Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] So it was a z06 +mods vs a GTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
.. i have owned 2 z06's 02 TT 700/800 and a 06 z06 s/c 670rwhp and now a stock GTR and damn.... what a car ..i think its amazing and the engine being forged mucho potential.. the finish is amazing , handling is SICK!!

when i put 600awd... it will destoy alot of cars in 60* weather...

Don't forget to give me a call and I'll give you the best path forward to that 670awhp....BE CAREFUL there are a lot of hackers out there trying to get on the band wagon by throwing parts on the GT-R without doing the proper R&D.

My car broke the MPH and pump gas record for a GT-R without using race gas and it drives just like it is stock...well except for the exhaust growl.

Still doesn't sound as good as my cam and header Z06 though.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 09-17-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd make room in my garage for a GTR.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Sorry to the OP.....but unfortunately I couldn't agree more.

It truly isn't sour grapes and I'm happy you're happy but....."FUGLY"

JMHO...
I agree .
The looks aren't there ..
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Vladcanada
Racer

Do a review of gt-r, how do you like it compared to z06!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Don't forget to give me a call and I'll give you the best path forward to that 670awhp....BE CAREFUL there are a lot of hackers out there trying to get on the band wagon by throwing parts on the GT-R without doing the proper R&D.

My car broke the MPH and pump gas record for a GT-R without using race gas and it drives just like it is stock...well except for the exhaust growl.

Still doesn't sound as good as my cam and header Z06 though.

Ill be calling you today
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vladcanada
Do a review of gt-r, how do you like it compared to z06!

I"ve thought about doing a review of my Z06 and GT-R now that they are both modified. Stock vs stock Mike ( short throw ) and I already did a pretty good comparison thread when I first got the GT-R when its was stock at Autobahn CC.

There are quite a few members on here and over on the GT-R site that now own both Z06 and GT-R that I'm sure could also add to the review. Also a few like SW and Jamie that have every great performance car out there!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I"ve thought about doing a review of my Z06 and GT-R now that they are both modified. Stock vs stock Mike ( short throw ) and I already did a pretty good comparison thread when I first got the GT-R when its was stock at Autobahn CC.

There are quite a few members on here and over on the GT-R site that now own both Z06 and GT-R that I'm sure could also add to the review. Also a few like SW and Jamie that have every great performance car out there!

SW sold his said he like it just didn't love it, but when you have a stable like his what do you expect
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM
drabe
Instructor

I'm in Toronto too, like the OP. I track both my GTR and Z06 at Mosport. The Z06 has LG coilovers, Stoptechs and Pfadt bars and bushes. The GTR is stock except for alignment. Both cars are on runflats. Times at Mosport are very similar (about 1min35sec) with the Z06 being just a bit quicker. Where the GTR makes up time is due to the tranny due to the quick gear change. One can brake that much later, trail brake and shift at the same time in the GTR whereas with the Z06 the heel and toeing is done manually and takes more time. The Z06 with a paddle shift tranny would be that much quicker. The Z06 is lighter of course and it feels less cumbersome in the S curve (corners 8,9,10 for those who know the track). Both cars are lovely on the street and comfy on long trips. However, GTR is better value out of the box (assuming not much discount) because nothing needs to be done to it. However running costs are higher if you follow the recommendations in the service manuall. For example, if tranny temps are >120 degree Celcius, the transmission fluid needs to be changed which is over a grand in parts and labour. GTR has more rattles than Z06, although much better stock seats. The tranny in the GTR is unbelievable and why it's so quick on the track compared to many other cars. It's outstanding technology.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
.. i have owned 2 z06's 02 TT 700/800 and a 06 z06 s/c 670rwhp and now a stock GTR and damn.... what a car ..i think its amazing and the engine being forged mucho potential.. the finish is amazing , handling is SICK!!

when i put 600awd... it will destoy alot of cars in 60* weather...
it was 75* on the 15 south last night between sloan and jean.....my z is up for the challenge
Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 AM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats, I love the GTR. I almost bought a Viper when I bought my Z so I could drop the top. Glad a I didn't.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
silverarrowZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SABER Racing
I think you should drive the GTR for your winter beater! It has AWD, it's low on power, has a back seat, weighs a ton and it's an automatic... Congrats
too
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Go go Gawziwa.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
For example, stock turbo's, with the HKS570 kit, you can definitely hit well over 550awhp... it is, infact, about 570awhp on pump with maybe some meth. Race Fuel? 109oct, well, there is a white R35 locally that just hit 608awhp and is about 2 cars ahead of a stock Z06. It needs plenty of power to hang and beat a stock z06
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jasil
SW sold his said he like it just didn't love it, but when you have a stable like his what do you expect
SW sold his black one but he's getting another one and Boost logic is doing a TT build for him is what I was told from a good BL customer who talked to them on the phone the other day. It sounds correct as they just signed on as a forum vendor on the NAGTROC and he is also the person that SW sold his silver Supra to.

