Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Crackling Stress noise when going over uneven surface

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
hionbusa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crackling Stress noise when going over uneven surface

Hello,

-I have an 07 z06 . Every time i go over uneven surface such as entry to a shopping mall or gas station at very low speed , i hear stress crackling noise coming from the rear panel area and sometimes the front pane also. I Noticed that one of the rear wheels would lift off the ground sometimes ...

-No noise when I'm cornering hard either side,going over speed bumps or pot holes .

-I believe I heard the same noise from another 2007 z06 I test drove before buying mine .

The noise is better described as body roll from suspensions being too stiff ..... I used to hear the same noise after lowering my fox body mustang with no sway bars.

Dealership is talking about a" possible" Cracked Welds in the frame!!!
According to the service manager, there is a GM bulletin for this issue ... They are investigating it and getting back to me tomorrow.

anybody had this issue or is this normal behavior for the Z06?

Thanks,

Last edited by hionbusa; 11-04-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM
gogetterZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by hionbusa
Hello,

-I have an 07 z06 . Every time i go over uneven surface such as entry to a shopping mall or gas station at very low speed , i hear stress crackling noise coming from the rear panel area and sometimes the front pane also. I Noticed that one of the rear wheels would lift off the ground sometimes ...

-No noise when I'm cornering hard either side,going over speed bumps or pot holes .

-I believe I heard the same noise from another 2007 z06 I test drove before buying mine .

The noise is better described as body roll from suspensions being too stiff ..... I used to hear the same noise after lowering a car with no sway bars.

According to the service manager, there is a GM bulletin for this issue

Thanks,
hey guy have your roof checked out...i have a 2007 z06 and it was making the same noise...everyone says that it was only the 2006 model z06 with the roof recall...good thing i brought it back to the gm dealer. my roof was fixing to blow off. they replaced the complete roof...i can't beleive on a 70k car that the roof was just glued on
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
hionbusa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gogetterZ06
hey guy have your roof checked out...i have a 2007 z06 and it was making the same noise...everyone says that it was only the 2006 model z06 with the roof recall...good thing i brought it back to the gm dealer. my roof was fixing to blow off. they replaced the complete roof...i can't beleive on a 70k car that the roof was just glued on
I did . They reglued the roof with a "special gm glue" and replaced retaining rings. Still makes the noise.

Right, $70k car shouldn't sounds like a lowered fox body mustang going over any surface.

Last edited by hionbusa; 11-04-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

My 07 makes some "creaks and groans" that my 06 Z51 coupe never made. I had the roof checked and its fine. I think it's the aluminum frame and less insulation causing these noises.

I hope anyway.

Tom
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
hionbusa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
My 07 makes some "creaks and groans" that my 06 Z51 coupe never made. I had the roof checked and its fine. I think it's the aluminum frame and less insulation causing these noises.

I hope anyway.

Tom
wow! same way ? EX: "entering an uneven surface (up or down) and having to put the car kinda side ways not to scrape" ??
Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
P0LISH SAUSAGE
Instructor

Hmmmm, I have a very steep driveway and i must come into my garage at an extreme angle to limit the amount of air dam and front splitter scraping. Occasionaly one of the rear wheels comes off the ground and I can feel the frame flex and hear some creaking.

It's the kind of creaking you occasionaly hear jacking up the Z06 or any other car for that matter.

I've not had any concerns, but now your post has me thinking!

Last edited by P0LISH SAUSAGE; 11-04-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
hionbusa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by P0LISH SAUSAGE
Hmmmm, I have a very steep driveway and i must come into my garage at an extreme angle to limit the amount of air dam and front splitter scraping. Occasionaly one of the rear wheels comes off the ground and I can feel the frame flex and hear some creaking.

It's the kind of creaking you occasional hear jacking up the Z06 or any other car for that matter.

I've not had any concerns, but now your post has me thinking!
Yep ! right on. Driving very slow makes it even worst.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it or not, it seems that the weatherstripping around the rear hatch area can squeak over low speed bumps.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
mercruiser
Burning Brakes

One thing that I have noticed about my '07 is no creaks ever. My C3's and C4's creaked and groaned terribly. I guess it's what you get with t-tops and targas. I know the C6 is a lot stiffer than the C5 and a fixed roof should should make the car flex less. I would definately have my roof checked or have the roof braces checked. I believe that they are bolted in place.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
hionbusa
Heel & Toe

the car is fine under normal and performance driving .up to 0.90G :-)... no chassis flex or chatter etc..Only when going over uneven surface. Roof check was performed
Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 PM
P0LISH SAUSAGE
Instructor

Well that's just it, with one of the wheels off the ground I would expect a hell of a lot more creaking and groaning.

