Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] After five Z06's, thinking of a Viper

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie392
I am in the same boat. I just sold our GT-500 and made some good cash on it, so was thinking of keeping my Z06 and getting a 05 or 06 Viper.
Save a little more and get into an 08 Viper instead of an 05/06...it is like comparing a C5Z06 to a C6Z06...both great but you can 't compare them...makes sense?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
I owned a 1996 Viper GTS which I bought new in 1996 and owned it until I bought my 2001 Z06, so perhaps it isn't germaine to the new one.

I didn't have any problems after a faulty factory install on the head gasket for 40,000 miles. It was certainly not the car that my 2001 Z06 was. It was extremely uncomfortable on long trips due to the funky seating position (sort of sitting side saddle). I certainly wouldn't ever consider another one.
LMFAO The Viper is a purpose built car...OF COURSE it's going to be uncomfortable on long trips.

Originally Posted by Vetter Atl
I swapped cars with my buddy one track day because I was considering buying an 06 Viper coupe. That beautiful metallic blue with white just looked so cool, so I had to drive it.

It felt way slower than my 06Z (and was), the 5500 rpm redline left me wanting more after winding the Z to 7000 all day. The traction sucked (could have been the terrible and smelly nitto invos he had on there). The brakes were mushy very quickly.

It was uncomfortable as well. It reminded me of riding in a go cart back when I was a kid. It bounced all over the place, the throttle was either on or off, vibrations, heat, smells, sounds etc. all similar.

Not to mention the thing drank like 5 gallons per lap! I dont care about the mileage, but its annoying to have to go and fill up twice in one afternoon of a track event!

And, my buddy wil be buying a Z for the track. The only thing he said was that the Z is so common compared to the Viper and may hold up better value wise. I understand that point. We'll see. I paid 41.5K for mine, he paid 50K for his. I feel both were well bought.

It was sort of cool becuase it brought me that fond carting memory, but the minute I hopped back in the Z, there was no way the Viper was even on my radar anymore.

Free revving, beautiful, and light, the Z is just plain a better car. If you have to work twice as hard to get the same times at the track, don't blame the driver, blame the car. I go to the gym for my workouts.
First I've heard of the Invo's being ****ty tires. Anyway, again, you obviously don't know how to drive the car. I'm not saying that a stock 06 coupe can hang with a stock ZO6 at the road course because it can't...but it seems like, from your complaining and your experience behind the wheel of the Viper, that you, like the others, don't know how to drive the car.

These cars are one of the hardest to drive, and I will never argue that. I will also concede that many people don't want to put in the seat time to learn how to tame it's massive torque curve. This is why many people have jumped from a Viper to a C6Z.

On the other hand, if you can learn how to drive a Viper, I PROMISE that the fun to drive factor will me much more than the Vette ever can be. There's just something about driving a car with a raw feel to it. This is why I moved from a Vette to a Viper. I had a C5 that would eat C6Z's in both straight line and handling (forged, blown, massive suspension upgrades). I even raced a modded 03 Viper and spanked it. But, in the end, once I got some seat time in a GTS, I didn't even want to get back in my Vette.

Last edited by Y2KRoadster; 10-20-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Save a little more and get into an 08 Viper instead of an 05/06...it is like comparing a C5Z06 to a C6Z06...both great but you can 't compare them...makes sense?
X2. Listen to this man. The 08 and up Vipers are flat out beasts! They have been trapping 129's bone stock and a few guys have got a 130 out of them. That and they are road course beasts as well. They actually have the same brake package as the ACR (rotors on the ACR are a little different). The 08-09's stop on a dime and have the most creature comforts as any Viper ever. Better leg room, better materials on the interior. Plus, think of it this way...in a straight line, the car will hang with a ZR1!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Chonger
2008 & newer Viper > C6 Z06

C6 Z06 > 2007 & older Viper
Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Ram4whldr
Instructor

I would love to see pics of your 97 Z06....
LMAO...I meant 07!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gilly6993

There is not a car ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD that will hang with a BONE STOCK 2007 Viper SRT Coupe. You guys have never seen one in action? Man, so mis-informed!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
There is not a car ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD that will hang with a BONE STOCK 2007 Viper SRT Coupe. You guys have never seen one in action? Man, so mis-informed!
they are so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast, you can't even see them go by...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think you are being biased towards the Viper. A Gen II is going to need more than exhaust/headers to keep up with a Z06. Just because it makes more power does not necessarily means it is faster. Power to weight and gearing makes a heck of a difference. I have owned a GTS as well with the full exhaust/intake mods and it make just as much power as the Z...yes, but, not even close to being as quick. On the straight away or on the corners a Gen II or Gen III is not going to keep up with a Z. Now, if you put a lame driver on a Z, heck, even a Gen I could run laps around it - that is not the question.
The gen 2 GTSs are no slouch. Matter of fact they are easier to launch, and they get out of the hole better than the SRT10's. There was a few GTSs that ran close to 11 flat ,with just slicks in the 1/4 mile, and I believe mid 11's on street tires.
I have both GTS and C6Z, and I wouldnt really say that my Z blows away my GTS. With that said, it amazes me that my 10 year old GTS can still give my Z some competition. I mean come on 10 freaken years!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

