Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Broke Torx Head Inside Caliper Pin !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
kenmal5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken screw

Harbor freight sells easy outs that are used to remove broken screws. Requires drilling proper size hole and putting in easy out, which then locks into broken screw. Then it is twisted counter clockwise.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 AM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the caliber off and work on it on the bench. Maybe even swing by a machine shop and have them take a look at getting it out before i'd put the torch to it!
I hate those pins... I have 2 stripped ones. I just leave them in place and pull the caliber off to change the pads. I like the brakes, but I Hate changing the Damn pads! if i hade a spare 4k, i'd buy the Brembos!
dan
Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys

I have no reason to think the bolt is stripped ???

You would think the broken tip would fall right out but it didn't when I turned the caliper upside down. And I have driven the car two weeks and at the track .... was hoping it wasn't going to be there when I checked yesterday.

Don't have a magnet either .... limited tools

DH
Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

If you sheared the torx bit off in the clockwise tightening direction an easy-out may not be the solution. It will be in very tight.
Remove the caliper from the spindle mount. Remove all the padlets and all the other brake pins. Use a medium pair of channel lock pliers to clamp on the inside of the pin (inside the brake caliper). There is a SS collar on the inside end of the pin. Just clamp over it, tightly. Use a small hammer to hit the channel lock pliers to start the pin out. Make sure you are going counter clock wise looking from the outside of the caliper towards the pin, for this step.
Once you break it loose you may need to remove the SS sleeve covering the head of the pin if the channel lock pliers damaged it enough that it will not back out of the hole in the caliper. A good pair of wire cutters is all you need to cut the sleeve. Replace the pin with a new one and be sure and to use anti-seize on the threads of all the brake caliper pins during installation.
I have removed many seized pins from C6 Z076 calipers due to the lack of anti-seize on the pins using this method.
Good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wstaab
If you sheared the torx bit off in the clockwise tightening direction an easy-out may not be the solution. It will be in very tight.
Remove the caliper from the spindle mount. Remove all the padlets and all the other brake pins. Use a medium pair of channel lock pliers to clamp on the inside of the pin (inside the brake caliper). There is a SS collar on the inside end of the pin. Just clamp over it, tightly. Use a small hammer to hit the channel lock pliers to start the pin out. Make sure you are going counter clock wise looking from the outside of the caliper towards the pin, for this step.
I was thinking the same thing, Howie. BTW Harbor Freight has channel lock flat nose pliers for under $5 - if you need me to send you a 15% off coupon send me a PM. Or come on over and we can break your car together . . .
Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wstaab
Once you break it loose you may need to remove the SS sleeve covering the head of the pin if the channel lock pliers damaged it enough that it will not back out of the hole in the caliper. A good pair of wire cutters is all you need to cut the sleeve. Replace the pin with a new one and be sure and to use anti-seize on the threads of all the brake caliper pins during installation.
I have removed many seized pins from C6 Z076 calipers due to the lack of anti-seize on the pins using this method.
Good luck.
Yes, I sheared it off by tightening .... clockwise

And I always use anti-sieze

I did notice that SS sleeve as I was trying to figure out why I have such a brake squeal all of a sudden. Should these be lubricated? Please watch for another thread I'm going to start regarding possible brake squeal sources. Though I found it yesterday as one of the copper padlet retainers was bent away, not making contact with the pad like all the others. The squeal went away after testing it yesterday but was back today though not quite as bad .... but still unnaceptable. And its not the normal squeal ..... I have over 37K miles so I know whats normal.

DH
Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I was thinking the same thing, Howie. BTW Harbor Freight has channel lock flat nose pliers for under $5 - if you need me to send you a 15% off coupon send me a PM. Or come on over and we can break your car together . . .
Obviously, I don't need any help ....... breaking it.

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Broke Torx Head Inside Caliper Pin !!!