Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any here fearful of leaving your Z in a public parking lot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:57 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
I have seen people (haters) target the car that is parked 300 yards out in the parking lot. They get an extra chuckle out of vandalizing the really sweet car that the owner took extra percausion to protect.

We had a car show recently where someone keyed a car all the way around, gouging every panel. It was the nicest and most expensive car in the show of about 200 cars. It was the only car in the show that had the guard rope strung around it to keep the people away from it.

Loosers and sickos are out there.
hearing stories like this really makes me sick.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
its a car, get over it
So, if some worthless S*^TF#*Ker keys your Z up one side and down the other, you'll be OK with it?

To some it is just a car
To some it is just a cheap Chevy beater in their fleet of Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys and Benzes, that their Daddy bought for them.

To some it is their pride and joy that they worked hard to obtain.
Perhaps they pulled themself up from poverty and ignorance, put themselves thru 20 years of schooling, worked their way up thru various jobs and careers, and finally now after 40 years of hard work sacrifice and perseverance have finally been able to buy a dream car that they had lusted after ever since they can remember. To this person it is Way more than "just a car"
If someone were to key this guys Z car up one side and down the other, and then you told them, "get over it, it's just a car".
Your doctor would probably be telling you "don't worry, it's just a broken nose."

If you are not that person then you would not have a clue how this person would feel about his trophy.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-14-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To some it is just a car
To some it is just a cheap Chevy beater in their fleet of Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys and Benzes, that their Daddy bought for them.

Perhaps they pulled themself up from poverty and ignorance, put themselves thru 20 years of schooling, worked their way up thru various jobs and careers, and finally now after 40 years of hard work sacrifice and perseverance have finally been able to buy a dream car that they had lusted after ever since they can remember. To this person it is Way more than "just a car"

If you are not that person then you would not have a clue how this person would feel about his trophy.

this deserves a standing ovation
Old 11-14-2009, 01:08 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Last night, I parked my Viper in a reserved spot in front of a club. Some ******* went and sat on the fender, right in front of me...and just missed a beating from me after adamantly refusing to move off. I physically tossed the idiot off the car. Many people have no clue - and even less respect for other people's property. It may be just a car to some, but I'm careful with everything I own, and maintain everything as well as I can. The last thing I want, is to get any of my cars dinged or scratched by some moron who could care less, or had too much to drink.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To some it is just a car

24 years of military pay, deployments and moving. Wfe is still in the military, but between us, we have reached a point (kids grown and gone) to where we can finally get nicer cars and not have to worry about how much room it has, where it gets parked or how will we make the payments. It's not "just a car" to us.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:29 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Call me paranoid for worring about my stuff. I have a 08 escalade esv with 26's, a 08 masariti quatroporte, and my 09 z. None were handed to me. Had to work my *** of for them. It's sad but we have to be paranoid. We're not in the "little house on the prairie" days. We are in the time where people are lazy, and would rather do anything but work for what they want. And if you have nice stuff you have to look
out for it. I'm young so right away I go through, daddy buy you those. Funny but my dad was a pos that got kicked out back in 1990. I worked hard, took care of my mom, and now have a family and kids of my own. So in these times, I will be paranoid.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Last night, I parked my Viper in a reserved spot in front of a club. Some ******* went and sat on the fender, right in front of me...and just missed a beating from me after adamantly refusing to move off. I physically tossed the idiot off the car. Many people have no clue - and even less respect for other people's property. It may be just a car to some, but I'm careful with everything I own, and maintain everything as well as I can. The last thing I want, is to get any of my cars dinged or scratched by some moron who could care less, or had too much to drink.
Another perfect example. So the it's just a
car thing, isn't gonna work here
Old 11-14-2009, 01:37 PM
doc-o-pharm
Instructor

So, if some worthless S*^TF#*Ker keys your Z up one side and down the other, you'll be OK with it?

To some it is just a car

If someone were to key this guys Z car up one side and down the other, and then you told them, "get over it, it's just a car.
Your doctor would probably be telling you "don't worry it's just a broken nose."

Nicely stated. I love my car, but the reality is that it's my DD and as such it takes trips to Lowes, WalMart, the mall and yep, I leave it for a week at a time in the airport parking garage. If it gets keyed, well that's a good excuse for new custom paint job.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 PM
MChicado
Racer

I always park it out in the open, and under a light if at night...but always where it can be easily seen from any direction. Cockroaches like the dark and don't like being seen!

However, I'm pretty selective about where I will leave her and for how long...I’m just not interested in dealing with the PITA insurance clams.

