Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question: For those that have a Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM
AlBinVA
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is a detailing trick...

Originally Posted by Burnin4
oops, those were part of my install as well .

my only complaint about a clear bra is getting wax stuck along the edges, but have figured out how to avoid that now.
Most detailers use a short bristle paint brush with masking tape wrapped around the metal clip to prevent scratching. The short bristles can be dabbed and stabbed at the bra lines. it also works on most joints and other openings on the car.

Al
Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Most detailers use a short bristle paint brush with masking tape wrapped around the metal clip to prevent scratching. The short bristles can be dabbed and stabbed at the bra lines. it also works on most joints and other openings on the car.

Al
Just make sure you use the softest bristles you can find. I used a tooth brush for a baby.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
actsoft
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default May not need hood part.

I have a 2008 Z06 with clear protection. I did not put it on the hood. For some reason the air flow seems to avoid most hood contact and put the bugs on the windshield. I have had very good color stability with Jet Stream Blue and have not been damaged by Florida Love Bugs. If you are a daily driver it is a must.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
C5ontrack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do it yourself - Save a bundle

Guys, this is easy to do yourself. I did my '06 C6 for less than $500 and that includes front bumper, hood, fenders, mirros, behind 4 wheel wells and rear deck/spoiler area.

anyone with a garage in the DC area? I'll show you how... I'm getting ready to do my '08 Z06.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
zeus79
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 43 Posts

Guys i know most of these come in kits. You know where i can order just the passenger side mirror and rocker???
Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I can't believe people pay this much.

Here's what I got:

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...l=CORVETTE+ZO6

I installed everything myself, and I did the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, behind the front wheels, lower rockers, and rear brake scoops, as well as the headlights and an installation kit and dvd for less than $400. The only difficult piece was the bumper, but it turned out nicer than the professional installer that raped me on my last vette. If you fubar any piece, they'll sell you that same piece at their cost, or they have a list of pro installers.

Do a google search and you'll find a coupon code that will save you 10 percent.

thanks for the link i just ordered a kit from another guy for my cts-v but he didnt sell all the other pieces i will have to get them from these guys. thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 AM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Mark,

This site asks you to pick Invisi-Mask film or 3M Scotchguard, which did you choose? How does it compare in thickness, shine and durability/strength to each other and vs some of the popular competitors?

If you could please either post here or email to sleekgreekpt@yahoo.com some close up pics of your install it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
Phil
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GreekPT
Hello Mark,

This site asks you to pick Invisi-Mask film or 3M Scotchguard, which did you choose? How does it compare in thickness, shine and durability/strength to each other and vs some of the popular competitors?

If you could please either post here or email to sleekgreekpt@yahoo.com some close up pics of your install it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
Phil
The "Invisi-Mask" is far better than the 3m (which I had on my 08). The 3m had a ton of orange peel, the Invisi mask has none and is much more clear.

I'm no expert on clear bras, but I have installed two, the latest on my 09 Z. I paid to have a 3m put on my 08. It's not that difficult, however the nose bumper isn't for the faint of heart.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

beware of ordering off that site i googled them and they had really bad customer service reviews and wont even respond to emails
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dvandentop
beware of ordering off that site i googled them and they had really bad customer service reviews and wont even respond to emails
I've never had a problem the two times I've ordered, that last time was a month ago. You'll always find someone disgruntled. Hell, if a bad customer experience posted on the net is all it takes, I wouldn't have bought my Z06 from chevy.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 444 Posts

What's up Mark....got the new toy broken in yet ?
I'll have to check out the new ride with your clear bra install soon, as I pickup my car later this week from the paint shop and want to install this as soon as possible.

later.

V
Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
1subject70sheets
Racer

The price seems slightly high. The place that I used charged less for similar coverage. (btw, before I had my cars done I did some research, compared films and also tried installing 3M film but at end I wasn't happy with my installation quality so had it redone)
I agree with the above posts about making sure that you research your installer. Also make sure that your installer is using quality film (either 3M or Venture Shield). Cheap films are usually thinner, offer little protection, cost less, scratch easily and will discolor. Nothing but waste of money.