Although the post has me thinking, I'm not too worried.

My 08 Z has less than 5000 miles on it. I've hit some nasty bumps, traversed some very rough Chicago roads, and had too many WOT launches to count, all without any creaks, rattles, or groans. The ONLY time I hear slight creaking is when the frame gets flexed when one of the rear wheels comes off the ground going up my driveway.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Hello,

The noise is better described as body roll from suspensions being too stiff ..... I used to hear the same noise after lowering my fox body mustang with no sway bars.

According to the service manager, there is a GM bulletin for this issue ... They are investigating it and getting back to me tomorrow.

Thanks,
As others have said your creaking noises are in all likelihood coming from your weather stripping. The rubber that GM uses is very stiff. Having said that, there is a solution: Lubricate the weather stripping around the windows, the top part in particular. Crawl inside the trunk area and lubricate the weather stripping that runs parallel to the roof. I have yet to find a lubricant that works for any lengthy period of time. I use white lithium grease and it works, but it seems to lose its effectiveness after a few months. I also live in a very dry climate, which contributes to the problem.

Last edited by bcmarly; 11-05-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello,

-I have an 07 z06 . Every time i go over uneven surface such as entry to a shopping mall or gas station at very low speed , i hear stress crackling noise coming from the rear panel area and sometimes the front pane also. I Noticed that one of the rear wheels would lift off the ground sometimes
Thanks,
For a rear tire to pull off the ground, the uneven must be pretty uneven.

Randy
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Believe it or not, it seems that the weatherstripping around the rear hatch area can squeak over low speed bumps.
Yep thats where mine comes from. BTW to the OP .... first time in they try to glue it. Second time they replace it. 06VY been there done that. Only true fix is to replace.

Just like the rear diff clutch pack issue. First time they change the fluid and put in a additive. Second time the change out the cluth packs. Again ... been there done that.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
hionbusa
Heel & Toe

interesting!

Last edited by hionbusa; 11-05-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Pistol Champ
Instructor

A great lubricant for your seals is Di-Electric grease. It is designed for this purpose. A little goes a long way and it lasts a long time.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car is fine under normal and performance driving .up to 0.90G :-)... no chassis flex or chatter etc..Only when going over uneven surface. Roof check was performed
Might sound crazy, but check the rear axle nuts, and report back.

Get notified of new replies

To Crackling Stress noise when going over uneven surface

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I'm dealing with this same noise in my 09 Z. I hate to think this is the frame. This is what has been done so far. So far I've had no success in finding it.

- New sway bar end links. Newest GM design.
- Disconnected one end of sway bar.
- Lubed hatch latch, and hinges.
- Tested with hatch up. Hatch closed, but not latched. Had a big towel between the latch and catch so it was nice and padded. None of the weatherstripping was in contact with the hatch.
- Lubed every bushing with WD40. (Getting desperate).

Currently, my theory is it's the ride height adjusters scraping on the lower control arm. When I was lubing everything, I sprayed some WD40 under the adjusters and I think it helped. But the next day is was back.

In looking at the lower control arm, you can see marks where the adjuster slides back and forth as the a-arm moves up and down. I was surprised how much they seem to move. Also, the surface on the control arm is pretty rough. I'm not sure what material is on the end of the adjuster, is it steel or some type of plastic?

This weekend, I'm planning on getting some good grease in there. I'm hoping I'm on the right track as I'm running out of ideas. I suppose it could be an a-arm bushing or ball joint. I think the next steps would be to remove the rear leaf and see how the suspension moves and sounds without load.

For the record, I took it to the dealer and they said they didn't hear it.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add, the axle nuts are tight and it's not the diff clutch pack. I can do figure eights all day on a flat surface and it's silent.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM
racingvett
Heel & Toe

In doing a search here is one GM TSB related to cracked frame welds I found

http://teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthr...=2121#Post2121

Hello,

Thanks,

Quick Reply: [Z06] Crackling Stress noise when going over uneven surface