The thing about the Viper snake bites - you can't stab the throttle when the tires are cold, the streets (outdoor tem<60) cold, and/or the tires are old (aging = harder). This can be true of all tires but more so with the Michelin run-flats they came with. Putting a Quaife rear-end did wonders for the Viper as far as "traction control" - $4K but well worth it. Floor heat was a bit of a problem, particular on warm days if you don't want to use the A/C; it dropped significantly if the cross-overs were dumped but noise level (drone)went up. Viper seats are way better unless you're too big. Brakes - these Brembo brakes - as good or better than the Vettes as good as they are - you might be right if Gen II or older. 03-06 motors have better bottom end than the 08+s but the tall 3.06s don't help! Gas sucks. Vipers are more reliable though (less to go wrong). Long distance - they work fine although cruise control would help.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by ERACERX
Thinking of going to the dark side after selling my 08 Z06.

Any advice or experience from those that have owned both?

Thanks!
You better be a small person................sat in a friends and I was very uncomfortable. and I burned the back of my thighs getting out. It was summer and it was hot a blazes in there

Clif
Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

they are so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast, you can't even see them go by...

Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raw, uncivilized power.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM
ERACERX
Instructor

I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs. Would probably have to lower the seat.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
TuckerO
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 06 Coupe. It is not something you want as a DD. My C6Z is so much easier to drive. I was going to wait for the 08s to come out but after finding out it would be about 18 months to get the color I wanted I could not wait. The Paxton makes up for the power. The Corsa's takes care of the heat. The Stoptech rotors takes care of the breaks. 355 gears really helped out down low. The Pilot Sports Cups will actually almost hold in third. I am still working on the gas mileage problem. I love the Viper but am thinking of selling it. I have found another car that will probably sit in the garage as much as the Viper so I am keeping the vette as it is just easier to drive on the bad roads around here. Good Luck

Tucker
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
bmw2nv2000
Racer

I say get one. I miss my gen 3 more than anything and am now looking to buy another one and hoping to buy a gen 4 if possible.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
LMFAO The Viper is a purpose built car...OF COURSE it's going to be uncomfortable on long trips.

First I've heard of the Invo's being ****ty tires. Anyway, again, you obviously don't know how to drive the car. I'm not saying that a stock 06 coupe can hang with a stock ZO6 at the road course because it can't...but it seems like, from your complaining and your experience behind the wheel of the Viper, that you, like the others, don't know how to drive the car.

These cars are one of the hardest to drive, and I will never argue that. .
Ok so becuase I gave my opinon that its slower and harder to drive than a C6Z06, which you seem to agree with see above quotes, I dont know how to drive?

Why dont you come down to Road Atlanta and show me how to drive someday. I am always eager to learn.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

I prefer driving my Viper versus a computer driving a Z. It's a beast and I luv it. C6Zs are a dime a dozen. I bought my GTS over 11 years ago and people still take pics of it every time I take it out.

Last edited by RED HAWK; 10-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To After five Z06's, thinking of a Viper

Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Dang hawk that's a big *** sig
Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 AM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 93 Posts

I did come from a C6, although not a C6Z. There is just something surreal about driving the Viper that I never felt with my Vette's. I honestly feel that, if on your first test drive you don't feel the same feeling, you should stick with a Vette. The Viper has certain drawbacks to it for sure...but if you have that feeling while driving it, I'm telling you none of them will matter.

For the record, I think alot of the drawbacks get blown out of proportion anyways. I can distinctly remember the center tunnel/console of my Vettes getting hot on summer days...on the Viper, I really only notice it in the summer, its down by the footwell where the cats are located. Just like many Z owners, when you upgrade the exhaust, install one high flow cat and get rid of the OEM two cats per side.

I've driven my car on two seperate trips of over 3 hours one way...I will never say its more comfortable than my Vette was, but its not like riding a horse and buggy either

If all the amenities are important to you, you'll be happiest with the Vette. The lack of those amenities are what make the Viper great, and if you don't see it that way, again, you'll be happiest in the Vette
Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
L82PC
Racer

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank
I did come from a C6, although not a C6Z. There is just something surreal about driving the Viper that I never felt with my Vette's.
There's a substantial difference when comparing a Viper with a C6 or with a C6Z...like day and night.

Quick Reply: [Z06] After five Z06's, thinking of a Viper