MC
Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Never at the mall, always far away in as protected space as possible for the shortest amount of time.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 AM
ttboost1
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Default i

TO the viper owner, (guy sat on it)

I would have beat the living crap out of this fool. On the spot, no questions asked. Drunk or not. You dont touch someones ride, much less a viper or Z.

To the op. Park kinda out of the way, but not 200 yards out. Dont worry bout it. If some jerk keys it, your insurance will pay for it. Its not worth the hassle of worrying about it.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I've been there and done that plenty of times - and recently as well, but that is now a last resort. One of my buddy's who's a cop was there with me...he was primed to go kick the living **** out of the guy, but after I tossed the bitch off the car - which was unharmed, we just decided to let it go. There's a time and place, and this just wasn't the right time...

The older I get, the wiser I think I get and at 52, I'm somewhat tired of getting into fights for the sake of fighting...so I tend to save them for the more appropriate situations these days. Now, if he'd have damaged the car, I'd have had no choice but to damage him. LOL

Car still looks perfect and has a finish like a mirror...that pimply-faced douche-bag still looks as ugly as he was before he sat on the car.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
BrnEyzR1
Drifting

Originally Posted by hoserack
I agree, I'm not gonna let the bastards get the best of me or be a slave to my car.
I try to park away from other cars if I can and leave the rest to God.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:54 AM
The BreeZe
Instructor

A couple simple rules.

If in a parking lot, park away from everyone, but near the main entry drive so the car is clearly visible to traffic and in the open. Punks don't want to be caught, if you park close in, nobody can observe the culprit at work.

If parallel parking, leave plenty of room, preferalbly, on the end of the line.

Don't overstay your welcome, if you have to park overnight, under a light is best.

Make sure your insurance comprehensive is paid up.

The BreeZe
Old 11-15-2009, 12:58 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
its a car, get over it
I agree....if youre talking about the car in your Avatar....
Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by The BreeZe
Don't overstay your welcome, if you have to park overnight, under a light is best.

The BreeZe
Be careful parking under lights....Was in a mall parking lot recently....the weather and roads were nice, but it had snowed a few days before...all of a sudden I heard a huge noise...looked over and a giant icicle had fallen from a parking lot light directly down onto the trunk of a car parked under it, putting a huge dent in the trunk...Luckily it was only a Ford Taurus
Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It really doesnt need to be a corvette, it just needs to be nice looking, the wifes Land Rover has been dinged severely since we have gotten it, its just that people: ack:

Get notified of new replies

To Any here fearful of leaving your Z in a public parking lot?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts

i feel like i am somewhere in the middle of all the posts here. it is just a car and that is what we pay insurance for. but i do try my best to avoid the inconvenience of having something happen. around here NJ you are more likely to be targeted if you do park far out then if you just park in the mix with everyone else. it avoids the elitist attitude that these "people" target. i have had less issues in parking lots with any of my cars then i have while just driving around. i think the only parking lot dent i ever got was in my land rover at costco ONCE and my rover was a parking lot queen, it was my errands and shopping vehicle for a few years (Daily Driver Lease). i just went to the mall today and took the z with no issues. i went to one of the lesser used lots and just parked in the mix for a few hours. nothing happened. but i will not do this at any mall. the one i went to is considered the "ritzy" mall in the area so my z is a middle to lesser expensive vehicle compared to all the others.

i find it funny how this attitude is really just a sports car guy attitude. no matter what sports car. because i go places all the time with mercedes and bentleys just parked in the mix like a civic. it may just be that those guys have the money to fix it if anything happens.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM
08Z06JSB
Advanced

Default Excellent Post

...To some it is their pride and joy that they worked hard to obtain.

...Could not have said it better myself...

OP - I seldom park the car out of my sight and as with another post in this thread I do valet park it myself (with only a few exceptions) after discussing with the valet. Without exception they have understood.

I do also try to park away from the crowds. It has worked well to this point.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Don't take this wrong, but I refuse to compromise my life for fear of where I park my Z06. I do go out as far as i can to avoid other cars, but that's it. I've had 7 corvettes and worked hard for everyone of them and I don't take my cars for granted. My corvettes receive TLC,
but there not my babies. Car are replacable , babies aren't. Case in point, my 08 Z06 caught fire and was a total. Insurance cut me a check and I went out and got a new 09Z06. That's why we have insurance boys. Moral, Don't be a slave to your car, enjoy it. Mine isn't a garage queen it's my daily driver. I'm a corvette driver , not just an owner. Don't be a smuck and leave any miles on your corvette for someone else to enjoy. Drive it like you stolled it!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any here fearful of leaving your Z in a public parking lot?