Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Protective Paint Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Cautionary info, FYI

I read this on another car forum:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18635
Old 04-16-2010, 03:53 PM
vettey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSingleton
Great Write up on the film Job and love the pics. I had my ZR1 done by Premier in NorCal quite a while ago and the bra looks as good as the day they put it on. The work is phenomenal, but what really impresses me is their attention to detail and quality of service. I had half the car covered and would do the same for any future cars. They had several Ferraris getting the entire car covered when I was there. If I had the budget then, I probably would have done the same.
Yes, I've used them for several cars as well. Very happy with them. Just look at the cars they've worked on! www.premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDRacing
For me, it was a couple of things. First, wrapping the whole car makes it match, panel to panel. Second, based on experience, chips happen everywhere, not just the front. I initially had only the rear vent portion of my Z06's quarter panels wrapped. I started noticing little flecks on the flares. Went back and had the full quarters wrapped, and not only did the lines disappear from only the vents being wrapped, but the quarters no longer took any wear.

After 3 years and 25K miles on my Z06, the car, although well driven, still looked new. If I had planned to drive it a thousand miles a year or so (10K miles in 8 years), I might have reconsidered wrapping the car, and certainly wouldn't have done the whole car. Wouldn't be taking it much on freeways with lots of trucks and other vehicles which toss rocks, though.

My ZR1 is going on a 1000 mile trip this weekend, down to the Long Beach GP. It doesn't risk getting chipped on backroad trips to the beach--it's the trips up and down Hiway 5 that are the risk.

On the other hand, I have a 1970 numbers matching, fully documented Hemi Challenger 4 speed. It gets driven about 10 miles a year, and is a show car. It's not wrapped. Guess it depends on your intended application for the vehicle.
I guess where you live and how you drive would certainly determine it and I realize the corvettes need protection around the brake ducts as well but for me I really like the look of paint and want to see as much of it as possible on my new cars and my muscle cars.

Last edited by jamie furman; 04-16-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Stewart W
Advanced

I wrapped my ZR1 day one with Ventureshield. This has become SOP for me on all my new car purchases..Very happy with the quality of this film..no yellowing etc..Oldest application is currently two years on my
R8 and no issues...Standing up to Florida sun is a good indicator of the film quality in my mind.
Regardless of what product choice is made..DO IT!

Last edited by Stewart W; 04-20-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Staxxin
Advanced

Finally having ProForm installed on the car today. The installer is due at the house mid-day to do the install and make a repair on my other car. Good times to come! I decided not to wrap the entire car but the kit they have does all the critical areas including full rocker covering.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Protective Paint Film