Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Total Rejection

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Todd969
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Rejection

While many have different versions of Total Rejection I think I found out what it feels like.

Sunday morning 7:30ish me and a buddy cruise over to the local Starbucks where the "Local Corvette" people gather. Typically 25-30 show up.

We park our cars and proceed to get a beverage, return to our vehicles and talk about what to do today. During this time NOT ONE OTHER PERSON said HI or asked if we wanted to go on the run.

I just don't get it. We were atleast 20 years younger than most them, but for gosh sakes man, we aren't azzholes.

The funny thing was after we left this so called VETTE owners get together we ran over to the market for breakfast stuff and got more attention from people in that parking lot.

The world is a strange place for sure.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Todd969
While many have different versions of Total Rejection I think I found out what it feels like.

Sunday morning 7:30ish me and a buddy cruise over to the local Starbucks where the "Local Corvette" people gather. Typically 25-30 show up.

We park our cars and proceed to get a beverage, return to our vehicles and talk about what to do today. During this time NOT ONE OTHER PERSON said HI or asked if we wanted to go on the run.

I just don't get it. We were atleast 20 years younger than most them, but for gosh sakes man, we aren't azzholes.

The funny thing was after we left this so called VETTE owners get together we ran over to the market for breakfast stuff and got more attention from people in that parking lot.

The world is a strange place for sure.
It must be different out there because at our local meets you would have had 20 Corvette owners offering to buy your drinks and wanting to BS about cars. We have a good group out here that welcomes Newbies!

RICH
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Oh you must be one of those young wippersnappers who didnt have to walk 20 miles in 3 feet snow to get to school with your older brothers hand me down shoes and a cheese sandwich for lunch.

You just wouldnt relate to them.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Default Sorry that happened!

I agree with Rich - most of the folks I know are pretty friendly outgoing types. Don't give up; they may have just been preoccupied with planning the day, catching up with old friends, etc.

One thought - could you have taken the initiative and walked over and introduced yourselves? If you had still gotten the cold shoulder at that point then I would agree that it was their problem.

Oh yeah - I am one of those "old guys", but my view is that after about 30 or so age doesn't really matter anymore - there are @$$holes of all ages....

Old 08-24-2009, 04:25 PM
twinger01
Pro

sorry todd. go to the sw section and check out the cars and coffee thread for sept 5. lots of cool vette people will be there and there is a run afterwards.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Slwsvt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I have seen and heard of the VetteTax, now we got the Vette rejection because you are not a senior citizen? Jk, lol.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

ehhh i partially understand where the original poster is coming from. I've never been thru anything like that, but I will say being 27 and in the vette game... the cruises and meets i have been to where it's mostly 40/50/60 year olds, I don't exactly "fit in".

Oh well - it's better than the alternative of hanging out with some of the local 18 year old high school kids that have their honda's riced to hell.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
novaz06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have introduced yourself. It can't really be "rejection" if you didn't even approach anyone and make an effort.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by stabori
Oh you must be one of those young wippersnappers who didnt have to walk 20 miles in 3 feet snow to get to school with your older brothers hand me down shoes and a cheese sandwich for lunch.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by twinger01
sorry todd. go to the sw section and check out the cars and coffee thread for sept 5. lots of cool vette people will be there and there is a run afterwards.
Come hang with us Phoenix metro and Southern AZ crew Sept 5. I don't think you'll be dissappointed

there are some playa's in this group
Old 08-24-2009, 06:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Default You left out one part............

Originally Posted by stabori

............it was uphill both ways!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, it may not only be your age that was a contributing factor in getting a cold shoulder. I went to one of those "get togethers" about 6 years ago when I was 49, and when I had my C5 coupe. I did go up to the group of guys and introduced myself, and after the initial introductions, I was left out in the cold as well.

I think some of these groups have been meeting with the same people for sometime, and they seem to be just comfortable with themselves. It's sad really, as that's how those groups eventually die off.

The best times I have is when I go meet some of the young guys who I used to coach baseball when they were growing up. These guys really love their cars, and it's fun watching their excitement just talking anything about cars.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by toxin440
ehhh i partially understand where the original poster is coming from. I've never been thru anything like that, but I will say being 27 and in the vette game... the cruises and meets i have been to where it's mostly 40/50/60 year olds, I don't exactly "fit in".
Oh well - it's better than the alternative of hanging out with some of the local 18 year old high school kids that have their honda's riced to hell.
Haha. I'm 29 and I have made some great friends in the local Corvette crews. It does help to be the one that fixes all their cars, sells them GM parts and the person they call when their chit breaks down.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Todd969
Instructor

I'll say this about the experience, it was just not what I expected.

I left out the part about walking the small parking lot and "looking" at the others vehicles. They were in small groups talking here and there. It was really uncomfortable almost like you might be interupting and I don't seriously know if we just didn't look the part to be taken serious.

Showing up in board shorts,flips and a crappy old tank may give the wrong impression.

When I started this thread it was not a slam, but rather an observation to be taken in humor.

And to you fellow Arizonians, are you crazy? Labor Day in Havasu vs cars in Snottsdale...... I think we're heading to the Prescott deal on the 18/19.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Sounds like a weird group. Maybe they just need to die off.
I will go out of my way to make sure someone that's new is made to feel welcome at any kind of gathering. I diffidently will make a point to greet a younger person, because I like to see the younger crowd in a Vette.
Maybe they have a click that it will take more than one 'show up' to get in. Once in... you can change all that BS. If you care to get in.
Larry

Last edited by lebvette; 08-24-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Look forward to meeting you Sept. 19th, Todd969.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
panteravetteman
Instructor

I never figured it out but some car groups can be like that. If you introduce yourself and talk to a few folks but still get the weird feeling, just bail. After a year in our "Z" I can guarantee that at your very next stop you will find someone more than willing to talk about your car! Plus it shouldn't take you more than a mile or so in your car before all your troubles dissappear!

Get notified of new replies

To Total Rejection

Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 444 Posts

"And to you fellow Arizonians, are you crazy? Labor Day in Havasu vs cars in Snottsdale...... I think we're heading to the Prescott deal on the 18/19. "

When I used to run the Jet Skis way back when, I was there all the time.
Sold my 28' Sleekcraft Enforcer back in the early 90's. Still go out on the Magic Regatta's with a buddy who has a new Magic 30' Deck....those are some expensive toys.

Still have friends that live or have family there.

Short of hanging at the lake this Labor Day, you'll have a great time hanging with this AZ group we have running here when you finally hook up with us

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 08-24-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Just give up, sell your car, and get a Civic. Life's all about fitting in and worrying what other people think.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Tiggers
Racer

yeah, I've been on the outside looking it. Finally figured it out that if I bring my wife, I'll have more new friends then my son did his first day at kindergarten. She is an ex bartender and has the incredible gift of gab. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Total Rejection