Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 block repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Well... That is the draw back to going the LSX route... But sky us the limit when it comes to power with this block...
Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonc6
wow, that's a very very sharp solution to resleeving this block. Somebody had their thinking cap on for sure.
the cost about $$$3,grand no guaranty
Old 07-05-2010, 05:30 PM
STEVE HOLM
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Valves for lunch

Same problem here. Blown LS7 ate the bottom end of the exhaust valve. Most likely will go the Darton route. It would be just wrong to put an iron block in a ZO6. The Darton sleeve gives you a stronger block than the original. The block wasn't the problem anyway. Has anyone actually had a block fail? Highly recommend SS valves. All parts must be tested before the go back. Good luck
Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Wondering what is the number 1 cause of an LS7's failure.... Is it power or poor tuning? Few LS2 owners always complained of the cylinder#7 running hotter than others due to fuel starvation... LS7 do have the same fuel setup (returnless design).
I have been watching the problems with hole number 7 for years. Fuel, Air, water and steam. It's not all fuel related but that doesn't help anything.

I some cases seen it does really ask the question, What came first the piston or the valve. My experience with cast pistons pushed too hard is the piston failed first. The exhaust valve is something that is along for the ride. Hard to say really, it's kinda funny how little of exhaust valve problems are reported with forged pistons....

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 07-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Depending on which direction you go, you can probably send it in as a core.

I cracked a sleeve on my block and ERL took it as a core.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
Seen that one once too many:

It ain't pretty!
Had one that looked just like that last October. It blew #1 not #7. All stock. Ran great until it blew without warning.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
0ERL PERFORMANCE
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
I'm going to send you an email with more info but we have a couple different options to repairing and sleeving your LS7 where it will be stronger than ever before. If the cast iron liner is the only thing that is cracked then we can sleeve it using our Dry Sleeve system. If part of the outer aluminum cylinder is cracked as well then we can repair it and sleeve it using our Superdeck 1 sleeving system.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I have been watching the problems with hole number 7 for years. Fuel, Air, water and steam. It's not all fuel related but that doesn't help anything.

I some cases seen it does really ask the question, What came first the piston or the valve. My experience with cast pistons pushed too hard is the piston failed first. The exhaust valve is something that is along for the ride. Hard to say really, it's kinda funny how little of exhaust valve problems are reported with forged pistons....

Randy

Just an FYI for the record, I had a forged mahle piston when my solid steele exhaust valve ate it up.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stZ
Just an FYI for the record, I had a forged mahle piston when my solid steele exhaust valve ate it up.
Did you have a spring failure or did the valve head just drop? This is just FMI is all.

Randy
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Did you have a spring failure or did the valve head just drop? This is just FMI is all.

Randy
No spring failure. Just snapped the exhaust valve.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a complete engine from a 2007 that was "junk"

Did the same thing, dropped a valve, ate up a cylinder.
There was some welding involved to repair the water jacket before I put two sleeves in it. It was repairable, it has been fixed and is already a running engine again.

Obviously the machine shop should look at it and decide, but the two sleeves were not that expensive. Darton made two of them for us that were the same as the stock sleeves. Took a week or so.

Needless to say I had nothing in a good running LS7.

I would be very sure you let someone who knows what they are doing look at the block before you junk it. I did not read all of the comments here but I would guess that most of the people telling you it is a boat anchor have neither fixed one nor ever even built an engine...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Perdition
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to scrap your block let me know. Name your price and I'll take it off your hands. Sorry for your misfortune.

Last edited by Perdition; 07-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stZ
No spring failure. Just snapped the exhaust valve.
What caused the contact?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by dfinke23
What caused the contact?
No idea! I was in 4th doing about 150ish & planning to shift close 7krpm but it let go before I could shift (maybe at 6700rpm). It was similar to the way my 1st motor went. I just shift into 3rd gear when all of a sudden, I see a big puff of white smoke in my rear view mirror. Then it's all she wrote!

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 block repairable?