the true nutcases like me, that are striving for every lb of weight savings, and every HP, this is one more link in the chain.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 03-30-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

If I had my C6z I'd be signing up right now. Timing is bad ATM. Sounds as hell though.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The headers would be great if they were long tubes, and incoporated tapered tubes like they have on their motorcycle systems. Without that feature, they would just be overpriced headers.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
The headers would be great if they were long tubes, and incoporated tapered tubes like they have on their motorcycle systems. Without that feature, they would just be overpriced headers.
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Why not billet titanium flanges? For the low production volume on a niche product like this it may be cheaper than a casting.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Why not billet titanium flanges? For the low production volume on a niche product like this it may be cheaper than a casting.
They have their own foundry, so that is possible. This is just a trial balloon based on their inquiry to me.

Enough interest, we'll decide to engage them further. We will likely not be telling them the specs. Good idea though, but it would likely drive the cost up.

The will definitely be a niche type system, which will appeal to only those that think like you and me Jason.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Halltech
But for the true nutcases like me, that are stArving for every lb of weight savings
Fixed.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Fixed.
Maybe that's why I lost 16 lbs since Feb 1st. No food.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 AM
super v
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Maybe that's why I lost 16 lbs since Feb 1st. No food.
Haha, me too, i am 12 going for 25lbs lol. High octane Fruit juice..!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jim, after our phone conversation yesterday I'm sure you know I'm interested, my only reservation would be IF they're not LTs, I'd like to know how much, if any, HP was gunna be lost.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim,
As I said before, my slush fund is growing and you already know how much I would like a titanium header. If they decide on a configuration, I'll let you know. I will definitely go for a header before an exhaust in order to improve my traction issues first. My vote is for a long tube 1 7/8 header similar to the Kooks, AR or LG. If it is a true long tube, the horsepower benefits should draw in a ton of drag racers. I think the weight savings and weight bias shift should be worth .10 to .15 seconds in the 60' times on a stock tire car. Could you get a commitment as to the alloy they plan to use for the header?
Gary
P.S. If you need a set of titanium header bolts to go with them, PM me. Great call on the lithium Braille. Let us know how it works out.
P.P.S. Crap! Who am I kidding. We both know I'm in!

Last edited by 40YRW8; 03-31-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Hey Jim, after our phone conversation yesterday I'm sure you know I'm interested, my only reservation would be IF they're not LTs, I'd like to know how much, if any, HP was gunna be lost.

Cheers, Paul.
Generally shorties make more power at the top, but sacrifice low end torque. Everyone has their favorites. We are adapting our Kooks to work with the Akarpovics but for those with stock exhaust manifolds/cat down pipes the EVO system is the ticket and requires no alterations.

One very noticiable difference is that the stock mufflers have a 2.5" single pipe going into each muffler. Why? Makes no sense at all to have 3" tubes pipe down to 2.5"

The EVO Ti system is all 3" with a Y off the lead pipe so that there are actually two 3" pipes going into the muffler.

We have 3 more systems ordered. We should see them by April 10th.

Last edited by Halltech; 03-31-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in if they are longtubes some titanium longtubes would be nice...

R.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the exhaust parts really that good. (over 13hp increase)??
Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

VERY long runner lengths, at least similar to the LG pro's (NOT their current "super pro" setup which has similar runner length as kooks/arh) - don't care if it does not gain much and would request this even if power is lost

why would you sacrifice power for this?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Jason,
It could be that since they are set up to do titanium casting and with rapid prototype mold blanks, it might be cheaper for them to cast them instead of starting with a blank bar stock and throw away 75% of the titanium that is machined out of the port holes. I spent about an hour and a half on their web site and I was very impressed with their capabilities.
Gary
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Thanks for the opportunity to express our desires.

This is meant constructively, but I agree with the others.

The headers must have long equal length primary tubes, merge collector, and a flange where it connects to the exhaust.

My opinion: I really think Akarpovic missed the boat when they designed their exhaust to mate to the factory cast manifolds (why would I spend the effort for a titanium exhaust and leave cast iron manifolds on the car?!). Most Corvette folks buy an axle back system, or they buy long tube headers with X Pipe and an axle back system. Why let the OEM design dictate the engineering on your very expensive aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks for the opportunity to express our desires.

Get notified of new replies

To Titanium Headers anyone?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It would seem that the general consensus that a long-tube design would be better accepted than a shorty header. IMO, we all know that the factory manifolds are like a shorty header and if someone was gong to drop the kind of coin needed to purchase a Ti header, why would that person buy a system that is practically no better (performance, not just weight savings) than the factory parts?

How is the modifications coming with the kooks long tubes? I'm can only assume the face one must put when faced with the fact that they have to hack up a gorgeous Ti exhaust pipe to fit "inferior" SS headers!

But 46lbs. is just crazy! With this exhaust, a battery swap, 2-piece rotors and that katech flywheel, one can drop, easily about 100lbs. Do seats, headers, wheels, CF driveshaft and a 3000lbs z06 would be fun to drive! Gives new meaning to "just" intake/tune!

Also, did the exhaust really produce that much power over the stock catback?
The following users liked this post:
jbenz_21 (03-10-2017)
Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by obzidian
It would seem that the general consensus that a long-tube design would be better accepted than a shorty header. IMO, we all know that the factory manifolds are like a shorty header and if someone was gong to drop the kind of coin needed to purchase a Ti header, why would that person buy a system that is practically no better (performance, not just weight savings) than the factory parts?

How is the modifications coming with the kooks long tubes? I'm can only assume the face one must put when faced with the fact that they have to hack up a gorgeous Ti exhaust pipe to fit "inferior" SS headers!

But 46lbs. is just crazy! With this exhaust, a battery swap, 2-piece rotors and that katech flywheel, one can drop, easily about 100lbs. Do seats, headers, wheels, CF driveshaft and a 3000lbs z06 would be fun to drive! Gives new meaning to "just" intake/tune!

I can tell a huge difference. The interesting thing is that the car feels completely different to drive. Maybe the CF driveshaft is playing a part. It is balanced so perfectly, and shaves off 6 lbs more of rotating weight.

The Kooks X-pipe, weighed in a heavty 25.2 lbs after we harvested the front part of the bends for our conversion. They weigh around 30 lbs. The EVO X-pipe weighs 9.1 lbs.

I absolutely love them. They just sound so different to anything I have ever heard. More of a rasp, almost crack when you hit the throttle. Amazing comes to mind.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by obzidian

There is more on the way from Katech. Stay tuned. We have just begun the fun.

We are going to a chassis dyno next weekend to see what we have done. The Nitto NT05R DRs have to go. We still have zero traction in 1st gear, and the tires haze in 2nd so bad that the car gets squirrley, and starts to sway. Not a good feeling.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Titanium Headers anyone?