Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Test drove an 04' Viper the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper vs. vette

Having a Zr1, 07 Z06 (502 RWHP) and a 08 Viper coupe I can honestly say if the garage caught on fire, the viper would be first out...It has (to me) more charisma and a fun factor than the vettes.....There is (to me) alot more to a car than speed, refinement, etc.....A friend said it the best, I would marry the vettes but I would sleep with the viper...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

So what you're saying is that you would bail the **** out of the burning garage before your wife???

Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Default Viper vs. vette

I do not have a **** in my garage, the one I had in my house (ex) is long gone....You obviously have more mouth than first hand knowledge so if ever in south Ga., stop by anytime and get educated....
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureSwank
stock 08+ viper will EAT up a stock z06 are u serious? I test drove one already the 08 Viper is a stock monster with it's torque as well. Gorgoues orange blacked striped coupe lowered on hre's. Amazing car. Extremely eye grabbing as well. To expensive so I opted out. I still love my corvette either way. The interior is crap I will admit to that
Not sure if a tenth in the quarter constitutes getting "eaten up". Sounds like a driver's race to me. Look at a recent Car and Driver comparo between the two. The Z wins again.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 AM
t01lightning
Intermediate

The vette is an impressive car but I will take an 03 - 04 viper anyday. An exhaust, coilover, and a three peice wheel and put up to any gas staion or restaurant. Im sorry but a vette is amazing but it is still a vette just as a mustang is still a mustang which I love both of them. I know some of you guys get it and you know who you are.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

IMO the only thing that many people choose the Viper (any gen) over a Corvette is that it is an attention getter. Notice that pretty much in EVERY comparo on car forums, the Vette always fights a losing battle when it comes to that. The Viper/Gallardo/Ferrari/......will make you look like a rock star. That's the main drawing point of the snake. Performance is close enough that it's not a sure win in either car. The Viper is a gorgeous car, I'd love to have a Gen 4 coupe as a weekend toy(don't like convertibles), but I can't stand being the center of attention if I had to drive it daily.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 AM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skeetdaddy
Having a Zr1, 07 Z06 (502 RWHP) and a 08 Viper coupe I can honestly say if the garage caught on fire, the viper would be first out...It has (to me) more charisma and a fun factor than the vettes.....There is (to me) alot more to a car than speed, refinement, etc.....A friend said it the best, I would marry the vettes but I would sleep with the viper...
Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
So what you're saying is that you would bail the **** out of the burning garage before your wife???

I do not have a **** in my garage, the one I had in my house (ex) is long gone....You obviously have more mouth than first hand knowledge so if ever in south Ga., stop by anytime and get educated....
Um, Earth to skeetdaddy...
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vray
Um, Earth to skeetdaddy...

Thank you....I guess that one went waaaaaaay over his head.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06

Thank you....I guess that one went waaaaaaay over his head.

Your harley looks great!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jrubicon
Your harley looks great!
Thanks jrubicon...I'm into that relationship for 15 years so far and going strong!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

LOL... I love that very nice.

I would have a 4th Gen any day too. They sound like trucks because thats what the motor is from.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Supratt6s
And was I disappointed!!!! Didn't feel nearly as powerful as my c6z06 and felt slower than my buddy's c5z06. The sound was nothing to get a smile over, interior was cramped and plain, the drive train shuttered terribly on decell and just didn't have the raw feeling everyone claims it to have over the z06. I am also standing next to a stroked 04' hitting 640rwhp all motor viper and it sounds like a beefed up truck. Why in god's name have some of you guys traded your z's for this over priced red headed stepchild disappointment?!?!?
I felt the same EXACT way you did when I had my 06 Vert delivered. I actually called Woodhouse Dodge who trucked the car out here and told them this car was way to slow to be a v-10. The Gen 3's have week tunes from the factory. To make things worse, the 3:07 gears make it feel that much slower. I took it to DC up in LA and had them tune it and put straight pipe on it with 3:55 gears, COMPLETELY different car. I picked up 40 rwhp and 52 rwtq and more under the curve. I cant tell you the difference the 3:55 GEARS make. It really is night and day. I raced two different Z's in a 2 year time period and beat them both (barely), dont know if they were modded though. The 03-06's have to have a gear change and tune. Out of all my cars that was by far my favorite. Being a mortgage broker I had to dump the car when the market went down. I actually went to trade in my lS3 for another one but couldnt get financing. So now I'm doing a forged motor and blower on my ls3. The Viper is just a special car period!!! You would have to own one to understand. For me, the Viper just had a special feeling to it that the Vette will never have. I know most die hard Vette guys cant comprehend this but for me its a fact. I'll keep my 750 rwhp Ls3 for a couple of years and then it's back to the Viper. If you've owned a modified one then you would understand, if you havent, then you wont! And yes, I still do love my Corvette. I've owned 9 all modded. If I had a choice today though, it would be a Viper
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only viper I would consider is the new ACR,and ya I know the looks are luv it or hate it,but I think it looks ok,and better yet the ACR does fly around a track,so it is for a reason.I have heard vipers and Ford GT's at track days and they sound like there truck brothers.The sound is so blah that to me if you had your eyes closed you would not be able to tell if it was a truck or super car.At least they all are and they all have postives and negatives,but for me I'll keep my MTI Racing moded Z.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I agree that at idle with the engine and side exhaust it is not the best sounding exhaust. But on a track high in the revs, I disagree, It sounds like a beast.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sky1
The only viper I would consider is the new ACR,and ya I know the looks are luv it or hate it,but I think it looks ok,and better yet the ACR does fly around a track,so it is for a reason.I have heard vipers and Ford GT's at track days and they sound like there truck brothers.The sound is so blah that to me if you had your eyes closed you would not be able to tell if it was a truck or super car.At least they all are and they all have postives and negatives,but for me I'll keep my MTI Racing moded Z.
LOL.....ours on the dyno gets good around the 42 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXf91CwdhXU
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you cant hate on 600 hp ...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
LOL.....ours on the dyno gets good around the 42 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXf91CwdhXU
Awesome vid! Ford GT is one of my all time favs.

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove an 04' Viper the other day...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I would love to add a GT to my toys.

A true American exotic.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
^ROCKSTAR^
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrubicon
I think this is what we are all trying to say

Dont get me wrong, if I had to pick, it would be the Z06. BUT if any car guy actually thinks this is not a good looking car they are
Now we're talking. Get Both!

I don't discriminate..I love all American Super cars including the
Z, Viper, FordGT etc.

I would own all three if I could.
I love my Z, I will always love my Z and I will love my viper
when I eventually get that too.

I hate to see all this senseless arguing over two amazing cars.

It's like comparing an apple to an orange....
Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Exactly, how can you go wrong.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Test drove an 04' Viper the other day...