Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Launch Control Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Default Launch Control Comments?

Anyone here with a 2010 ZR1 use their launch control feature yet?
Comments appreciated.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Launch control

I haven't even gotten into 4th Gear much less use the Launch Control herr in NY.......I am sure I will never get to use that Feature here because if I do I will be in the Trunk of the car in front of me....Harvey
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
I haven't even gotten into 4th Gear much less use the Launch Control herr in NY.......I am sure I will never get to use that Feature here because if I do I will be in the Trunk of the car in front of me....Harvey
Ha ha ha! You are very funny but absolutely 100% true!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
Wow, I can't even possibly imagine that. But, I'm used to the open roads here in Texas. Come on down here Harv.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Three of you sitting there with ZR1's and nobody has tried it out yet??? I'm still waiting for mine. So can't try it out.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude donor '09

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Three of you sitting there with ZR1's and nobody has tried it out yet??? I'm still waiting for mine. So can't try it out.
Not until I brake it in properly.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zippy
Not until I brake it in properly.
Zip, are you going to use the 500 or 1000 mile rule for break-in? What's you break in technique.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude donor '09

I will break it in as per the manual. No hard starts or stops. No cruise control, vary the engine rpms and speed, row thru the gears. In a nutshell: do not keep the engine speed/load at a constant level for the first 500 miles. Keep away from red line.

I worked in the engineering lab at Detroit Diesel for over 35 years. Can't remember how many different engines I ran thru the years. 2 stroke, 4 stroke Detroits, and numerous experimental products. Basically the same techniques were used to break in a "green" engine.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I will break it in as per the manual. No hard starts or stops. No cruise control, vary the engine rpms and speed, row thru the gears. In a nutshell: do not keep the engine speed/load at a constant level for the first 500 miles. Keep away from red line.

I worked in the engineering lab at Detroit Diesel for over 35 years. Can't remember how many different engines I ran thru the years. 2 stroke, 4 stroke Detroits, and numerous experimental products. Basically the same techniques were used to break in a "green" engine.
Well, get a move on...... you've had the car for weeks now. Perfect excuse to cross state lines for some groceries
Old 09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

What the manual says is what has been the norm for breaking in any new engine. We use to break an new engine in with non-detergent oil after a rebuild.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,844 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by rwpatte
What the manual says is what has been the norm for breaking in any new engine.
The engine isn't your main concern. The transmission, differential, and other moving components are and should be. Be gentle on those for 500 miles, or your diff is going to start howling at you at highway speeds and be insanely annoying in the long run.

jas
Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude donor '09

Originally Posted by pinoyZR1
Well, get a move on...... you've had the car for weeks now. Perfect excuse to cross state lines for some groceries
Pinoy: I know what your saying. However, there are medical issues (nothing serious) that take priority.

I did drive it across state lines last weekend for the NCM Anniversary, and plan on driving her to Brasselton GA in couple of weeks for the ALMS Petit LeMans.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Pinoy: I know what your saying. However, there are medical issues (nothing serious) that take priority.

I did drive it across state lines last weekend for the NCM Anniversary, and plan on driving her to Brasselton GA in couple of weeks for the ALMS Petit LeMans.
Sorry to hear..... there is no quicker way of making yourself "feel" better than flooring your zr1 and hearing the valves open and feeling the vibrations in your seat! Take care
Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried mine,it seemed to really limit the power,like leaving traction control on in my Z06.I guess it was working, the tires didn't spin much at all.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
yellerz51
Pro

Originally Posted by Luweegy
I tried mine,it seemed to really limit the power,like leaving traction control on in my Z06.I guess it was working, the tires didn't spin much at all.
Sounds like Government Motors at work already!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yellerz51
Sounds like Government Motors at work already!
LMAO,That is a good one.I'm wondering if I didn't use it rt or it was working how it should?

Get notified of new replies

To Launch Control Comments?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Don F
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luweegy- did I understand your Z06 has reduced power when TC is on in normal driving mode...mine is opposite...when I turn the TC off the car definitely has reduced power getting to the rear wheels...any thouhgts? thx Don
Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Don F
Luweegy- did I understand your Z06 has reduced power when TC is on in normal driving mode...mine is opposite...when I turn the TC off the car definitely has reduced power getting to the rear wheels...any thouhgts? thx Don
Don, the lauch control posistion on my Zr1 feels just like leaving my Z06 traction control on and trying to do a burn out.I'm not I've never heard of your problem? You might do a post in Tech&Performance.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM
cal333
Intermediate

If you have been on a factory tour you won't have to worry about causing damage to your ZR1 engine - it goes from initial cold start up to "the rollers" where it is run basically full throttle through the gears - if it blows it goes to the repair box - I was at the factory when the ZR1s were first being built and there wasn't one inside the factory that did not have a "do not start" sign on it - I asked our tour guide about that and he said very quietly that "they were having problems" with the ZR1 at full throttle - apparently "the problem" has been fixed - the ZR1 engine is built to blueprinting standards - the only way those piston rings are going to seat properly is with some full throttle runs - so "drive it like you stole it" and ENJOY the very finest Corvette ever built - of course the 2009 ZR1 owners will always have the fastest ZR1 as Government Motors continues to constrain performance with "launch control" and other ridiculous castrations

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Launch Control Comments?