Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Carbon Edition and Z07 Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
defender90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BartManStl
Buying cars is a lot like buying a PC. Just get the one you want when you want it, cause no matter when you do, the next month, something better will come along...
Yeah. Just like cellphones. TV screen technology (Plasma, LCD, LED, 3-DTV), Tiger Wood's women.... etc.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM
defender90
Racer

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
Yep, thats the way GM works.. buy a special edition car this year and think to yourself I have something special. Next year they come out with all those options and more standard and now your car with all those special options is just last years model.

That's because GM is a MASS PRODUCTION producer!! Without it's economies of scale, the Z06 for what it has and what it costs would just be a wet dream
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by defender90
Yeah. Just like cellphones. TV screen technology (Plasma, LCD, LED, 3-DTV), Tiger Wood's women.... etc.
Ain't that the F'ing truth
Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
You think GM offering MR suspension on the Z06 was to primarily solve a ride quality issue? Its more than that pal, it's about increasing the car's handling capabilities. Drive a Z06 and ZR1 around a corner that isn't glass smooth and you'll understand the reason behind MR suspension. It's a very effective system when calibrated right. And in the Carbon editions case, well 3 seconds a lap faster than a std Z06, I wouldn't give all the credit to the Carbon Ceramic brakes...I'm willing to bet the new dampers have a lot to do with the improved performance and lap times.
I do not "think GM offering MR suspension on the Z06 was to primarily solve a ride quality issue". Ride quality has a lot to do with the GY run flats. For the record I applaud GM's move to finally release a Z06 with certain features of substance besides the decals and paint of previous "special editions". Unlike you, I doubt the MR suspension accounted for the "3 seconds a lap faster". It may have a bit to do with tires and I don't see anyone giving credit to the carbon cermaic brakes.

This is a step in the right direction for GM. But as a Z06 owner who tracks his car, I believe they missed an opportunity to provide a purpose built car for enthusiasts with significant weight reductions, coil over suspension (or even the MR suspension), more supportive seats, etc. For a clue of what I am talking about, go look at the standard seats in a Viper. I am not a huge Viper fan but it is very annoying that Dodge releases its ACRX and the best GM can do is to borrow parts from one of the six other Corvette models and offer "improvements" that Z06 owners can more cost effectively perform themselves.

If you want a smoother ride, go buy yourself a base C6 with magnetic ride. Or better yet a caddy!

Last edited by Corvee; 03-14-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
vetteheadracer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Carbon Edition will be on display at Sebring in the Corvette Corral on Friday / Saturday i.e. this week so anyone going it is your sworn duty to take lots of pictures and then post them on here!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ion/index.html

85-90k

pricey, but for that price, I would rather have that than any other car.

Looks amazing.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ion/index.html

85-90k

pricey, but for that price, I would rather have that than any other car.

Looks amazing.
...and the prices will be better on the non-LE Z06 editions and you can get everything except for the paint and hood. I can't help but think the C7 Z06 is going to be much better. It gets better every year and we are too close to a model change to make the switch to a newer Z06.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
larsofvt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GIO-305
I like that hood. I been wanting the ZR1 hood without the window. I wonder if the inside liner is carbon fiber?
The inside of the Z07 hood is carbon fiber just like the ZR1. It is 10 lb lighter than the standard Z06 hood.

The roofs are a magnesium frame with a carbon skin bonded on.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I love all Vettes from the base models to the mighty ZR1's but "DAMN"...this is now IMO at the top of the food chain!!!...

N/A track/strip/street car...

With the enhancements that these new Z's are to be given I wouldn't even consider a ZR1 opposite this one, even if they were even money. I would be livid if I had just spent $110-$120K on a ZR and this "beast of both/all worlds" appeared, but I guess that's just how things go. GM continues to forge ahead and I'm left behind with my mini-beast...

Please no offense to the ZR guys. You guys have GREAT cars!!!
The above is just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with Brembo GT's and took off 26.6 pounds of unsprung weight. Now, anybody want to sign my petition to Brembo for replacement carbon rotors and carbon pads? That is what I would like to see on my Z. Oh, yeah, I like the new edition. I like the old edition. Oh, wait, I like them all. If I could afford my dream collection, I would have one of every series and addition.
Gary
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
fullmonty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Z edition looks great. My machine silver 06Z looks great, I removed the drivers seat and motor mechanism replaced with GT Recaro seat fixed aluminum mount, major wt. reduction. For the track I run CCW wheels and hoosier set -up 10lbs per wheel less wt. add all that up and you.ve got a significant wt. loss. If you want an immediate reduction (3 secs) in lap times, get a functional drivers seat and bolt-on CCW or similar wheels serious track tires,and set-up your alignment. Everything else is going to give small incremental gains IMO Would be nice to have the magnetic ride and close ratio trans from the ZR1 though.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvee
I do not "think GM offering MR suspension on the Z06 was to primarily solve a ride quality issue". Ride quality has a lot to do with the GY run flats. For the record I applaud GM's move to finally release a Z06 with certain features of substance besides the decals and paint of previous "special editions". Unlike you, I doubt the MR suspension accounted for the "3 seconds a lap faster". It may have a bit to do with tires and I don't see anyone giving credit to the carbon cermaic brakes.

