Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How to Support the Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Support the Engine?

How to Support the Engine?

When removing the front cross member, the service manual says to use the J41803 and the J28467-B engine support fixtures, to support the engine, I googled up the part numbers and found them to be about $1200 worth of Kent-Moore tools.

The manual also has a warning not to support the engine by the front crankshaft pulley, but no explanation as to why not. I've known a few people who have supported the engine with a jackstand under the front crankshaft pulley, with no apparent problems.

Any advice from those who have experience would be appreciated.
Thanx
Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You can support under the oil pan, On the edge. You can also let the tunnel support plate take some of the weight.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
racer34v
Racer

i would bet they dont want you use the front damper so there is no incidential impact causing main brg damage?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
You can support under the oil pan, On the edge. You can also let the tunnel support plate take some of the weight.
I need to remove the pan to install the Aviad oil pan baffle.
The other thing I am doing is installing Pfadt motor mounts.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
I need to remove the pan to install the Aviad oil pan baffle.
The other thing I am doing is installing Pfadt motor mounts.
+1 on Pfadt motor mounts. Love them!

Great Product!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

can't wait to see ( feel) the results. My mounts looked fine the last time the motor was out, but I may be doing this swap once I push the rubber arms bushngs too.

good luck! you picked a chillie weekend to work on the car.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
TR-6060
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When removing the front cross member, the service manual says to use the J41803 and the J28467-B engine support fixtures, to support the engine, I googled up the part numbers and found them to be about $1200 worth of Kent-Moore tools.
I've got one of these to hold engines from the top. Haven't used it on a 'Vette yet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96524
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manual also has a warning not to support the engine by the front crankshaft pulley, but no explanation as to why not. I've known a few people who have supported the engine with a jackstand under the front crankshaft pulley, with no apparent problems.

Thanx

I've changed engines a few times and if you've got access to an engine hoist you can just use that.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TR-6060
I've got one of these to hold engines from the top. Haven't used it on a 'Vette yet.

This would work just fine, I used something similar when swapping my pan.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Excellent advice, Thanx a bunch. I just ran down to harbor freight (aka) snapoff tools and pick up one of the engine support devices you gave the heads up for.
I will try it and let you know if it works.

It looks very similar to the tool from Kent Moore that costs $1200

Thanx again, for your suggestion,
gotta love this forum
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

How does that work from the top? I'm missing something here...Unless the legs extend to make it like a gantry but it would be pretty unstable that way - ??
Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
TR-6060
Racer

Originally Posted by vetracer
How does that work from the top? I'm missing something here...Unless the legs extend to make it like a gantry but it would be pretty unstable that way - ??
You can adjust the legs on each side along the bar to widen or shorten its stance. The legs have rubber feet and I usually position them on the strut towers or inner lips of the fender area (only have used it on FWD cars so far for clutch & tranny replacements). Since its contained on top of the car, it works great with a lift since you can raise and lower the car while the engine is hung.

If you go to the green link at the bottom of the Harbor Freight product page, you can download the manual for additional info.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Ok here it is.. a modified Harbor Freight Engine Support bar.
We welded a plate to each leg to extend the legs up by 7 inches. Feet sit firmly on the Frame Rails.

This picture shows where we welded an extension on to one of the legs.

Thanks amillion to TR-6060 for the info about the Harbor Freight engine support tool.

$59 bucks
I love having the right tool for the job.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 02-20-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Now with the engine firmly supported we can drop the cross member to install the new goodies.

Aviaid Baffled oil tank
Pfadt motor and tranny mounts
Aviaid baffled Lingefelter modified Dry sump tank
A new set of Bilstein shocks

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 02-19-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanx
i did not use the front crank shaft pulley since it was off anyways for the cam instal but i did ue a long board with 2 jack stands at the end on the oil pan area cant remember specifics but it worked ok and it was on my small *** garage cam install
Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
can't wait to see ( feel) the results. My mounts looked fine the last time the motor was out, but I may be doing this swap once I push the rubber arms bushngs too.

good luck! you picked a chillie weekend to work on the car.
you are still on the rubber a arm bushing?? that means you havent taken to to the track yet enough

dang it i need a good project for the car i havent wrenched on it for a while now
Old 02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

damn not to post ***** your thread but did you get a new pan?? damn it looks nice and clean.

if so what was the cost?

i should maybe do the oil pan upgrade. i was thinking of doing it, over the winter and april is approaching soon

Get notified of new replies

To How to Support the Engine?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
TR-6060
Racer

We welded a plate to each leg to extend the legs up by 7 inches. Feet sit firmly on the Frame Rails.

Thanks again to TR-6060 for the info about the Harbor Freight engine support tool. I love having the right tool for the job.
Great work adding the extensions and thanks for posting the images as well. I'll do the same with mine when the need arises to use it on the 'Vette.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvandentop
damn not to post ***** your thread but did you get a new pan?? damn it looks nice and clean.

if so what was the cost?

i should maybe do the oil pan upgrade. i was thinking of doing it, over the winter and april is approaching soon

Both the pan and the can were taken off of my friend's car when he put a new ARE pan on his car. I just cleaned it with degreaser and hit it with my pressure washer. Then I installed the Aviaid baffles.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 02-20-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
you are still on the rubber a arm bushing?? that means you havent taken to to the track yet enough

dang it i need a good project for the car i havent wrenched on it for a while now
Oh I can attest that this ride has made it to the track and more than a few times based on shared laps. .

I had a fun 1/2 day with Keith at HPR last year, I think the ONLY reason he still has the rubber bushings is because he was on GY runcraps ( I was on triple 8's which seem to be saving my bushings too)

I have a feeling we will both be doing the Pfadt spherical upgrade in the future. I just can't stand squeaky squeaky over ever medium to large bump. My Pfadt poly comp sway bars mounts are bad enough

Nice job on the pan removal, I'll have to remember you have that tool if I need it in the future...LOL

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to Support the Engine?