(place that does my cars, : www.blockachip.com
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
vjones
Burning Brakes

I spent over 1k or so as, I had the whole hood done as I didn't want that line across the hood. The front was all done, rockers, and rear ducts, I remember that I would have done the front whole fenders if I had to do it again as I didn't like the line halfway on the fender. I think you get what you pay for. I had a prof. come to the showroom floor of Boardwalk chev, as I didn't want any dust etc on it and no chips before I left..

Getting the whole hood was a huge jump in price, but worth it, looks wise alone.. It was on a black Z, so it may be ok on a lighter one halfway.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
What's up Mark....got the new toy broken in yet ?
I'll have to check out the new ride with your clear bra install soon, as I pickup my car later this week from the paint shop and want to install this as soon as possible.

later.

V
I'm going to try and be at the gm v ferd event at speedworld sat.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

If you remove the front emblem and the front fender's side marker lights, the installer can do a custom job and there will be no seams on the front end and the clear bra can be tucked behind the side marker lights. Good clean appearance.

After is has a chance to settle for a few days you can put the front emblem back on the the 3M double-sided tape.

Had mine done in TN just after picking it up at the NCM
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
You are correct. I have ran into numerous people over the last couple of years that have had issues with them. They also do not post what film they are using... there is no "invisible mask" film. I have also found their site to be pretty deceptive. They make it sound like this is a do it yourself job when it clearly isnt. Yes you can always apply film yourself but if you want it to look good, get a professional to do it right. There is also no warrranty with the film if you do it yourself... you need a certified installer for the warranty to be valid. These guys are just trying ot make a quick buck by selling kits and wont be there to stand behind the product when issues arise.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
You are correct. I have ran into numerous people over the last couple of years that have had issues with them. They also do not post what film they are using... there is no "invisible mask" film. I have also found their site to be pretty deceptive. They make it sound like this is a do it yourself job when it clearly isnt. Yes you can always apply film yourself but if you want it to look good, get a professional to do it right. There is also no warrranty with the film if you do it yourself... you need a certified installer for the warranty to be valid. These guys are just trying ot make a quick buck by selling kits and wont be there to stand behind the product when issues arise.
Hmm.

Not sure what you mean by "no invisible mask film". They offer the 3M and Invisible Mask. I've had both and just installed the Invisible Mask on my car.

It IS a "do it yourself job". I did it myself with really good results (the front bumper is difficult, but the rest of the car was very easy). However, if you have doubts about your abilities, they have a list of professional installers you can take the product to. My advice is to try installing the easy pieces yourself and just have the installer do the front bumper.

I hate to see a company get slandered by someone who is just speculating. You can so a google search on any company and you'll find disgruntled customers. But I've bought twice over a two year period and never had an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Question: For those that have a Clear Bra

Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rpm94
Looking to install a clear bra on my 09 Z06. Just got a price to do the front bumper, 20 inches up the hood, front fenders and mirrors for $800. The installer then wants to charge an additional $350 for the front and rear rocker panel areas and 6 inches up the doors.

This seems very high to me. Can those that had this work done and that were pleased with the results give me an idea of what I should be paying.

Thanks
That sounds about right for a custom cut that wraps around the edges so that you won't be able to see it. Everyone else that telling you "way to expensive" probably got the "precut" kit where you can see the edges on the car. Ask the installer

I had a custom kit installed, entire hood, bumper, front fenders and mirrors. Very happy.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by andy82
That sounds about right for a custom cut that wraps around the edges so that you won't be able to see it. Everyone else that telling you "way to expensive" probably got the "precut" kit where you can see the edges on the car. Ask the installer

I had a custom kit installed, entire hood, bumper, front fenders and mirrors. Very happy.
rpm94 is only getting 20"s on the hood and 6"s on the door. He's better off with a precut kit.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I had my windshield, quarter panels and rear brake scoops done as well. Total was around $1500 for Ventureshield.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question: For those that have a Clear Bra