This is a step in the right direction for GM. But as a Z06 owner who tracks his car, I believe they missed an opportunity to provide a purpose built car for enthusiasts with significant weight reductions, coil over suspension (or even the MR suspension), more supportive seats, etc. For a clue of what I am talking about, go look at the standard seats in a Viper. I am not a huge Viper fan but it is very annoying that Dodge releases its ACRX and the best GM can do is to borrow parts from one of the six other Corvette models and offer "improvements" that Z06 owners can more cost effectively perform themselves.

If you want a smoother ride, go buy yourself a base C6 with magnetic ride. Or better yet a caddy!
I wasn't giving the MR all the credit for the full 3 seconds, maybe it was not so very clear to you but I was trying to give equal praise to all the improvements, emphasizing the fact the MR suspension may have had a lot to do with it though more than the others.

If the MR in the Z06 is setup anything like it is in the ZR1 I'm assuming that not only is ride quality improved but so is body control as well as giving the driver greater ability to put the power down earlier in a turn ( esp on a Z06 since it has over a 100hp less than the ZR1)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the real-world pricing will make the Carbon model Z06 cost 24K more than a stock Z. You'll be paying about 12K for the collector status and probably 12k for the upgraded parts.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

At the end of the day, I am pleased that the Z06 finally has received some attention. We can bitch about this and that but now we have more options and more choices. All of them are good. If we hate the colors, the options or what ever, then we can go with the existing models. If we want more HP then we can go with the ZR1. Or we can buy a Z06 off the used lot and start to mod. Again Choices, Choices Choices. None of them bad. Enjoy your cars and enjoy your life. Get out there and drive em like you stole em.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvee
This is a step in the right direction for GM. But as a Z06 owner who tracks his car, I believe they missed an opportunity to provide a purpose built car for enthusiasts with significant weight reductions, coil over suspension (or even the MR suspension), more supportive seats, etc.
Those ceramic brakes take a significant amount of unsprung weight out of the car and the MSRC suspension is now an option for Z06 buyers.

In any event, wouldn't it be nice if they weren't finished and there were more versions of the car coming out?

You didn't hear anything. Shhhhhh...

Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 AM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
How many more "special editions" [Wil Cooksey 427 Limited Edition; Corvette Competition Sport Edition; GT1 Championship Edition; Ron Fellows ALMS GT1 Champion Edition; Indy 500 Pace Car Edition; Carbon Limited Edition] does Government Motors have up its "anything to make a buck" sleeve? Remember when Corvettes were simply that, Corvettes? This new carbon edition has got to **** off the ZR1 owners, just as the ZR1 and GS has pissed off the Z06 owners, and before that the '02-04 Z06 pissed off the '01 Z06 owners.

I don't get any owner that would get pissed off about another car that has the looks of their. I got what I got and I know what I got and I am happy with it. I could care less if someone else has gotten a car looks kinda like mine. It seems like allot of wasted energy on worrying about what other people are doing (MAYBE THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY RIGHT NOW), instead of enjoying life. Way too high school clickish for me......can anyone say pretty in pink.
There's nothing wrong with making a buck if they can do it. That was GM's problem before, no one bought their product and if they can get someone to buy the car at 90k. a pop by throwing on parts they already have and fresh paint, then by god go for it.....if it was my business I'd do it. GEEZE look at a Porsche 911...they threw on 2 extra doors and called it a sedan (and charge 125k), and there are probably 12 stinking version of the car (911, RS, Carrera, carrera 4S, GT2, GT3, Turbo....etc) and no one complaints about it and it seems like it only comes in 2 colors (silver and Black, how often do you see it in any other color), how's that for looking alike.

I would have like to get the Z06 with the suspension upgrade better ride, the brakes I don't need. The stock Z06 are fine, I don't remember the last time I ran the Nuremberg ring and wish I can get into the corners deeper........oh yeah that's because it would be never.

Last edited by racezx9; 03-17-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Speaking of Z06 stickers and logos... anyone notice the "Z06 Carbon" writing on the wheels? Very Cool

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Carbon Edition and Z07 Package

Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Speaking of Z06 stickers and logos... anyone notice the "Z06 Carbon" writing on the wheels? Very Cool
Cool but don't get your hopes up. I remember that the pre-production art work for the introductory 2006 C6Z06 had polished wheels with writing on them as well. The writing didn't make it into the production wheels.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
fivefingerdeathpunch
Drifting

Default z06 carbon

Originally Posted by GTJim

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/10/2...ght-below-zr1/

From Auto Blog

Looks nice and I like the hood and suspension but can't justify the price increase over what I paid for my 09.

Thoughts ???
did any one here that the z06 carbon car #427 sold for $300.000 at auction the other day????????????
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fivefingerdeathpunch
did any one here that the z06 carbon car #427 sold for $300.000 at auction the other day????????????
Didn't hear that but about a month ago the #427 Wil Cooksey, still brand new, sold for $200K at Barrett Jackson.

It was auctioned for charity so that probably had something to do with the HUGE money it got.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Carbon Edition and Z07 Package