BTW Jasil how is it going with your Z06...is it still stock?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drabe
I'm in Toronto too, like the OP. I track both my GTR and Z06 at Mosport. The Z06 has LG coilovers, Stoptechs and Pfadt bars and bushes. The GTR is stock except for alignment. Both cars are on runflats. Times at Mosport are very similar (about 1min35sec) with the Z06 being just a bit quicker. Where the GTR makes up time is due to the tranny due to the quick gear change. One can brake that much later, trail brake and shift at the same time in the GTR whereas with the Z06 the heel and toeing is done manually and takes more time. The Z06 with a paddle shift tranny would be that much quicker. The Z06 is lighter of course and it feels less cumbersome in the S curve (corners 8,9,10 for those who know the track). Both cars are lovely on the street and comfy on long trips. However, GTR is better value out of the box (assuming not much discount) because nothing needs to be done to it. However running costs are higher if you follow the recommendations in the service manuall. For example, if tranny temps are >120 degree Celcius, the transmission fluid needs to be changed which is over a grand in parts and labour. GTR has more rattles than Z06, although much better stock seats. The tranny in the GTR is unbelievable and why it's so quick on the track compared to many other cars. It's outstanding technology.

Your comparison track number results and your analogy are right in line with what we experienced at Autobahn with the pro driver piloting both cars. GT-R was bone stock with 500 miles on it and Mikes Z06 was also stock but with upgraded suspension and brakes. BTW both were on stock RF's. The
Z06 finished a tick faster than the GT-R. The only thing I can say on this is that the driver had a ton of seat time in Z06's and that was his first time ever driving the GT-R. Needless to say he was impressed and felt with more seat time he could have shaved some time off what he had run that day. Let's face it they are both great street cars that can be taken to a track and lay down some very respectable times on both a road course or drag strip.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
drabe
Instructor

Your comparison track number results and your analogy are right in line with what we experienced at Autobahn with the pro driver piloting both cars. GT-R was bone stock with 500 miles on it and Mikes Z06 was also stock but with upgraded suspension and brakes. BTW both were on stock RF's. The
Z06 finished a tick faster than the GT-R. The only thing I can say on this is that the driver had a ton of seat time in Z06's and that was his first time ever driving the GT-R. Needless to say he was impressed and felt with more seat time he could have shaved some time off what he had run that day. Let's face it they are both great street cars that can be taken to a track and lay down some very respectable times on both a road course or drag strip.

I agree, they are both excellent cars and I consider myself fortunate to have them. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SW sold his black one but he's getting another one and Boost logic is doing a TT build for him is what I was told from a good BL customer who talked to them on the phone the other day. It sounds correct as they just signed on as a forum vendor on the NAGTROC and he is also the person that SW sold his silver Supra to.

BTW Jasil how is it going with your Z06...is it still stock?

See you would have the horses mouth source!! I just know he sold it and on Supraforums when asked why he said "He like the car, but didn't love the car."

Z06 is bolt ons doing a cam/headers/retune over the winter 550whp should be good enough.

Get notified of new replies

To So it was a z06 +mods vs a GTR

Old 09-18-2009, 07:13 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanderer,
Your comparison of the GTR and the Z06 is interesting. Even though you say they were both on stock runflats, the GTR at our local dealership has Bridgestone R compounds. If that is standard, that would be huge compared to the Goodyears.
Gary
P.S. I wouldn't call the car ugly. It is a totally different type of car than the Z and I think that, for what it is, it is a way cool ride. Has anybody weighed one of those things? It looks pretty heavy to me.

Last edited by 40YRW8; 09-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 PM
bvanwoud
Racer

Not even in the same league...looks was compared to the C6 Z06.
The Z06 is pure sex appeal!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Rusc6z06
Instructor

you have 2 supercars and a camaro and your wife drives a Yaris?

Quick Reply: [Z06] So it was a z06 +mods vs a GTR