Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How many miles on your NT05s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
z06king
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles on your NT05s?

I still have the original OEM tires and I'm planning to switch to something better. I have pretty much decided to go to the NT05s due to the many existing conversations\reviews. These forums have helped me learn about everything about various tires available for the Z, but I can't seem to get much of an idea of how many miles people are getting out of these tires. I know the treadwear is lower that the OEM tires and that it depends on driving style. Please post how many miles you have put on these tires (or expect to get) and the style of driving\punishment you put on the tire.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 AM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

8000 miles + 1.5 track days

The tires are very fun and well worth the price.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I don't have enough miles on mine to give meaningful info but I really think you'll like them. Very sticky, better ride, quieter, and a bit stinky for awhile after you get them. Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm in bed but will post back how many miles I have for sure but I think its about 14K

DH
Old 03-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Checked my receipt and my current milage ...... 19 THOUSAND MILES

Mostly freeway commuting miles. No track miles.

DH
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

No track times, no burn-outs, alignment is good.... I'm at 5-6K with them right now and the rears are just about shot. They are exactly how the GY's were at 5k mile..... slippery but still manageable. Another 1-2K and they will be shot. Again, just like the GY's, you CAN go 12-13K with a set ( I did) but at that point they are so horrible that not even TC-On can save you from lighting up the rears. I cannot go WOT in 2nd @ 60mph without getting so spinning. Modest but enough to notice and its only getting worse as the more miles I put on them.

These tires are a good tire for the money but I don't think I'll get another set, they ride soft (IMO) and I just don't think the stock suspension settings is used to having such a soft tire under it. I think the car just feels "off" with these tires but for the money, they are worth looking at but don't expect a longer lasting tire, when compared to the GY and wet weather driving (DD) isn't much better.. oh and they tramline just as sweet as the GY's!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love them. About 1000mi being optimistic. Tracked the hell out of them.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
No track times, no burn-outs, alignment is good.... I'm at 5-6K with them right now and the rears are just about shot. They are exactly how the GY's were at 5k mile..... slippery but still manageable. Another 1-2K and they will be shot. Again, just like the GY's, you CAN go 12-13K with a set ( I did) but at that point they are so horrible that not even TC-On can save you from lighting up the rears. I cannot go WOT in 2nd @ 60mph without getting so spinning. Modest but enough to notice and its only getting worse as the more miles I put on them.

These tires are a good tire for the money but I don't think I'll get another set, they ride soft (IMO) and I just don't think the stock suspension settings is used to having such a soft tire under it. I think the car just feels "off" with these tires but for the money, they are worth looking at but don't expect a longer lasting tire, when compared to the GY and wet weather driving (DD) isn't much better.. oh and they tramline just as sweet as the GY's!
I absolutely agree with you about the GYs- when they went bad they were useless even with good tread remaining on them. I don't have as many miles on my set of NT05s as you do so I can't comment on the grip reduction- mine are still very sticky. If memory serves me correctly you've had a tough time with handling on your car- apologies if my memory is failing me. I hope it got better after having an alignment done. I don't know what to say regarding the tramline issue you describe, but I haven't had anywhere near the problem with the Nittos that I did with the GYs. I honestly don't know how to explain it. What air pressure have you been running?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Les
I absolutely agree with you about the GYs- when they went bad they were useless even with good tread remaining on them. I don't have as many miles on my set of NT05s as you do so I can't comment on the grip reduction- mine are still very sticky. If memory serves me correctly you've had a tough time with handling on your car- apologies if my memory is failing me. I hope it got better after having an alignment done. I don't know what to say regarding the tramline issue you describe, but I haven't had anywhere near the problem with the Nittos that I did with the GYs. I honestly don't know how to explain it. What air pressure have you been running?
Nope, your memory is just fine!

I had, at the time, thought I had an issue with my alignment and/or suspension when I initially swapped over to the NT05's. After having it all inspected, it appears that there was really nothing that stood out as being the culprit. I started messing with the psi levels until I found what I feel, and most folks around here, is the best setting for street use. (About 30psi cold F/R)

Here's the thing. It's not that i complete dislike the Nt05, I still feel for the money and when compared to the INVO's, they are the best tire (non-RF) you can get for the money unless you want to talk about those generals that look more like an all-season tire than a true summer-only performance tire. I guess my expectations where either set to high or just off. I knew, or felt by looking at the tread design and then in person, that maybe the NT05 wasn't going to be a long lasting tire. In comparison, I've had the GY's, of course, and I'm also comparing them with the Bridgestones RE050a PP RFT's. Anyways, Though these tires (nt05) haven't worn as well or aged as well as I thought or expected them to (being a non-RF), they sure are better, slightly at this point, then how the GY's were with the same kind of mileage.

