Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Launch Control Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:33 PM
redknight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cal333
If you have been on a factory tour you won't have to worry about causing damage to your ZR1 engine - it goes from initial cold start up to "the rollers" where it is run basically full throttle through the gears - if it blows it goes to the repair box - I was at the factory when the ZR1s were first being built and there wasn't one inside the factory that did not have a "do not start" sign on it - I asked our tour guide about that and he said very quietly that "they were having problems" with the ZR1 at full throttle - apparently "the problem" has been fixed - the ZR1 engine is built to blueprinting standards - the only way those piston rings are going to seat properly is with some full throttle runs - so "drive it like you stole it" and ENJOY the very finest Corvette ever built - of course the 2009 ZR1 owners will always have the fastest ZR1 as Government Motors continues to constrain performance with "launch control" and other ridiculous castrations
What are you talking about? Launch control is an optional feature that will make average drivers faster (and reduce wear and tear on the car)and can be disabled. 2010's also have PTM that is claimed to make even the most skilled drivers faster around a track (and again, can also be disabled).
Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redknight
What are you talking about? Launch control is an optional feature that will make average drivers faster (and reduce wear and tear on the car)and can be disabled. 2010's also have PTM that is claimed to make even the most skilled drivers faster around a track (and again, can also be disabled).
The Launch control is a feature that has to be put into that mode to use it, so its not on until you put it on. And like said above, it should help the average Joe safely launch his car for the most optimum time from 0-60 and more. Looking forward to trying it, was hoping to see some that have done it on this post. Thanks,
Old 09-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Launch control makes a average driver like myself take off mush easier without spinning the tires all day long. If you don't launch control enjoy the price of each rear tire.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Anyone tried it yet? If you are scared, say you are scared. I am scared! I want someone else to try it first!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 AM
monaroCountry
Pro

Hopefully those mags can launch the car properly and not fu&* it up even more, seriously some of these mags are getting 12+sec with the ZR1.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Here is a Launch Control demonstration video by Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
hunterkiller
3rd Gear

were in Texas are you Im in San Antonio. PS I own a cts-v the forum site sucks for info on are engines so I came to your site.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by speedwaylemans
Anyone tried it yet? If you are scared, say you are scared. I am scared! I want someone else to try it first!
I have launch control on my BMW M6, and it is sweet, and very fun to do.

There is still some wheel spin, but it does manage to minimize spin while maximizing ground speed.

You guys gotta do it and let us know about it!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Come on somebody punch that pup
Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 AM
gripforce-c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ravine Speed
I have launch control on my BMW M6, and it is sweet, and very fun to do.

There is still some wheel spin, but it does manage to minimize spin while maximizing ground speed.

You guys gotta do it and let us know about it!
Off topic, but is your M6 an euro spec? Cuz mine don't have one.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Launch control is overrated, and anyone with skill at driving a manual should be able to beat it. The 2010 Camaro SS (manual only) has it, and I've tried it a few times on mine. I still ran quicker at the track with it off.

But for those who can't drive a lick, then it might be worthwhile.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:38 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by NineBall
Launch control is overrated, and anyone with skill at driving a manual should be able to beat it. The 2010 Camaro SS (manual only) has it, and I've tried it a few times on mine. I still ran quicker at the track with it off.

But for those who can't drive a lick, then it might be worthwhile.
Not sure what "skill" level you are talking about. Maybe Ranger and Jamie Furman might beat it but I would bet an awful lot of people might not.

One comment I remember Ranger making about LC on another thread is that you need to change the AH mode for LC to work, and by doing so you might have an increased potential for losing control.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by gripforce-c6
Off topic, but is your M6 an euro spec? Cuz mine don't have one.
Mine is a US 2006, and I think they all have LC. The US version holds the revs down at 2,000 rpm at launch, while the other, non-US models launch at arround 3,500.

I don't know why they did that, but they did. Nothing in the manual about it, I learned how to do it on the M5/M6 forum.

It is fun!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799
Not sure what "skill" level you are talking about. Maybe Ranger and Jamie Furman might beat it but I would bet an awful lot of people might not.
Ranger and Jamie could definitely beat it. I can beat it. I'd venture to say that 50% of people with a clue about launching a manual car could beat it. Some people learn how to ride bikes without training wheels too! I wonder when fully automatic steering and automatic braking will become options. Cars will just become a padded cocoon that passengers crawl into, and will no longer need to learn valuable driving skills.

If the ZR1 is too fast for someone, or too difficult to launch for them...maybe they should stick with a Honda and work their way up in skill. Practicing is the fun part!

Last edited by NineBall; 10-30-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:45 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Ranger and Jamie could definitely beat it. I can beat it. I'd venture to say that 50% of people with a clue about launching a manual car could beat it. Some people learn how to ride bikes without training wheels too! I wonder when fully automatic steering and automatic braking will become options. Cars will just become a padded cocoon that passengers crawl into, and will no longer need to learn valuable driving skills.

If the ZR1 is too fast for someone, or too difficult to launch for them...maybe they should stick with a Honda and work their way up in skill. Practicing is the fun part!
Regardless of your assessment of most of us Z owners, I would like to see the results, particularly with an LC car being driven by one of the better drag guys around here. That would give you an honest comparison.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
redknight
Racer

I agree with you except I think that 50% of the people who have a clue about launching a manual car is a very small number. A recent mag article said that every journalist beat the launch control on a Grand Sport but that none of them could best the lc on the more powerful ZR1.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 PM
bad c6
Heel & Toe

I have been playing with my ZR1 in an attempt to experience the launch control feature---no luck!!! I read the manual and think I have satistied the conditions necessary. Each time I hit the gas i find the rev limiter and not 4000 as I understand should happen. any help on what should be done to get the desired effect????

Get notified of new replies

To Launch Control Comments?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bad c6
I have been playing with my ZR1 in an attempt to experience the launch control feature---no luck!!! I read the manual and think I have satistied the conditions necessary. Each time I hit the gas i find the rev limiter and not 4000 as I understand should happen. any help on what should be done to get the desired effect????
Have you looked at the video again? Now you are scaring me. I have not tried it for fear of doing wrong and hitting the rev limiter. Going to review it again and look at doing it tomorrow. What the heck. Not going to drive a Honda like suggested in a post above!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Please keep us posted that is definitely not right.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 PM
DRDVETTE
Instructor

If you have it in any of the competitive driving modes (hit the traction control button twice) the revs go to 4000 and hold when you floor it until you side step the clutch. I have done it. You get wheel spin and the engine bogs until you get a bite and then you better be hanging on. Although the engine bogs you still get a limited amount of wheel spin, so I would think you are getting close to maximum acceleration.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Launch Control Comments?