Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil level in tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Pistol Champ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil level in tank

Today was the first time I started my car in 4 months I checked the oil and it was 14 inches below the top of the tank. It was full (middle mark) when I parked it. I guess it really leaks back into the engine after time. It started right up and the oil level was the same as I parked it when a checked it.
Now the question is this normal? If someone parked this car with out checking the oil and then checked the oil before starting it what would you do when it is this low. This is 5 inches below the bottom of the stick.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z06 is different than most cars. The oil does drain from the tank back into the engine and we Z06 owners need to measure the amount of oil in the tank rather than the engine. GM recommends you check oil level after engine is up to temp and then shut off for a given period of time (longer than 5 minutes, but less than 20 minutes). If you wait too long, you may get a false (too low) reading. See your owner's manual.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil level in tank