After riding on a second set of GY's, I can to realize that they are really not as bad as I thought they were.... to a point. The GY's really are a fantastic tire up until 4-5k miles. The age horribly and get really slippery as the more miles you put after that point. They are just not a long lasting tire. With that, I expected the NT05's to maybe hold out a while longer. Also, just by looking at the thread design, the NT05 look like they are going to be sticky! After breaking them in, the grip really wasn't much better than when the GY's were in top shape. In the corners, they are noticeably softer (steering a boat comes to mind) than the GY's but mid cornering inspired more confidence. When in the wet, they didn't really do well because, lets face it, there really isn't a whole lot of lines and grooves to channel water, even with those massive grooves running parallel down the middle.

BUT, they have aged, IMO, better than the GY's. With close to 6k miles, I really think that they are still better than the GY's at the same mileage. The tire carcass isn't overly stiff like the GY's were. However, it just seems like the thread depth is really wearing down and these tires are almost slicks like now! Not really but close!

I don't know but I felt I was gonna get more out of these tires (life). the grip is ok, capable of dealing with the LS7 in stock trim no problem and they don't age as bad as the GY's, but in comparison, the Bridgestones RFT' lasted twice as long as the GY's and the Nt05's (projected life, not actual) and the grip was really noticeably better. I can say with confidence that for a RF, those tires are probably the better of the three.

I'm not trying to discourage you. There're plenty of folks here that love the NT05 and i hope they go well for you.... it's just that maybe that tire isn't for me, I guess. They look sweet, they STILL stink up when warm but right about now (6K miles) I'm ready for a rear tire change.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found out the distributor can't get Invo's anymore as Nitto isn't making them so i'm stuck with NT05's Another $300 I didn't want to spend.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Just to repeat. I have 19K miles on mine and still running them every day!!!

Sure thy don't grip like new and the rears are down to the tread bar. But I will run them to the cord. And they still work great compared to the GY with 1/2 the miles on them.

DH
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered my NT05's for $950 shipped!! PM me if you are looking for tires.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First set: 10k+ miles with 250 Laps
Second Set: 5K miles with 50 laps so far. Still lots of rubber

YES, I will buy a 3rd pair. Great tire for the money
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
Just found out the distributor can't get Invo's anymore as Nitto isn't making them so i'm stuck with NT05's Another $300 I didn't want to spend.

Not true, I just called NITTO and they confirmed no changes to INVO production.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Minkster
Not true, I just called NITTO and they confirmed no changes to INVO production.
Rich

What do you think about all the miles I have racked up on these NT05's ??

I'm thinking of taking them to the track to see if I can actually cord them like my GY, R6 and MPSC

DH
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Rich

What do you think about all the miles I have racked up on these NT05's ??

I'm thinking of taking them to the track to see if I can actually cord them like my GY, R6 and MPSC

DH
Howard,

Those are excellent numbers you're getting compared to what others are seeing. Are they still quiet and smooth? I'd consider them myself except I have fairly fresh rear INVOs but my original fronts are at 31K miles with some left , so I'll be getting new ones soon before I go on my annual 6K mile trek back east this summer.

Saw that you corded the R6s last weekend at WSIR , should be careful out there! Be interesting to see how they stick with the miles on them. If I ever go back to the track, I'll consider the NT05s based on your feed back.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To How many miles on your NT05s?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Minkster
Howard,

Those are excellent numbers you're getting compared to what others are seeing. Are they still quiet and smooth? I'd consider them myself except I have fairly fresh rear INVOs but my original fronts are at 31K miles with some left , so I'll be getting new ones soon before I go on my annual 6K mile trek back east this summer.

Saw that you corded the R6s last weekend at WSIR , should be careful out there! Be interesting to see how they stick with the miles on them. If I ever go back to the track, I'll consider the NT05s based on your feed back.

Rich
I'm not saying they are the same as new. But they still get me to work and back (in the rain too). The rears still have full rubber on the inner and outer shoulders ..... really think this tire was made for track use!!

Come by and check them out

DH
Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have about 10k miles on mine plus to DE events. I still have about 3-4/32 on them so they look like they will last 16k-20k. My GY lasted 18k so about the same. I will say they are not the same now as new but 14 months later they are still a lot quieter than cycled GY's and the grip is still pretty good but not as sticky as the beginning obvously.

When new they would hook 1st gear as long as I did not launch hard on the clutch,now I have to modulated the gas after 4500 rpm, but they still hook.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mileage seems good on these considering the tread-ware rating. Does anyone know how much these weight compared to the stock runflats and ps2's.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How many miles on your NT05s?